PDA

View Full Version : Beacon Check

W3WN
01-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Need to ask a small favor of anyone with 10 meter capability.

Can you hear the NP2SH/B beacon on 28.276 MHz?

If so, is it exhibiting a chirp?

The trustee of the call, Paul NP2JF (the beacon is at his location on St. Johns, VI) received an OO notice of a chirp. First anyone has heard of it.

It MIGHT be a problem with the power supply... and shouldn't be, since that 1 W beacon is running off of an Astron RS-7B supply (and no, that is NOT a typo) that I donated to the project. That supply SHOULD be cruising on next to no load.

It might also be a problem with the transmitter.

But before Paul shuts the beacon down and starts shipping it, which will knock it off the air for weeks at least, I'd like to have confirmation that there really IS a chirp, and that we're not dealing with an OO looking for something to do. (Why do I suspect that? Because there are reports from other beacon owners, as per the coordinator of the project, of getting similar notices. Now, I can see one or two developing a problem, but when it's a lot of beacons all at once... )

Thanks!

WX7P
01-21-2015, 12:17 PM

The trustee of the call, Paul NP2JF (the beacon is at his location on St. Johns, VI) received an OO notice of a chirp. First anyone has heard of it.

It MIGHT be a problem with the power supply... and shouldn't be, since that 1 W beacon is running off of an Astron RS-7B supply (and no, that is NOT a typo) that I donated to the project. That supply SHOULD be cruising on next to no load.

But before Paul shuts the beacon down and starts shipping it, which will knock it off the air for weeks at least, I'd like to have confirmation that there really IS a chirp, and that we're not dealing with an OO looking for something to do. (Why do I suspect that? Because there are reports from other beacon owners, as per the coordinator of the project, of getting similar notices. Now, I can see one or two developing a problem, but when it's a lot of beacons all at once... )

Thanks!

Pretty weak right now, but what I can hear doesn't exhibit any chirp.

We check later in the day...

NQ6U
01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
There was some QSB but when the signal was strong I could hear it pretty clearly and there is a bit of chirp. Actually, I would describe it more as key clicks than chirp but, whatever the case, there is some sort of quality issue present.

suddenseer
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
I did not hear anything. I was able to kerchuck the 29.620 repeater nearby, go figure.

KJ3N
01-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Thanks!

I don't hear anything at 28.276, but I do hear something at 28.275. Definitely some chirp.

Captured some video of what I'm hearing with the iPhone. Where should I send it? It's about 58MB.

W5BRM
01-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Captured some video of what I'm hearing with the iPhone. Where should I send it? It's about 58MB.

Upload it to Youtube. Make it private if you wish then send link to NP2SH or whatever beacon call sign you are hearing

K0RGR
01-21-2015, 05:29 PM
W7UUU/B is loud and clear near there, but not the NP2.

KJ3N
01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Upload it to Youtube. Make it private if you wish then send link to NP2SH or whatever beacon call sign you are hearing

Not going to happen. YouTube insists on giving me a Google+ page/account, which I do not want.

W5BRM
01-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Heck, I got 14 G+ pages. I Dont use em and nobody can join them as I keep them locked down. Nobody even knows what the user names are. G+ don't get active til you put the email address out there and you have the settings wide open. Heck, just make a throw away email address for it, upload it and abandon the account. I actually have about 30+ Google accounts I dont use. Created one, Signed in once, did what i needed and abandoned it. Google cant spy if you dont use it except for a simple video.

W3WN
01-21-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't hear anything at 28.276, but I do hear something at 28.275. Definitely some chirp.

Captured some video of what I'm hearing with the iPhone. Where should I send it? It's about 58MB.I'll find out.

Thanks to the earlier reports, NP2JF will be swapping power supplies sometime this evening... if he hasn't already done so. So, if anyone can give another listen... probably tomorrow, I have no propagation here.

KJ3N
01-21-2015, 08:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnXs0Feh9S4&feature=youtu.be

KJ3N
01-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Heck, I got 14 G+ pages. I Dont use em and nobody can join them as I keep them locked down. Nobody even knows what the user names are. G+ don't get active til you put the email address out there and you have the settings wide open. Heck, just make a throw away email address for it, upload it and abandon the account. I actually have about 30+ Google accounts I dont use. Created one, Signed in once, did what i needed and abandoned it. Google cant spy if you dont use it except for a simple video.

As long as I don't have to touch the "page"....

W5BRM
01-21-2015, 09:27 PM
dupe

W5BRM
01-21-2015, 09:33 PM
You can even delete the account.... I'm not so sure about the email address itself or not but you can delete the G+ account and everything attached to it.

https://myaccount.google.com/ Down at the bottom is the kill links for everything. I did some looking and you CAN kill GMAIL. Click the Delete Products and choose the Delete GMail link..

Upon further looking though, if you delete the G+ profile, your video goes to private and nobody can see it... so best bet is to just abandon the account OR once you are certain the video has been watched by the beacon owner, you could then delete the video and the G+ account.

If you decide to keep the YT account and keep the video up, you can go into the settings page from your gmail account and lock everything down so nobody can join, nobody can see any G+ pages or anything.

I'm going to have to remember some of my old account names and kill them. These options weren't available years ago when I made the accounts

Upon even FURTHER investigation, You can even set your entire account to self destruct after a certain amount of inactivity. Say 30 days from your last login, Google can be set to automatically kill it.

I'd suggest looking at the settings page and crawling through it to see what your options are. Most likely its just simple enough to abandon it after youre through with it instead of jumping through all those hoops and stuff.

KG4NEL
01-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Not going to happen. YouTube insists on giving me a Google+ page/account, which I do not want.

There's a way to turn that off, but it probably isn't worth it if you don't already use Gmail or other Google services. I disabled G+ on mine.

KJ3N
01-23-2015, 09:02 AM
NP2JF will be swapping power supplies sometime this evening... if he hasn't already done so. So, if anyone can give another listen... probably tomorrow, I have no propagation here.

Assuming the power supply was changed, it didn't help. It's still the same.

W3WN
01-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks. I'll let the crew know.

KJ3N
01-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Thanks. I'll let the crew know.

Well, I hope they get it fixed soon, so I can stop listening to this infernal beeping... :-P

W3WN
01-24-2015, 12:35 AM
You've done your duty. No need for further monitoring. If that changes, I'll say something.

"Something!"

W7XF
01-24-2015, 12:44 AM
BEACON???? I thought you said BACON! :headscratch:

KJ3N
01-24-2015, 12:51 AM
You've done your duty. No need for further monitoring. If that changes, I'll say something.

"Something!"

Blücher!

KG4NEL
01-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Well, I hope they get it fixed soon, so I can stop listening to this infernal beeping... :-P

Remembering the fond days of Sputnik, aye tovarisch?

KJ3N
01-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Remembering the fond days of Sputnik, aye tovarisch?

Sputnik was 3 years before I was born. Now, GTFOML!

W2NAP
01-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Sputnik was 3 years before I was born. Now, GTFOML!

Да товарищ