PDA

View Full Version : NiMH charging circuit

KC2UGV
02-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Ok, so I have a handful of 6V solar cells, and need to charge a 12V battery, preferably NiMH (LiPO and LiON are too dangerous, Lead Acid too heavy). Kicker? The battery(ies) need to be powering a pretty heavy load at the same time.

Anyone have a circuit link/design/whatever for something like this?

If it's not doable with a NiMH, I'm open to SLA chemistry too. I'll just need to redesigning the chassis and motors for the unit I'm working with.

NQ6U
02-20-2015, 08:03 PM
NiMH batteries can be charged with the same type of charger as NiCad batteries but I don't know if there's one that will allow it to charge while supplying power at the same time.

KC2UGV
02-20-2015, 08:16 PM
NiMH batteries can be charged with the same type of charger as NiCad batteries but I don't know if there's one that will allow it to charge while supplying power at the same time.

Hm... So, maybe I'm going with an SLA, since I can float it. It's easier to do, I know that much. It's not too hard redesigning the chassis, but I'll have to source some motors.

Or, maybe, I can shut down the robot when voltages hit a certain "low water mark", and do something that flips charging on until it's fully charged, then flip charger off, and power the bot back up...

NQ6U
02-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Just to be clear, when I said "I don't know if there's one that will allow it to charge while supplying power at the same time," I meant exactly that—I don't know. I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't one.

KC2UGV
02-20-2015, 08:26 PM
Just to be clear, when I said "I don't know if there's one that will allow it to charge while supplying power at the same time," I meant exactly that—I don't know. I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't one.

The google appears to not know of one either :( While, absence of evidence is not proof of non-existence, well...