PDA

View Full Version : Oops, I think I messed up.

KK4AMI
01-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Our new potential house site has those big (Is it 15kV) high tension power towers crossing the sound into the City of Edenton. The wires are about 200 yards down from our house, not right over the house. Am I going to have HF radio noise issues with those wires? If so, is it a fixable situation because my wife loves the house?

N8YX
01-05-2015, 08:53 AM

KJ3N
01-05-2015, 09:35 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

KJ3N
01-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Our new potential house site has those big (Is it 15kV) high tension power towers crossing the sound into the City of Edenton. The wires are about 200 yards down from our house, not right over the house. Am I going to have HF radio noise issues with those wires? If so, is it a fixable situation because my wife loves the house?

Despite Fred's "comment", the actual answer is; it depends. Mostly it depends on the band.

I am ~500 feet from 2 HV lines. If memory serves, one is 17KV and the other is 34KV. My noise levels on 20-10 are around an S3 right now. 40m is about S4, 80m is S5, and 160m (off of the TX vertical) is S7.

I've had some problems in the past (such as S9 on 80m), but those are issues with faulty line equipment. Phone calls to the power company usually fix them. Most of my noise here comes from the other houses around me, not the power lines.

K7SGJ
01-05-2015, 09:45 AM

The wife or the house?

N8YX
01-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Despite Fred's "comment", the actual answer is; it depends. Mostly it depends on the band.

I am ~500 feet from 2 HV lines. If memory serves, one is 17KV and the other is 34KV. My noise levels on 20-10 are around an S3 right now. 40m is about S4, 80m is S5, and 160m (off of the TX vertical) is S7.

I've had some problems in the past (such as S9 on 80m), but those are issues with faulty line equipment. Phone calls to the power company usually fix them. Most of my noise here comes from the other houses around me, not the power lines.

In addition to Jim's comments, look into a noise canceller such as a Timewave ANC-4 or MFJ-1025/1026. I like the -1026 as it allows the use of an external sense antenna.

KK4AMI
01-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Crap! But thanks, you give me some hope. Living out here on a hill away from town has spoiled me for stuff like amateur radio and astronomy. It is dark out here in terms of light and RF noises. The wife wants to move into a neighborhood so she can socialize. Since it took a crowbar to get her to move, I guess it's going to take a little compromise.

KK4AMI
01-05-2015, 10:02 AM
The wife or the house?

I'm thinking.

KK4AMI
01-05-2015, 10:17 AM
In addition to Jim's comments, look into a noise canceller such as a Timewave ANC-4 or MFJ-1025/1026. I like the -1026 as it allows the use of an external sense antenna.

I'm going to look into noise canceling filters, Thanks. I was just remembering my time stationed in Melbourne, Florida. Salt air and powerlines made for some interesting fireworks (lots of arcing and sparking)

WX7P
01-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Crap! But thanks, you give me some hope. Living out here on a hill away from town has spoiled me for stuff like amateur radio and astronomy. It is dark out here in terms of light and RF noises. The wife wants to move into a neighborhood so she can socialize. Since it took a crowbar to get her to move, I guess it's going to take a little compromise.

Bummer on losing the astronomy too!

That's probably the only thing I miss about Tulelake. There was very little ambient light, so the Meade got a lot of use.

KK4AMI
01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Bummer on losing the astronomy too!

That's probably the only thing I miss about Tulelake. There was very little ambient light, so the Meade got a lot of use.

I was kind of expecting astronomy would suck when we decided to move closer to the ocean. The air is more turbulent and humidity is pretty high in North Carolina. I have an old Meade 10" F4.5. I'll just put it in the closet or trade it for a kayak and a fishing rod! :lol:

Oops and an MFJ-1026

K7SGJ
01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I was kind of expecting astronomy would suck when we decided to move closer to the ocean. The air is more turbulent and humidity is pretty high in North Carolina. I have an old Meade 10" F4.5. I'll just put it in the closet or trade it for a kayak and a fishing rod! :lol:

Oops and an MFJ-1026

I've tried using the MFJ-1026, and didn't like it. It's too hard to keep the worm on.

kd6nig
01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I'd agree with the "it depends" comment.

