PDA

View Full Version : Fedora + Fedup + No Space Left On device

n2ize
02-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Okay, I was doing a routine network upgrade on my main system from F20 to F21 using fedup and after a while it stopped downloading the new packages and left me a message saying "no space left on device".

The problem is that the directory in which fedup cache's the new packages is on too small a partition (I should have made it larger). However there is a ton of free space on the drive (it's a 4 Tb drive). I know I can probably soft link fedup's cache directory to a larger partiton and work around this problem. However, I ran into this same problem when i was upgrading the same system from F19 to F20 and I seem to remember a command that lets you specify where you want fedup to store the cache on the command line. However, for the life of me I can't find it anywhere in the man or info pages nor in any online docs. If anyone recalls or knows of such an option to "fedup" please refresh my memory. Otherwise I guess I can just make a link to another partition.

KC2UGV
02-12-2015, 04:59 PM
/etc/yum.conf is where you specify yum's cachedir:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Configuring_Yum_and_Yum_Repositories.html

Fedup? I dunno.

n2ize
02-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Okay, no problem. I did a soft link and it seems to be downloading the whole shebang and seems like it's gonna work. Fedup downloads to /var/cache/system-upgrade. I made a link as so

ln -s /var/cache/system-upgrade /mnt/volume1/system-upgrade

/mnt/volume1 is a partiton that I use to store music, media files, projects, etc. It has a lot of free space.

n2ize
02-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Spoke too soon. Fedup still tried to store the cache in the same partition. I tried a few other changes and am retrying it. Hope it will work this time round. I remember last time there was a simple way I did it. can't seem to find it anywhere. I should have checked fedup.log. Perhaps it would be explained in there. :(

KC2UGV
02-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Spoke too soon. Fedup still tried to store the cache in the same partition. I tried a few other changes and am retrying it. Hope it will work this time round. I remember last time there was a simple way I did it. can't seem to find it anywhere. I should have checked fedup.log. Perhaps it would be explained in there. :(

Remove the cached files from the old dir, before you mount the new filesystem. And, you might want to wait to mount it until after a reboot, to clear file locks and whatnot, as processes open already will keep writing to the under dir.

n2ize
02-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Thanks. All worked out well. I am on the updated system and so far so good.

Now, in a couple months we'll be updating to F22. :chin::lol:

n6hcm
02-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Thanks. All worked out well. I am on the updated system and so far so good.

Now, in a couple months we'll be updating to F22. :chin::lol:

it doesn't have to be that way, you know ... you can choose a more stable distribution.

n2ize
02-14-2015, 11:42 PM
it doesn't have to be that way, you know ... you can choose a more stable distribution.

Yeah I know. But I like being a test pilot. So far Fedora 21 is kickass stable, Flies like a blackbird.

n6hcm
02-17-2015, 03:48 AM
except when it's not.

n2ize
02-17-2015, 04:12 PM
except when it's not.

Fedora tends to put in a lot of bleeding edge components and apps. In the past that has led to certain difficulties and stability issues. Such was the case when I upgraded to earlier versions of Fedora, in particular for example when I upgraded to Fedora 16 KDE was crashing periodically but after a few routine updates it became rock stable. Lately recent distro upgrades have been pretty much problem free and pretty stable. For instance upgrading to Fedora 19, 20, and 21 left me with a very stable workstation. The Fedora 21 upgrade did break one or two of my apps but fortunately there were easy fixes to the problems. Otherwise things have been very stable so far. The one drawback to fedora is that it has a rapid upgrade cycle. For example if I really wanted to I could jump the gun and upgrade to Fedora 22 beta version. However, I think I'll wait for a stable release of F22 before I go on to the next upgrade. Most likely I'll upgrade sometime in June or July. On average I do about 2 upgrades per year. The rapid upgrade cycle is one reason I generally don't recommend Fedora to newbies of for those who just want a stable workstation with a minimal amount of tinkering and upgrading. Otherwise I like Fedora's bleeding edge concept as it often lends itself to early support for new protocols, formats, and new hardware support. Virtually every Linux distro has it's pluses and minuses. For the average user who isn't concerned about bleeding edge components and support I generally recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu (for KDE afficionados).