PDA

View Full Version : In-Laws

W3WN
03-18-2015, 07:55 AM
With Little Miss Field Day due to graduate from High School this May, amongst many other things, we are in the midst of planning her Graduation Party.

Simplest thing would be to hold it at our place, but due to multiple considerations (small yard, no parking, doggy doughnuts), we decided to rent a pavilion at a local park. First choice was one of our borough's parks, but the only one available on the day selected was $150, plus deposit and a copy of our homeowners insurance policy. (It did include access to the baseball diamond and football/soccer field)

So we went with one of the county parks. South Park (no relation) is only a couple of miles from us, and they have a lot of places. We found that one we were familiar with was available, cost was only $30 for the permit, and we have it for the day. Yea.

That was all settled last week.

So yesterday, the Boss gets a phone call from her mother. Good news!, she says. My father-in-law, who is on the borough council in their community, and is responsible for their parks and athletic fields, checked and found out that the pavilion that THEY like (used for many annual family reunions over the years) was available. And only $50! He decided to reserve it for us, and they'll even pick up the tab! How wonderful!

(In case you're wondering, there's no refund on our reservation. We can change the date or the pavilion -- twice -- at no cost, but no refunds. Not that $30 would kill us.)

And, she had all sorts of "suggestions" for what food we should provide, who we should get it from, what we should do...

The Boss tried to decline this wonderful invitation. My M-I-L wouldn't have it. So, the Boss finally said that she'd ask LMFD if she'd want to move the party. LMFD did not want to; she'd already started telling her friends where and when. And the simple reality is that Harbor Grove in South Park is easy to find with plenty of parking, and a real bathroom nearby. The other park is a pain in the anatomy to find, if you're not familiar with the area, and only has a single port-a-potty.

So the Boss declined again.

Now my mother-in-law is upset with me. Somehow, this is all my doing.

*sigh*

KK4AMI
03-18-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm familiar with that predicament. I thought that was the purpose of having a spouse. My wife blames everything we do on me so she maintains "Daddy's Little Girl" status (at age 54) and I am forever the Sh*&tty Ass Son-n-Law. Luckily he is 85 so he forgets fast. Our move to North Carolina is of course completely my fault. He thinks we are deserting him in Virginia and it must be my fault, so I should be ashamed of myself. Never mind he got me started going to NC on vacations and my wife wants to go to. Wadda ya gonna do? Family ya just can't live with them, cause they are going to kill you! :lol:

Oh, my congrats to your daughter.

K7SGJ
03-18-2015, 10:57 AM
First and foremost, congratulations to LMFD on her impending graduation. As far as the other clusterfuck is concerned, you guys have to do what you have to do. BUT, if it were me, I would make it clear that it is her graduation, and she wants to hold the party here ______________. If anyone has a problem with it, just send the checks and gifts checks to her at the home address.

One thing comes to mind, when she decides to get married, is someone else choosing the dress, church, and reception area? Just saying........

The dilemma sucks, good luck on getting it worked out. And keep in mind, on that day, the only one you need to please is your daughter, it's HER day.

N8GAV
03-18-2015, 11:43 AM
In most cases the son- in- law is always WRONG. Funny thing is I got along great with my mother's in law, both of them were damn good to me. Now my mother's law daughters that's a whole different story............

KG4NEL
03-18-2015, 11:53 AM
I remember my grad party...sort of...

W3WN
03-18-2015, 12:33 PM
The funny thing about being the bad guy is that I did exactly squat. Oh, I suggested the shelter that we're using (one of 3) but I didn't make the final choice, the ladies did. So it's my fault on general principles, I guess.

That said, my attitude on this is simple. It's LMFD's party. She picks the venue. She invites the guests (although we'll invite some as well!). She will have a say in the decorations, the food, all that stuff.

If my in-laws have a problem with that... tough. It's not their party.

And for that matter, while I'm thinking of it, anyone who's one of the Island Regulars can consider themselves invited to stop by... yes, I know most of you aren't in the area & aren't likely to be. But just in case...

And Hank? Since July 4th is a Saturday, we should already have tickets to the game. But if you get tickets again through your sources from a couple of years ago, we can still meet up somewhere before or during the game.