I know a ham locally that has them roughly 250 yards from his antennas. He lives out on a small ranch and some big towers run between him and his neighbor.

He'll get occasional S2, S3 bursts of static, especially during the first few hours of the first rain of the season, then it will be quiet most of the time.

When he first moved out there though the bursts were more frequent, but not adverse to operating. Then one day he was outside and a helicopter was flying over the lines. About a week later a crew showed up and used his neighbors yard to access the tower. They changed some insulators on it and the noise went to being very sporadic like I described.

So it depends not only on the location, but how well they are maintained, seems like.

I have a lot more noise being in the city than he has. I'd trade his noise for mine in a moment. And mine seems to be ambient....we've had power outages for blocks around and it only goes down an S unit. 20 is the worst, it gets to S8 at times, but usually is around S5.

But then I live within 100 yards of Interstate 5, though we have soundwalls. A lot of it probably comes from that, or the lights along it, or something like that. They seem to stay on when ours go out. Someday if we have a really widespread outage and they go out I will have to test that theory. It doesn't help that I'm very limited on space in my backyard and thus one leg of my dipole is within 10' of my power drop from the pole...but that doesn't seem to be the issue due to my testing. Could be a neighbor growing some Medical MJ for all I know.....

KG4NEL
01-05-2015, 03:10 PM
I've tried using the MFJ-1026, and didn't like it. It's too hard to keep the worm on.

Don't drink the worm...

NQ6U
01-05-2015, 07:24 PM
I have been told that a firefighter's rule of thumb for judging the voltage on a high voltage transmission line is to count the insulator rings and multiply by 20 to get the voltage in thousands. I don't know how accurate that is so, YMMV.

WØTKX
01-05-2015, 08:15 PM

You mean the "noise antenna"? The ANC-4 has an external connection as well. I had an MFJ-1026 that got killed by a lightning strike. My ANC-4 works just as well, but it is a different animal. However, both of these units have one requirement, make that "sense" or "noise" antenna pick up the noise you want to kill at the right signal strength level to make these devices work. To weak or too strong is no good. Kind of like working with audio inputs on a soundboard, pad all that shit to zero dB. ;)

kb2vxa
01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I have more noise in this house all across the spectrum than you can shake a hot stick at but after checking things out with a portable SW receiver I found it limited to the house. There are 13.5KV feeders all over town and a substation a block away all clean, barely a crackle out of the radio from MW to 30MHz. So take it from there and don't be too quick to condemn power lines. Faulty equipment is a well known noise source but first there has to be a fault. If it hisses like a snake it probably is a snake... back away slowly.

K0RGR
01-09-2015, 02:41 PM
My house is near the front of a 3/4 acre lot. Right on the south property line is a medium voltage trunk line that feeds the south end of the city. Our utilities are city-owned, and they have been very good about noise suppression.

Before I bought this place, I drove around the neighborhood with my AM radio tuned between stations, listening for noise - none observed. I stood in the kitchen of the house with my FT817 and a piece of wire, and copied Europeans on 40 meters, no problem. Now, I have three HF antennas. There are two dipoles on a pushup mast as high as I can get it over the middle of the house, and the third is a 43' vertical about 100' from the house. The vertical is the quietest antenna of the three. The noise on the other two is from all the consumer electronics and light dimmers in my own house. I've confirmed this by listening on the FT817 while I power off everything one breaker at a time. I think one light dimmer is really to blame, and if I ever get excited enough to care, I'll change it out. With the exception of 80 meters, I never have noise issues, and on 80, I usually don't. If I'm working DX, I switch to the vertical and it's very quiet on all bands, being far from any houses and the power line.

