PDA

View Full Version : Conkywx- Desktop Weather App for Linux

NM5TF
01-14-2015, 10:40 PM
if you are interested in weather specifically tailored for your local area & displayed on your Linux desktop,
then check out Conkywx v 3.0 that was just released today

a very useful new feature was the ability to tap into the WX satellites & download images to the desktop

an added feature is the ability to function as a standalone background/wallpaper image...

download conkywx v 3.0 from this site:

http://foreverquest.blogspot.in/2015/01/conkywx-three-released-conkywx-conky.html

screenshot showing SAT images added to conkywx attached

3 separate conkys running simultaneously....conkywx on left, WX SAT images in middle, system monitor on right

bigger image here:

http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot77ca095ba516ab41946e167cdb04e235.php

n2ize
01-19-2015, 05:20 AM
Looks good. Do you build/write your own templates and configuration files or do you use prebuilt templates & configs ?

NM5TF
01-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Looks good. Do you build/write your own templates and configuration files or do you use prebuilt templates & configs ?

not my work, nor do I take credit for it....

main author is my friend in New Delhi, India......Paramvir Likhari

he does the main coding & templates....he then sends the builds to a team of testers....

3 of us in the US, 1 in Australia, and 1 in Germany.....

we make certain it will work with different *nix distros & make some suggestions as to what works or not before he releases it....

most of the work is done in Perl & BASH scripts behind the scenes using several templates.....the instruments & bar graphs

are done using LUA.....Conky does the organizing & controls the process

most impressive is the fact that Paramvir is not a programmer & has no formal training....

he is a former Master Mariner serving on large oil tankers...he taught himself programming by reading books while at sea....

once installed, you are free to modify it so it fits your personal preferences & monitor specs....

KG4NEL
01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
I prefer Dogeweather... ;)

NM5TF
01-19-2015, 03:08 PM
that's fine Jim....:hijack:

however...this thread is about conkywx...:slap:

n6hcm
01-20-2015, 02:15 AM
I prefer Dogeweather... ;)

"such cold ... much winter."

KG4NEL