PDA

View Full Version : Well, this will be fun.....

KJ3N
02-17-2015, 01:14 AM
The wife wanted to run an errand before the snow arrived later in the evening. Pushed the button for the garage door opener and it said, "no fucking way!" I could see the door was askew, but it wasn't until I looked up that I saw why.

For those of you playing the home game, there are supposed to be 2 springs on each side of the door. Oh, did I mention that this is a double-wide (16 feet by 7 feet) solid wood door?

Until I can find a way to get the door up (and the track support temporarily fixed), the wife's car is trapped for the time being. So is the snow blower, BTW.

SOAB.....

VE7DCW
02-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Believe it or not Jim......I have the same problem with my garage door.....solid wood panel door with a broken spring and somehow the track went a little skewed.I can't raise my door either and it's been that way for a few months.......nothing stored in it but some furniture, a few sawhorses and a couple of ladders.......nothing i'll need till summer.Mind you it's not freezing cold here with snow up to my whatzits..... :-P

N7YA
02-17-2015, 02:26 AM
This is the one thing we will try to enjoy for the short time we are remaining here because next winter will be our first one back in New England. Fortunately, its not our first ever. But we fully expect to have our asses handed to us.

W5BRM
02-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Cars inside?
Insert key into ignition
Start car
transmission into "drive" or "1st gear" if standard
floor it!

You're moving anyway...lol call it a "renovation"

KJ3N
02-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Cars inside?
Insert key into ignition
Start car
transmission into "drive" or "1st gear" if standard
floor it!

You're moving anyway...lol call it a "renovation"

We are not moving.

At least I was able to get the snow blower out through the entrance door next to the garage door. The next trick is getting her car out.

NA4BH
02-17-2015, 11:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1ez7yL_T4

W5BRM
02-17-2015, 11:28 AM
We are not moving.

At least I was able to get the snow blower out through the entrance door next to the garage door. The next trick is getting her car out.

Ahh oops for some reason I thought the OP was N7YA. My bad! Solution still works though... in a sense... heheh

WØTKX
02-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Where did that spring go, and did it release with enough force to damage something? :chin:

N2CHX
02-17-2015, 01:10 PM
This is the one thing we will try to enjoy for the short time we are remaining here because next winter will be our first one back in New England. Fortunately, its not our first ever. But we fully expect to have our asses handed to us.

Next winter I'm sending you all our Buffalo snow. Have fun! :twisted:

N2CHX
02-17-2015, 01:13 PM
That totally sucks, Jim. I have had two springs break on my garage door since we bought the house in '09, but my door is light aluminum and only 10 feet wide.

W3WN
02-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Next winter I'm sending you all our Buffalo snow. Have fun! :twisted:Snow with a tangy taste that is great on chicken wings? Interesting, but it's not my thing. Thanks anyway.

W3WN
02-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Jim,

You may need to call in a professional on this one.

You can't replace the springs with the door down. It has to be raised to take the tension off of them. From your description, I have the impression that with this spring broken, there isn't enough counter-poise from the remaining springs to allow you to easily raise it.

If you can raise it, and are going to replace the springs yourself, two suggestions:

(a) Once the door is safely up, brace it with 2x4's. I'd say use one on each end, get the wife's car out, then add another one or two to cover the middle.
(b) Replace ALL of the springs. Odds are that if one failed, the others may fail fairly soon as well.

K7SGJ
02-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Hell, I'd keep the door and build another garage around it, but then, I could be full of shit.

N2CHX
02-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Hell, I'd keep the door and build another garage around it, but then, I could be full of shit.

Could? :snicker:

KG4CGC
02-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Could? :snicker:

Rat Turds, (now available in vacuum sealed pouches).

KJ3N
02-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Jim,

You may need to call in a professional on this one.

You can't replace the springs with the door down. It has to be raised to take the tension off of them. From your description, I have the impression that with this spring broken, there isn't enough counter-poise from the remaining springs to allow you to easily raise it.

If you can raise it, and are going to replace the springs yourself, two suggestions:

(a) Once the door is safely up, brace it with 2x4's. I'd say use one on each end, get the wife's car out, then add another one or two to cover the middle.
(b) Replace ALL of the springs. Odds are that if one failed, the others may fail fairly soon as well.

