PDA

View Full Version : Wanna know why Ham Radio will never get more frequency allocation?

W5BRM
01-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Wanna know why Ham Radio will never get more frequency allocation?

http://www.cnet.com/news/fcc-rakes-in-45-billion-from-wireless-spectrum-auction/

We just aint got enough money!

N8YX
01-29-2015, 07:16 PM
We don't efficiently use what we currently have in the VHF and higher spectrum.

KG4NEL
01-29-2015, 07:33 PM
I'd like to see more low frequency allocations in the US (600 meters, 136KHz, etc) and coordination between the current ones (40 meters and Europe comes to mind).

Other than that, we have enough.

kb2vxa
01-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Gee, I never would have guessed! (;->) BTW FirstNet isn't the only user of 700MHz, police trunked systems are popping up like mushrooms since between cell phones, individual (mostly OEM and police secondary) frequencies and trunked police systems 800MHz is full up. It's not the first nor the only national interoperability system either, groups of VHF, UHF and 800MHz frequencies are allocated for the same purpose with repeaters in place and portables cached in strategic locations. Having the lot in my scanner and since they're not specifically for emergencies I've heard a few used by police for fund raising marathons. Amateurs are also involved, clubs having groups of members stationed along the route using their repeaters. It's interesting listening to them handing it off from one repeater to another along the route.

WØTKX
01-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Way back when, hams got allocations at 200 meters and down.

Because those wavelengths were considered worthless. ;)

W7XF
01-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Be careful what we wish for....we just might get 60 Hz.:mrgreen:

n2ize
01-29-2015, 11:45 PM
At this rate we might even lose some frequencies.

KF4ZGZ
01-31-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm surprised we haven't already lost allocations.

Matt

K7SGJ
01-31-2015, 11:12 AM
We did lose part of 220.

suddenseer
01-31-2015, 11:42 PM
We did lose part of 220.I think the pisser of that bad deal was UPS bought the spectrum, and elected to go with sub microwave trunking systems, at least that is the local jibber jabber. I think the old "you dont use it you lose it" rings true.

K0RGR
02-03-2015, 04:14 PM
UPS got the frequencies by agreeing to use 'amplitude compandored sideband' instead of commercial FM. Once FCC gave them the band, they petitioned to allow FM there, because ACSSB was 'too hard'. FCC said no. I understand there are still a handful of commercial users in that band using ACSSB. A friend of mine bought a surplus ACSSB repeater for that frequency range, and was trying to move it up into the ham band. Some SDRs can generate ACSSB. It would be really neat if we could get those two MHz back, along with a bunch of ACSSB repeaters and mobile rigs.

w6tmi
02-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Why? Even here in the middle of LA, 220 for the most part is a wasteland. We didn't use it, lost it. I don't see us suddenly using it. If anything I'd not mind playing on 4 meters.
Some of the digital modes might re-invigorate 2 and .70. Although having bought a dstar radio, fairly disappointed in the sound quality, so a'well..

HUGH
02-07-2015, 05:59 PM
In rural areas the VHF and UHF bands seem constantly dead, until there's a contest that is, and then it's crammed full of signals, some less than immaculate.
Never mind that, I can't work out what all this STUFF is that people want that requires so much bandwidth, is it those that have ears glued to cellphones, watch TV anywhere and everywhere, (usually c**p) or what?
When the dog takes me for a walk I like to listen for new bird song, small animals in the undergrowth or even just the wind in the trees, not being one for sporting wax-collecting earpieces all day. Last year I nearly ran over a total of 3 people, all preoccupied with their gadgets.
Ahh, tirade over, I feel better now.

kb2vxa
02-08-2015, 12:44 PM
232 was a flash in the pan, "everybody" jumped on the bandwagon and new repeaters (some linked) sprang up like lawn mushrooms on a spring morning. That lasted about a year so I ended up buying a new rig and programming it for nothing. I had an old Icom very user unfriendly and when it was still in use back in Lizardbreath I found a few ACSSB users between 220 and 232 but that was years ago so I have no idea if that segment is still used or not. The Icom is long gone and here I've become a paper ham anyway. (:-<)

On edit:
"Some of the digital modes might re-invigorate 2 and .70."
Yeah, good luck. I went through the trouble of installing software and building an interface only to find no replies to a single CQ on any digital mode. If that wasn't bad enough trying to get the FMers to QSY and switch to SSB was like pulling hen's teeth!

KJ3N
02-08-2015, 01:08 PM
In rural areas the VHF and UHF bands seem constantly dead, until there's a contest that is, and then it's crammed full of signals, some less than immaculate.
Never mind that, I can't work out what all this STUFF is that people want that requires so much bandwidth, is it those that have ears glued to cellphones, watch TV anywhere and everywhere, (usually c**p) or what?
When the dog takes me for a walk I like to listen for new bird song, small animals in the undergrowth or even just the wind in the trees, not being one for sporting wax-collecting earpieces all day. Last year I nearly ran over a total of 3 people, all preoccupied with their gadgets.
Ahh, tirade over, I feel better now.

http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/GET-OFF-MY-LAWN.jpg

w6tmi
02-08-2015, 10:18 PM

On edit:
"Some of the digital modes might re-invigorate 2 and .70."
Yeah, good luck. I went through the trouble of installing software and building an interface only to find no replies to a single CQ on any digital mode. If that wasn't bad enough trying to get the FMers to QSY and switch to SSB was like pulling hen's teeth!

I'm not referring to computer digital modes, I mean more like Dstar, DMR, P25 etc.

But yes, you may be right it may be more a "toy" fad..

KG4NEL
02-09-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm not referring to computer digital modes, I mean more like Dstar, DMR, P25 etc.

But yes, you may be right it may be more a "toy" fad..

There's a few of those around here, D-Star and MOTOTRBO.

The cost-return analysis doesn't work for me, but maybe to some it does. I just don't see what they're doing that's all that different from regular FM.