WØTKX
03-18-2015, 12:33 PM
My own parents are worse than my in-laws. :rofl:

NM5TF
03-18-2015, 12:39 PM
my in-laws expect me to wear a SHIRT WITH A COLLAR...

OH THE HUMANITY !!!

K7SGJ
03-18-2015, 01:35 PM
The funny thing about being the bad guy is that I did exactly squat. Oh, I suggested the shelter that we're using (one of 3) but I didn't make the final choice, the ladies did. So it's my fault on general principles, I guess.

That said, my attitude on this is simple. It's LMFD's party. She picks the venue. She invites the guests (although we'll invite some as well!). She will have a say in the decorations, the food, all that stuff.

If my in-laws have a problem with that... tough. It's not their party.

And for that matter, while I'm thinking of it, anyone who's one of the Island Regulars can consider themselves invited to stop by... yes, I know most of you aren't in the area & aren't likely to be. But just in case...

And Hank? Since July 4th is a Saturday, we should already have tickets to the game. But if you get tickets again through your sources from a couple of years ago, we can still meet up somewhere before or during the game.

Lessee here, Carl can swing by here and pick me up, then a quick dash up to Vegas to get Adam, and then for the Coup De Gras, we can drop down to redneck country and pick up Bob, then the park for the graduation party. I really think the four of us can add a lot of "spice" to the event. Oh, by the way, don't worry about the in-laws, we'll have the Pope with us who just happens to be of Sicilian ancestry. He knows how to make a deal that won't be refused.

W3WN
03-18-2015, 02:26 PM
That's what you think. My mother-in-law's ancestry is 100% Italian. Sicilian doesn't bother her in the LEAST.

N8GAV
03-18-2015, 03:35 PM

Oh yes I will get tickets, but the for game's this year there are for 2 games, one in May the other in Sept. not sure of dates. The Sept. one will be a 9/11 salute. No July 4th game. Getting tickets for both.

KK4AMI
03-18-2015, 04:26 PM
I remember my grad party...sort of...

I remember mine... Pilgrims, Indians, Corn Liquor and a three hundred pound Indian maiden. Her Dad swore I didn't need no damn education, all I needed was her in life.

K7SGJ
03-18-2015, 05:11 PM
I remember mine... Pilgrims, Indians, Corn Liquor and a three hundred pound Indian maiden. Her Dad swore I didn't need no damn education, all I needed was her in life.

I've heard of that maiden. They named her Ninety Eighty Cents because she was always under a buck....

NQ6U
03-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Lessee here, Carl can swing by here and pick me up, then a quick dash up to Vegas to get Adam, and then for the Coup De Gras, we can drop down to redneck country and pick up Bob, then the park for the graduation party.

The Coupe de Gras is in the shop. We'll have to take the Eldorado.

K7SGJ
03-18-2015, 06:10 PM
The Coupe de Gras is in the shop. We'll have to take the Eldorado.

Damn, I really like the Coup de Gras, you can mow down anybody that gets in the way.

NA4BH
03-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Lessee here, Carl can swing by here and pick me up, then a quick dash up to Vegas to get Adam, and then for the Coup De Gras, we can drop down to redneck country and pick up Bob, then the park for the graduation party. I really think the four of us can add a lot of "spice" to the event. Oh, by the way, don't worry about the in-laws, we'll have the Pope with us who just happens to be of Sicilian ancestry. He knows how to make a deal that won't be refused.

That will be a fun trip. Ron is gonna shit when we show up.

The Boss tried to decline this wonderful invitation. My M-I-L wouldn't have it.

Besides, you left the "F" off of "M-I-L".

W3WN
03-19-2015, 07:39 AM
If you guys really want to do all that travellin' for some rubber chicken, more power to you.

Just make sure you bring a nice card for LMFD.

WØTKX
03-19-2015, 12:00 PM
NSFW, if you Know Code. :evil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DqI5AxY5M (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DqI5AxY5M)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3DqI5AxY5M

KC2UGV
03-19-2015, 12:38 PM
So it's my fault on general principles, I guess.

It's always the Son-in-law's fault. Just general principle.