PDA

View Full Version : Junk Store Anonymous!

WX7P
01-28-2015, 12:19 PM
I have a jones. A bad jones.

Junk Stores.

Goodwill
Salvation Army
St. Vincent de Paul

You name it.

My printer/scanner? 10 bucks at the junk store new in the box
My Monitor? 10 bucks at the junk store
My rotisserie? (by RONCO!) 10 bucks at the junk store

Thrifty you say? Hardly.

For every 10 buck Ronco, I come home with some of this stuff:

Gotta have one of these! FRS clip radio for outdoor activities! It's a TREK! Just like my bike! Yeah right...

Everyone needs phones, right? It took a lot of experimentation, but I've found the Panasonic TGA-600 handsets work the best. Unfortunately, I figured that out after after buying other really cheap phones. Now I have phones for every room and my non-existent garage and shed. At least the batteries are all good.

Atomic Clocks. Got one in every room. If you're lucky, the clock will see your existing outdoor temp sensor.

EVERYONE has to have their own personal toothpick dispensing penguin. Right? RIGHT?

The Junk Stores do come up with a gem now and then. This is a General Electric 7-2990A made by Panasonic. This radio really performs with just the supplied antenna. This makes all the junk store adventures worthwhile!

NQ6U
01-28-2015, 12:33 PM
EVERYONE has to have their own personal toothpick dispensing penguin. Right? RIGHT?

I don't know how I've lived without one all these years!

KC2UGV
01-28-2015, 01:08 PM
I've got the same problem... I wish Amvets had a frequent shoppers program lol

KG4CGC
01-28-2015, 10:53 PM
I used to love goin' junk storin'. Recently a lot of the shops put the good stuff on ebay. Items like the one pictured last in Janet's post. I used to love that stuff.
`

N7YA
01-29-2015, 06:32 AM

Hey, a GE World Monitor II (it looks like the II)! I had a Heath Mohican and one of these, its what i used to really dig into SWLing. I used to tune in the coastal stations and learned code by listening to their traffic. The drift was horrid, but the sensitivity was pretty sweet. I had to tape some dense foam to the bottom of the right handle on the front to rest my pinkie on while i tuned...which i did for hours. Even took it to school to give a demonstration about SW radio that nobody gave a shit about, but that was the day my science teacher introduced me to Ken, KL7JAI, who got me into ham radio.

Who knows what hobbies i would have gotten into had i found a toothpick dispensing penguin.

K7SGJ
01-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Hey, a GE World Monitor II (it looks like the II)! I had a Heath Mohican and one of these, its what i used to really dig into SWLing. I used to tune in the coastal stations and learned code by listening to their traffic. The drift was horrid, but the sensitivity was pretty sweet. I had to tape some dense foam to the bottom of the right handle on the front to rest my pinkie on while i tuned...which i did for hours. Even took it to school to give a demonstration about SW radio that nobody gave a shit about, but that was the day my science teacher introduced me to Ken, KL7JAI, who got me into ham radio.

Who knows what hobbies i would have gotten into had i found a toothpick dispensing penguin.

No shit. Who knows, you may have gone down the wrong road and become a musician or some other shady and seedy...........oh........wait...........never mind.

N8XE
01-30-2015, 08:39 AM
Do we need to schedule an intervention Janet? I think they have reality TV shows about that kind of behavior. ;)

I am not a hoarder, but I do play one on TV.

Cool stuff!

Jason N8XE

KK4AMI
01-30-2015, 08:56 AM
I understand your fascination Janet. My wife drags me to one of the big box stores like Target, Kmart, Walmart, etc.. Well I can sit in the parking lot and picture where every piece of merchandise is in the store. Nothing excites me anymore in those stores because I've seen it all before. Now give me an Antique store, Junk Shoppe, Flea Market and even the Hamfest and I get the thrill of discovering something new (old) again.

N7YA
01-30-2015, 05:44 PM
I love antique stores. My eye always searches for old keys and early radio related stuff (of course), as well as anything guitar or early jazz or rock related (of course).

Sometimes i get lucky. I found this in an antique shop in Boulder City.

n2ize
01-30-2015, 07:28 PM
My antique interests center around old pocket watches. Over the past few years I have collected many from ebay incuding a few mid 19th century fusee watches. Not very accurate but they run well.

KC2UGV
01-30-2015, 07:30 PM
My antique interests center around old pocket watches. Over the past few years I have collected many from ebay incuding a few mid 19th century fusee watches. Not very accurate but they run well.

That's me too, except with oil lamps. I love those things, plus like the pocket watches, serve a utilitarian purpose.

n2ize
01-30-2015, 07:34 PM
That's me too, except with oil lamps. I love those things, plus like the pocket watches, serve a utilitarian purpose.

Oh yeah. I like oil lamps too. I have a few antique oil lamps and during power failures they come in handy. particularly my desk oil lamp with a large circular wich and reflector.

N8XE
01-30-2015, 08:47 PM

There are others of us? I love oil lamps!!

And insulators

Jason N8XE

WØTKX
01-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Yea... the little ones are nice instead of candles. I have a small thrift store find oil lamp that has a faux stained glass base with a dragonfly motif. I really like the old brass ones in the smaller sizes too. Ever use scented oils? Some are pretty nice.

N7YA
01-31-2015, 04:43 AM
There are others of us? I love oil lamps!!

And insulators

Jason N8XE

I dont think i've ever been in an antique store that didn't have piles of insulators laying around!