PDA

View Full Version : The unsolicited phone calls

NA4BH
01-06-2015, 09:49 PM
The phone calls have gone through the roof. Dammit, quit calling me. I now am tired of hearing the phone announce who the latest asshole is, so I keep a whistle next to the phone. I wish I had a picture of the headsets being ripped off their head. Bunch of fscking butt-munches. Where's the Tylenol.

K7SGJ
01-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Every time I call your place, all I get is some electronic cowboy yelling bullshit.

NA4BH
01-06-2015, 10:05 PM
He's yelling bushtit.

K7SGJ
01-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Musta been a bad connection.

NA4BH
01-06-2015, 10:10 PM
It was probably a dry connection. I understand.

NQ6U
01-06-2015, 11:42 PM
I've taken to answering calls with the speaker phone and then, if it's a telemarketer, holding the transmitter up to the speaker and getting a good feedback squeal going. They usually hang right up.

NA4BH
01-06-2015, 11:47 PM
I was told by a phone company guy, that whatever db you put into the hand piece, that is the db that comes out. Provided they don't have a volume control. If they are wearing a headset, scrambled brains.

N8YX
01-07-2015, 05:03 AM
I was told by a phone company guy, that whatever db you put into the hand piece, that is the db that comes out. Provided they don't have a volume control. If they are wearing a headset, scrambled brains.
Isn't that a requirement for a telemarketing job?

N7YA
01-07-2015, 08:17 AM
He's yelling bushtit.

All you're trying to do is get them to say no more.

W3WN
01-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Had a new one last night.

Synthetic voice; not a recording, as it responded (kinda) to some of my snide remarks. "Of course I am a person. What would make you say that?" (Oh, maybe the artifacts that come from computer generation) "Does my voice really sound that bad?" (In that stilted monotone? Made HAL 9000 sound good -- think of the scene in 2010 when Dr. Chandra is reactivating the HAL 9000, first working on the speech circuits)

Some of these telemarketers, professional fund raisers, and downright con men have no scruples, and no shame.

W7XF
01-08-2015, 01:21 PM
The ones I love.... the timeshare people. Call me with their spiel...tell me about all the glorious "door prizes". So, I tell them yes I'll come over. So they get my details...ask my spouse's name.... I give a guy's name...<crickets>..then "sorry, our promotion is for married couples only"... tell the pressure cooker that he and I are married. <more crickets>" please hold on, I need to check with a supervisor". Endless hold till their timeout timer drops the call.

W3WN
01-08-2015, 01:37 PM
The ones I love.... the timeshare people. Call me with their spiel...tell me about all the glorious "door prizes". So, I tell them yes I'll come over. So they get my details...ask my spouse's name.... I give a guy's name...<crickets>..then "sorry, our promotion is for married couples only"... tell the pressure cooker that he and I are married. <more crickets>" please hold on, I need to check with a supervisor". Endless hold till their timeout timer drops the call.

Hmmm.

Out of idle curiosity: If someone is indeed legally married to another person of the same gender, and a telemarketer or other business interest declines to do business with that couple, do any of the various anti-discrimination laws come into play?

They did when this sort of stuff was pulled on inter-racial couples, back in the day.

KG4NEL
01-09-2015, 10:03 AM
The phone calls have gone through the roof. Dammit, quit calling me. I now am tired of hearing the phone announce who the latest asshole is, so I keep a whistle next to the phone. I wish I had a picture of the headsets being ripped off their head. Bunch of fscking butt-munches. Where's the Tylenol.

Landline?

NA4BH
01-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Landline?

YEP. It's through the cable company and pretty much it's only use is for the wife to call and talk to her parents on the weekends. Other than that I don't know why we keep it.

KG4NEL
01-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Telemarketers must be getting more desperate because their targets are aging out. They only have a small window betwixt senility where their marks will buy anything and nursing homes.