PDA

View Full Version : Bencher Goes QRT

W3WN
03-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Yes, you read that right.

Bencher is exiting the Amateur Radio business. But all is not lost!

---------------

Press Release - March 18, 2015

Bencher, Inc. of Antioch Illinois announced the sale today of the Bencher Amateur Radio product lines to Vibroplex, LLC of Knoxville, Tennessee. This sale ends Bencher’s presence in the amateur radio field, thus allowing the principals, Jere Benedict, President, and Bob Locher, (W9KNI) to move towards retirement.

The product lines sold include the Bencher BY series of Iambic Paddles, (the world’s best selling iambic paddle, with over 150,000 sold) as well as the ST series of single lever paddles, the Bencher Hex Paddle, the N2DAN Mercury Paddle, and the Bencher RJ series Hand Keys. Also included in the sale are the HK-1 Universal Hook-up kit and the YA-1 Low Pass Filter.

Vibroplex has agreed to honor the manufacturer’s warranties of all covered products, and to offer parts and support for these products as well.

Vibroplex will continue to offer the Bencher products through existing marketing channels.

Vibroplex may be contacted at http://www.vibroplex.com (http://www.vibroplex.com/), or at (865) 309-5073.

Jere Benedict and Bob Locher wish to express their gratitude to the amateur radio community for its interest and support since the sale of the first Bencher amateur radio products in the early 1970’s.

-----------------------

Now, be honest. How many of you knew Bob Locher had a partner? Now we know where the name "Bencher" comes from.

And considering the sale of the Butternut antennas a few months back (boy, do i wish W4PA had gotten them instead of DXE), the news isn't really THAT surprising.

K7SGJ
03-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Since Vibroplex has keys for iambic operation in chrome, and other finishes, as well as single paddles, all of which are very similar to the Bencher line, I wonder how long the Bencher keys will continue? It seems that, although the Bencher line has been a good seller, Vibroplex could have made this move to eliminate the competition. I have several dual paddle keys as well as singles, and the difference between the Bencher and Vibroplex isn't all that dramatic, other than the looks. Of course the Benchers are a few bucks less, but, for me, the Vibroplex is a little smoother, and probably worth the little extra. However, since I bought the Begali, the others are rarely used any more. It is a fabulous paddle.

In the long run, it will be curious to see what happens.

W3WN
03-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Since Vibroplex has keys for iambic operation in chrome, and other finishes, as well as single paddles, all of which are very similar to the Bencher line, I wonder how long the Bencher keys will continue? It seems that, although the Bencher line has been a good seller, Vibroplex could have made this move to eliminate the competition. I have several dual paddle keys as well as singles, and the difference between the Bencher and Vibroplex isn't all that dramatic, other than the looks. Of course the Benchers are a few bucks less, but, for me, the Vibroplex is a little smoother, and probably worth the little extra. However, since I bought the Begali, the others are rarely used any more. It is a fabulous paddle.

In the long run, it will be curious to see what happens.I have known Scott W4PA for many years, going back to when he worked at Ten-Tec prior to his buying Vibroplex. (Anyone who's used an Orion can thank Scott, he had a huge part in the design of the radio)

He is not a fool.

As long as the Bencher paddles & keys are popular, he will sell them. (IMHO)

There is not a huge overlap in the product lines. Bencher never made a bug, for one thing.

Now, you may see some consolidation. But that will be driven by sales. We shall see. If anything, I might expect one of the Vibroplex paddles to go out of production. But not the Benchers.

But the bottom line is, the man is trying to make a living in the field that he truly loves. He's not going to do anything overtly stupid.

N8YX
03-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Me(t)h.

If I want ultra-CW-snobbery I'll buy one of these:

Or one of these:

K7SGJ
03-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Me(t)h.

Or one of these:

Bah. If you had the bottom one, you'd have to grow a third hand, or may WIK could..........oh.........never mind.

ka4dpo
03-20-2015, 03:38 PM
I think he can work them simultaneously by virtue of his massive experience as a ham. Anyway, the top keyer is totally bitchen, I don't know what it is but I want one.

suddenseer
03-20-2015, 09:25 PM
I own an old beat up bug with weights that I turned on an engine lathe. I also have the Bencher with the 5555 clock chip as sold by MFJ. This keyer set is the most fun one I have ever owned. It allows my sending to sound like I know what I am doing (I don't)

KG4CGC
03-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Congrats to the old dudes for making it to retirement.

So, what is the name of the program that allows you to type on your keyboard and send out perfect CW?

NQ6U
03-20-2015, 09:55 PM
I have one of these.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/morse/4055.jpg

I've never used it on the air because, while I can send practice code at 20 wpm or better, I can't copy it worth shit.

K7SGJ
03-20-2015, 10:58 PM
I have one of these.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/morse/4055.jpg

I've never used it on the air because, while I can send practice code at 20 wpm or better, I can't copy it worth shit.