KK4AMI
01-10-2015, 08:47 AM
My house is near the front of a 3/4 acre lot. Right on the south property line is a medium voltage trunk line that feeds the south end of the city. Our utilities are city-owned, and they have been very good about noise suppression.

Before I bought this place, I drove around the neighborhood with my AM radio tuned between stations, listening for noise - none observed. I stood in the kitchen of the house with my FT817 and a piece of wire, and copied Europeans on 40 meters, no problem. Now, I have three HF antennas. There are two dipoles on a pushup mast as high as I can get it over the middle of the house, and the third is a 43' vertical about 100' from the house. The vertical is the quietest antenna of the three. The noise on the other two is from all the consumer electronics and light dimmers in my own house. I've confirmed this by listening on the FT817 while I power off everything one breaker at a time. I think one light dimmer is really to blame, and if I ever get excited enough to care, I'll change it out. With the exception of 80 meters, I never have noise issues, and on 80, I usually don't. If I'm working DX, I switch to the vertical and it's very quiet on all bands, being far from any houses and the power line.

We will be downsizing to a 1/2 acre piece of property so putting up a vertical is a strong possibility. Thanks for the ideas and positive thinking, because we really do like the house.

n0iu
01-10-2015, 10:54 AM
I like my hobby, but I like my wife more... on most days!

Bubba
01-11-2015, 05:47 AM
I wish I could say the same. lol..

N8YX
01-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I like my hobby, but I like my wife more... on most days!
A supportive wife will go along with a man's hobbies, especially the constructive ones.

K7SGJ
01-11-2015, 02:50 PM
A supportive wife will go along with a man's hobbies, especially the constructive ones.

Constructive hobby or constructive wife?

kb2vxa
01-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Amateur Radio is a constructive hobby, you can construct equipment. A constructive wife is one who can construct equipment for you. If she's a ham it's a plus... or maybe not if she hogs the equipment.

N8XE
01-12-2015, 11:55 AM
You mean the "noise antenna"? The ANC-4 has an external connection as well. I had an MFJ-1026 that got killed by a lightning strike. My ANC-4 works just as well, but it is a different animal. However, both of these units have one requirement, make that "sense" or "noise" antenna pick up the noise you want to kill at the right signal strength level to make these devices work. To weak or too strong is no good. Kind of like working with audio inputs on a soundboard, pad all that shit to zero dB. ;)

This... that is the secret. Once you understand that, it works pretty damn good. I have a few plasma TVs that cause horrible interference on the HF bands. I have found that the MFJ1026 works pretty effectively at getting rid of it. In fact, I posted a video of it in operation. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd9BD0fFuv0)

Again, you have to make sure they are at the right level to get it to work.

Jason N8XE

N8XE
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Bummer you will be giving up the darker skies. That is my other madness (http://undermidnight.com/)... er.... uh... passion.

Jason N8XE

suddenseer
01-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Crap! But thanks, you give me some hope. Living out here on a hill away from town has spoiled me for stuff like amateur radio and astronomy. It is dark out here in terms of light and RF noises. The wife wants to move into a neighborhood so she can socialize. Since it took a crowbar to get her to move, I guess it's going to take a little compromise.Don't get rid of the telescope. Since you will be near other houses, some with open windows may be more entertaining.

N8XE
01-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Don't get rid of the telescope. Since you will be near other houses, some with open windows may be more entertaining.

Unfortunately the view in the eyepiece will be upside down... so if you see them right side up, then it will get really entertaining.

WX7P
01-17-2015, 11:59 AM
This... that is the secret. Once you understand that, it works pretty damn good. I have a few plasma TVs that cause horrible interference on the HF bands. I have found that the MFJ1026 works pretty effectively at getting rid of it. In fact, I posted a video of it in operation. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd9BD0fFuv0)

Again, you have to make sure they are at the right level to get it to work.

Jason N8XE

Just looked at your video.

Very nice! I'm going to find one of these 1026 critters.