PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Danger

KG4CGC
01-03-2015, 09:22 AM
It's hot. It'll burn the foozhits out of you. Be careful.

http://www.wimp.com/moltenmetal/

AC8KF WALT
01-03-2015, 10:44 AM
that was neat!:-D

kb2vxa
01-03-2015, 11:33 AM
The muffin man is seated at the table
In the laboratory of the metal muffin Research kitchen.
Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon,
He gathers an intimate quantity of soda can
Remnants and brushing his scapular aside,
Proceeds to dump these inside of his shirt...
He turns to us and speaks:
"Some people like metal cupcakes better.
I for one care less for them!"
Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas
Snoot of a fully charged icing anointment utensil,
He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette,
- oh ah yuk, yuk... let's try that again...!
He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette
Near the summit of a dense,
But radiant aluminium muffin of his own design.
Later he says:
"Some people... some people like metal cupcakes
Exclusively, while myself, I say,
There is naught nor ought there be nothing
So exalted on the face of God's grey
Earth as that prince of foods... the metal muffin!"

VE7DCW
01-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I did this stuff (smelting aluminum and pouring into sand molds to make fireplace tools) in my grade 9 metal shop class in junior high school......we were grouped in pairs and there was a lot of fooling around going on as kids do and I watched as molten aluminum got spilled and got poured over some poor kids foot! ........hot is right! 3rd degree burns to his foot when it burnt through his shoe!......made me appreciate and kind of fear heat and fire from that point on! :shock:

suddenseer
01-03-2015, 01:27 PM
I have worked in several places that had foundries. The molds were computer machined, but the rest is old basic stuff as shown in the video. One of the problems with non ornamental applications is porosity, or trapped gas bubbles. One of my jobs was to verify the computer x-ray sorting machine did not screw up. It often did.

W5BRM
01-03-2015, 01:46 PM
https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/28142-Casting-an-Anthill?highlight=colony

I still think this is cool

NQ6U
01-04-2015, 06:44 AM
I have worked in several places that had foundries. The molds were computer machined, but the rest is old basic stuff as shown in the video. One of the problems with non ornamental applications is porosity, or trapped gas bubbles. One of my jobs was to verify the computer x-ray sorting machine did not screw up. It often did.

http://continuum-hypothesis.com/images/casting.jpg

Janet will get that.

HUGH
01-04-2015, 07:59 AM
I had a temporary job once, making small castings destined for ACDelco. After casting, I took them to be plated, then to be "proofed" which seemed to be boiling them in a mixture of borax and some waxy substance. Apparently this was to fill any porosity in the castings but the process was kept "secret".

K0RGR
01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
I used to call on a foundry in Iowa where they made huge aluminum alloy castings, like the cases for big helicopter engines. This was supposed to be the only place that could make something that big as a single piece. I was always fascinated by the combination of ultra-modern and ultra-ancient technology.