Maybe we can start our cw QSOs next week, eh?

NQ6U
03-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Maybe we can start our cw QSOs next week, eh?

Sure. I have Mondays and Fridays off. Yeah, I know, weird schedule but WTF.

K7SGJ
03-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Sure. I have Mondays and Fridays off. Yeah, I know, weird schedule but WTF.

Sounds good. BTW, your company had a very good day in the market on Friday.

suddenseer
03-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Congrats to the old dudes for making it to retirement.

So, what is the name of the program that allows you to type on your keyboard and send out perfect CW?For people like myself with crappy typing skills, the keyer works much better. Those programs do indeed sound perfect. There were several VK's I had a CW Sked on 7 Mhz for several years. I could tell who was sending by the unique way they sent. They could tell it was me as well.

n0iu
03-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Me(t)h.

Or one of these:

Or one of these:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/mercury_zps32e3a194.jpg

Its a Bencher Mercury. Bencher bought the rights to manufacture these to N2DAN's exacting specs. They will set you back 5 Benjies but they are a dream to use. According to the Vibroplex website, they still intend on making these... for now.

Why should I let my kids inherit all my money???

K7SGJ
03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Or one of these:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/mercury_zps32e3a194.jpg

Its a Bencher Mercury. Bencher bought the rights to manufacture these to N2DAN's exacting specs. They will set you back 5 Benjies but they are a dream to use. According to the Vibroplex website, they still intend on making these... for now.

Why should I let my kids inherit all my money???

You SHOULD be spending their inheritance.

N7YA
03-21-2015, 05:37 PM
I have about 50 various keys, bugs and mini-paddles. I started out in 1983 with that old Japanese Ameco straight key that came with the cassette, i still have it mounted to an old piece of cedar siding. Moved over to a 1930's Les Logan SpeedX bug i got from Bob, KL7HDY and used it for many years. I stepped away from radio for a bit from the late 80's to the early 90's then came back about 20 years ago with a QRP rig and one of those Bencher RJ hand keys...its really nice. Very well built and heavy.

Then i went on a key binge...bought an old WWI J-6 sparky from an old biplane, J-36/37/38/etc, lots of old military keys. I have one of those Baumans dug up from an old bunker in Berlin. Strap keys, homebrews from cabinet parts and Altoids tins, mini-paddles made from office supplies, old 1800's railroad landline keys, legstraps, Russian practice keys, a custom Ukranian key with red oak parts, one of those lunky Chinese paperweights, KOB's, etc, etc, etc...but the only one on the desk right now is my trusty 1966 Vibroplex standard original...all dusty and coffee splattered. I've logged many new ones with this bug.

So, for me, Vibroplex buying out Bob so he can retire just seems natural. We arent talking about multi-billion dollar, world economic changing megacorps here. Its like when CBS bought out Fender, the guitars were still great! They will only retire the Bencher name if sales disappear. I also had no idea thats how Bencher got its name...simple. Combine their names. Whodathunkit?

NQ6U
03-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Sounds good. BTW, your company had a very good day in the market on Friday.

It did? Who gnu? I was under the impression that it was privately held.

ON EDIT: I was right—it is privately held.

K7SGJ
03-21-2015, 08:40 PM
It did? Who gnu? I was under the impression that it was privately held.

ON EDIT: I was right—it is privately held.

Darden?

K7SGJ
03-21-2015, 08:42 PM
My error. I thought it was owned by Darden. Never mind. Little Whinny Bitch

NQ6U
03-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Darden?

Nope, don't work for them. I work for a company call Garden Fresh Restaurants, Inc., which is owned by private equity firm Sun Capital Partners

NA4BH
03-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Nope, don't work for them. I work for a company call Garden Fresh Restaurants, Inc., which is owned by private equity firm Sun Capital Partners

They're the ones with the trucks that have the slogan "18 WHEELS of DIARRHEA" painted on the side.

suddenseer
03-22-2015, 12:29 AM
They're the ones with the trucks that have the slogan "18 WHEELS of DIARRHEA" painted on the side.

Ahh shit.....

N7YA
03-22-2015, 06:14 AM

...i think i just found what i am paining on my trunk! :yes:

KG4NEL
03-31-2015, 10:28 AM
That first one looks like a GHD.

KG4NEL
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Not to be confused with a Glute-Ham Developer, ironically something that most hamfest attendees would benefit from:

http://store.sorinex.com/v/vspfiles/photos/P01651-8.jpg

KG4NEL
03-31-2015, 10:30 AM

And a dozen roses?

N7YA
03-31-2015, 02:37 PM
Not to be confused with a Glute-Ham Developer, ironically something that most hamfest attendees would benefit from:

http://store.sorinex.com/v/vspfiles/photos/P01651-8.jpg

....and roll right on by as fast as their Hoveround will carry them.

K7SGJ
03-31-2015, 03:39 PM
And a dozen roses?

10 more miles on his four day runs.