PDA

View Full Version : Genetically Modified or Soy Product?

koØm
02-04-2015, 11:17 AM
What am I talking about?

Where's the BEEF Chicken?

I went to Subway and purchased a Chicken-Bacon Club Melt sandwich -- after a couple of bites, I started to stare at the sandwich; I cannot taste the meat!

Even though I watched the Deli-Barista make it, I "decompiled" the sandwich for inspection, everything was there but "the taste". The bacon was just there for decoration and the "Chicken".........the Chicken did not feel or taste like real chicken; it felt more like a sponge in consistency and was almost without any flavor, as for the Bacon, I think that they used Crayola Markers to color Tofu made in the shape of Bacon.

Is it possible to make imitation "Chicken" from Soy products? If so, then, that's what Subway is selling instead of real Chicken.

IMHO (feeble mind), Subway Inc. is counting on customers piling on so much of the free veggies and condiments that you cannot notice the quality or lack thereof in the meat on the sandwich.

PA5COR
02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Mostly those products are made of machine cleaned bones left over from producing chicken meat, the remaining meat is mechanically separated from the bones, and some products are used to bind the mulch together and pressed in meat like forms adding salt and other ingredients to give it some taste.
( as pipefitter welder I worked in the food industry as well, so some hands on experience here....)
You really did expect real chicken in the sandwich? tut tut tut....;)

W3WN
02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
A few months back, Arby's was running ads with some retired NYC (I think) detective. The point of a few of the early commercials was that Subway processes their lunch meat (well, alleged meat) in a factory & ships them to the stores. (Of course, allegedly, Arby's slices fresh. Sure. )

So is it "real" chicken, as in a full boneless (cooked) chicken breast that's been sliced? I doubt it. It's processed into a "chicken loaf", something on the lines of what you buy at the deli when you order the (cheap) sliced chicken "breast" or other white chicken "meat." Bits & pieces glued together with selected animal-related proteins, fats, and lord know what else.

I don't buy that crap at the deli. I don't buy it on a Subway sandwich.

They advertise that some of these "chicken" sandwiches use actual hunks of chicken instead of the sliced lunch "meat". At least at the stores around work, those appear to be "real" chicken meat. Processed with lord knows what, though.

KG4NEL
02-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I stopped eating at Subway years ago.

I can't say I'm virulently anti-fast food, but there are so many good local places around here I just haven't bothered. The price differential really isn't all that much.

kb2vxa
02-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Ahhh, meat paste. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_separated_meat Yummy yummy yummy I've got goo in my tummy and I think I'm gonna puke. <ralf>

KG4CGC
02-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Hey, whadda ya want for 5 bux?
We have a Jersey Mike's that opened up near by. Got lunch there a couple of times. You can taste the meat. A few basic toppings. You know, the regular stuff but it's good quality ... and you pay for it.

kd6nig
02-05-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm guessing Subway, Arby's, etc are like Taco Bell where the meat comes in large clear bags which then go into a microwave, and then are put into the dispenser for "deployment" on the various things they serve.

Arby's meat just looks more like meat.

kb2vxa
02-05-2015, 06:01 PM
A Jersey Mike's in South Carolina? Now I've seen everything... until tomorrow. It must be better than the one in this town, the worst in town, a skimpy and overpriced wish sandwich. So why do I rarely see a car in the parking lot?