PDA

View Full Version : Good bye LPs and VHS tapes

KK4AMI
12-26-2014, 10:25 AM
In the move clean up, my wife and I decided to finally dump over 200 albums (mostly 70s R&R). I'm not even sure my Radio Shack turn table still functions. I'm going to try selling them at one of these new vinyl stores that seem to pop up everywhere. Then it's garage sale and dumpster. Anybody remember Melanie Safka?

WX7P
12-26-2014, 10:52 AM
I got a brand new pair of roller skates, Mike.

Of course I do!

N8GAV
12-26-2014, 11:36 AM
She was a folk-rock singer of the late 60's early 70's. I only remember 2 songs she had that got air time on the radio. One was "Brand New Key", the other was a anti-war song which I don't remember the name of.

K7SGJ
12-26-2014, 11:46 AM
She was a folk-rock singer of the late 60's early 70's. I only remember 2 songs she had that got air time on the radio. One was "Brand New Key", the other was a anti-war song which I don't remember the name of.

I think it was......."Put Down the Fucking Hand Grenade, and Pick up the Skates and Key".

KK4AMI
12-26-2014, 12:03 PM
OK, you all are officially old. But I bet it never occurred to you to actually buy her album like I did!

WX7P
12-26-2014, 12:05 PM
OK, you all are old. But I bet it never occurred to you to actually buy her album like I did!

Got that right. "Brand New Key" came out when I was in 7th grade (1971).

KK4AMI
12-26-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm looking through these albums and it now occurs to me how I got tinnitus.

N8GAV
12-26-2014, 12:36 PM
OK, you all are officially old. But I bet it never occurred to you to actually buy her album like I did!

No, back then Melanie was not on my hit list. Like today I was listening to The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc.

KG4CGC
12-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Hold the albums, get a USB turntable, record to HDD then sell them at a later date. You'll be kicking yourself a year from now if you don't.

KK4AMI
12-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Hold the albums, get a USB turntable, record to HDD then sell them at a later date. You'll be kicking yourself a year from now if you don't.

I appreciate your concern, but I guess "I lost the music in me!" I haven't listened to them in years.

N8GAV
12-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Well what else do you have in the albums Mike?

n0iu
12-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Like today I was listening to The Beatles...

Wasn't that the group Paul McCartney was in before Wings?

N8GAV
12-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Wasn't that the group Paul McCartney was in before Wings?

I think so Scott ...............

KK4AMI
12-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Well what else do you have in the albums Mike?

Woo Boy. Off the top of my head...Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Jefferson Airplane, Skynyrd, Frampton, Seger, Taylor (With Hair). Ronstadt, Pink Floyd, Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot, ELO, Jeff Wayne, Sgt Pepper, Jethro Tull, Carly Simon. There are more then the number of brain cells I have left.

N8GAV
12-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Woo Boy. Off the top of my head...Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Jefferson Airplane, Skynyrd, Frampton, Seger, Taylor (With Hair). Ronstadt, Pink Floyd, Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot, ELO, Jeff Wayne, Sgt Pepper, Jethro Tull, Carly Simon. There are more then the number of brain cells I have left.

Wow, looks like a nice collection. Hope you just end up pitching them into a dumpster, some of the cover art are worth more then albums so hope you can hook up with someone in your area to see what you have.

wa6mhz
12-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I still have my ABBA 8 track tapes, somewhere. Nuttin to play them on though!

HUGH
12-27-2014, 12:06 PM
There's a good market here for vinyl LPs. My record deck has been mothballed but it has 2 spare belts and a new cartridge just in case. All the LPs are on minidisc but those LPs that aren't worn are in a cool dry place.
I do remember moving into a house and finding, in the loft, piles of LPs and 78s which looked like something by Salvador Dali, all melted and flopped over the ceiling rafters.

K7SGJ
12-27-2014, 12:09 PM
I still have my ABBA 8 track tapes, somewhere. Nuttin to play them on though!

You could probably trade off a few radios for a '66 Pontiac that came stock with one.

N8YX
12-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Put those on eBay or find someone who likes vinyl. DO NOT PITCH.

KK4AMI
12-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Put those on eBay or find someone who likes vinyl. DO NOT PITCH.

As long as I've been carrying them around, I would never throw them out...well there is this Saturday Night Fever Sound Track. I took the whole load to PLAN 9 for a price check including a Direct Drive Linear track turntable.

K7SGJ
12-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Plan 9? The skate shop or music store?

koØm
12-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Anything by Mark-Almond ?

http://youtu.be/jj2jvMzsLyg

KG4NEL
12-27-2014, 11:40 PM
How many Herb Alpert copies?

KK4AMI
12-28-2014, 06:31 AM
Anything by Mark-Almond ?

http://youtu.be/jj2jvMzsLyg

Nope.

KK4AMI
12-28-2014, 06:32 AM
How many Herb Alpert copies?