I wound up taking the thing apart in 3 pieces (there are 5 panels) and lifted the pieces up one at a time. I had to brace the end of the track with a 2 by 6 temporarily. Got the wife's car out, then reassembled everything back together.

I'm not replacing any springs at this point. This is the second spring failure we've had to go through. The XYL says time to replace it, so that's what's going to happen. It's just going to take 3 weeks because (of course) nobody stocks a double-wide door, apparently.

It will sit as-is for now. A 300lb door isn't going anywhere easily, and I've engaged the internal locking rod. It's secure for now and the car is free. I'll let the professionals deal with it when they arrive with the new door.

K7SGJ
02-17-2015, 08:22 PM
I wound up taking the thing apart in 3 pieces (there are 5 panels) and lifted the pieces up one at a time. I had to brace the end of the track with a 2 by 6 temporarily. Got the wife's car out, then reassembled everything back together.

I'm not replacing any springs at this point. This is the second spring failure we've had to go through. The XYL says time to replace it, so that's what's going to happen. It's just going to take 3 weeks because (of course) nobody stocks a double-wide door, apparently.

It will sit as-is for now. A 300lb door isn't going anywhere easily, and I've engaged the internal locking rod. It's secure for now and the car is free. I'll let the professionals deal with it when they arrive with the new door.

A very sound and wise decision that can only come with maturity and experience. Listening to the wife, that is.

N7YA
02-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Next winter I'm sending you all our Buffalo snow. Have fun! :twisted:

Im sure we will have plenty. They are getting hammered up there right now. I still would rather be there, putting logs on the fire than sitting here, hiding in my house from gunshots and drivers who only want to kill or die on the road. The stupid here hurts...it really hurts!

kb2vxa
02-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Calling in the pros is safer but not as funny as Red Green. He only needs two tools to fix anything. If it's supposed to move and doesn't use WD-40. If it's not supposed to move and does use duct tape.

KG4CGC
02-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Im sure we will have plenty. They are getting hammered up there right now. I still would rather be there, putting logs on the fire than sitting here, hiding in my house from gunshots and drivers who only want to kill or die on the road. The stupid here hurts...it really hurts!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas_zps8e076598.jpg

VE7DCW
02-22-2015, 09:33 PM
A very sound and wise decision that can only come with maturity and experience. Listening to the wife, that is.

Oh....... Eddie...... you still listen to the wife? ....... I thought you would've got over that long ago! :mrgreen:

suddenseer
02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kKqPxd2FyGA/SirkcH3oh0I/AAAAAAAACKA/soH6uYY51Y4/s400/3371276705_9176776d13.jpg

K0RGR
02-24-2015, 03:34 PM
That's why I say a little prayer every time I push the button on the remote opener. One time, somebody bent the track rail that supports the door. I was able to bend the track back to what looked like it was good again, and the door worked great twice. On the third attempt, the whole thing fell apart. I was left standing there with the panels scattered all around me. Fortunately, I knew somebody who does garage doors as a retirement job. I called him, and in a couple hours, we had things back to normal. We've had springs break before - if you think you hear a loud gunshot in your garage, it may be a spring. Is there a safety wire on that one? At least the safety wire will prevent the spring from breaking and decapitating bystanders.

kb2vxa
02-24-2015, 08:54 PM
One time my father crashed his car into the 4X4 support member knocking it several inches off the base and bending the door rail so the door was stuck open and wouldn't budge. OK, one good crash deserves another so my '73 Chevy having a bumper that took down a row of small trees (long story) crashed it perfectly upright in one shot and as an added bonus straightened the rail. I'd like to see you do that with one of today's cars!

K7SGJ
02-24-2015, 09:20 PM
I think the air bag would prevent you from seeing much of anything.

kb2vxa
02-25-2015, 08:44 PM
That's good, you don't want to see the whole front of your car caved in like a beer can run over by a truck with a 4X4 sticking out of it.

suddenseer
02-25-2015, 08:51 PM
I think the air bag would prevent you from seeing much of anything. "Does your car have an airbag?" "Not at the moment, I left her at home."

K4PIH
02-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Ah, a Red Green acolyte! I once heard a Navy man describe the only 2 things you needed to know to be a Cephelapod. If it moves salute it, if it don't move paint it.
Calling in the pros is safer but not as funny as Red Green. He only needs two tools to fix anything. If it's supposed to move and doesn't use WD-40. If it's not supposed to move and does use duct tape.