Talk to my Dad!

w0aew
12-28-2014, 08:14 AM
My wife inherited some 78 rpm records. Can't remember the titles, no covers, horribly scratched. Anyhow, can anyone recommend a current turntable with a multi-speed motor and available replacement needles? I suppose they all come with a usb cable (not that we plan on transferring any files to a computer). There seem to be a lot of turntables available, tho I'm not interested in those $300-plus ones for the scratchers.

KG4NEL
12-28-2014, 01:37 PM
My wife inherited some 78 rpm records. Can't remember the titles, no covers, horribly scratched. Anyhow, can anyone recommend a current turntable with a multi-speed motor and available replacement needles? I suppose they all come with a usb cable (not that we plan on transferring any files to a computer). There seem to be a lot of turntables available, tho I'm not interested in those $300-plus ones for the scratchers.

That's when you start getting into ones worth keeping, though :quiet:

The carts are easy to find, as long as you get a headshell that accepts bolt-on carts. A belt-drive like a Project or Rega will play 78 just fine; just swap the belt from the 33 groove to the 78 one on the drive pulley.

KG4NEL
12-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Biggest annoyance for 78 these days is figuring out what EQ curve they decided to use, because those were before RIAA equalization - use the standard curve for 33/45s and who knows how it'll sound.

K7SGJ
12-28-2014, 02:39 PM
My 1920 Victor crank-em-up don't know jack about RIAA. Nothing like the scratchy sound of Lucky Lindy playing at 60-87 RPM.

Yowser Yowser.

Everyone into the phone booth and the last one in, close the door behind you.

N8XE
12-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm looking through these albums and it now occurs to me how I got tinnitus.

For me it was listening to Rush albums at full volume and when I was in rock bands, my amps went to 11.

Jason N8XE

K7SGJ
12-30-2014, 08:52 AM
For me it was listening to Rush albums at full volume and when I was in rock bands, my amps went to 11.

Jason N8XE

Limbaugh had a band? Who Gnu?

KK4AMI
12-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Sure, his stomach was in a lap band a while back.

K7SGJ
12-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Sure, his stomach was in a lap band a while back.

Lapland? Did he Finnish?

NQ6U
12-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Lapland? Did he Finnish?

Ghana slap you upside the head for that one.

W3WN
12-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Jason N8XEThat's a Journey that I never want to have to make.

Even if it's by way of the Chicago Transit Authority, or even the Grand Funk Railroad, or down the Styx. But I'd prefer it be on a Jefferson Airplane, or better yet, a Starship.

N8XE
12-30-2014, 11:31 AM
That's a Journey that I never want to have to make.

Even if it's by way of the Chicago Transit Authority, or even the Grand Funk Railroad, or down the Styx. But I'd prefer it be on a Jefferson Airplane, or better yet, a Starship.

It would go over like a Led Zeppelin. But if you did, it would be a Saga to remember. A Triumph! Most likely folks would be like, "Who was that?"

(I am not very good at these games.. it's for the Birds)

NQ6U
12-30-2014, 12:24 PM
(I am not very good at these games.. it's for the Birds Byrds)

Fixed that for you.

N8XE
12-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Fixed that for you.

Yes.... you did.

n2ize
12-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Also "Animal Crackers" was another song of hers. I remember she had sort of a husky throaty voice and a thick NYC accent.

N8XE
12-30-2014, 01:58 PM

No, Rush is The Band that was the Genesis of my love for progressive rock. That was a Cheap Trick you did there Ratt!

Only in America...

n2ize
12-30-2014, 02:04 PM

I have a bunch of 12 inch 78's that I picked up at a library several decades ago. They are mostly classical music 78's but there are also a few single sided RCA Victrola records in there. They are all in very good condition, some look as if they were never played. I keep them but I doubt they are worth anything. Somewhere in the basement I have an old Bullova phonograph with a built in tube aamplifier that will play them .

My brother has been getting back into 33 rpm vinyls again. Many are from his old record collection but he has also picked up a few at a used record store. Of course most of his music collection is digitized and on his computer but every now and then he likes to break out the vinyl LP's. Apparently you can still get new and very good turntables these days at very reasonable prices.

VHS tapes and casette tapes I don;t bother with these days. Just about everything I had on VHS tapes and cassette tapes I have better quality recordings of in mp3 format and/or mp4, avi, ogg vorbis, etc.

NQ6U
12-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Yes.... you did.

I was (still am, in fact) a big fan of that band so I couldn't let it go uncorrected.

N8XE
12-30-2014, 02:42 PM
I was (still am, in fact) a big fan of that band so I couldn't let it go uncorrected.

Appreciate it!

re: Yes

Saw them in Cleveland back in the summer and they played all of Closer to the Edge. Even though it was not Jon Anderson who was singing, the guy who was their lead singer sounded just like him. However, it was weird to see Steve Howe play the guitar part to "Owner of a Lonely Heart"

Jason N8XE

N8XE
12-30-2014, 02:43 PM
BTW... my wife has recently started collecting Vinyl again. I need to get a good turntable.

Jason N8XE