PDA

View Full Version : Fructose vs "Real" Sugar

w0aew
12-21-2014, 05:21 PM
I can't taste the difference.

For example, Mexican and "American" Coke. They taste exactly the same to me. I don't think my taste buds are that shot.

Are they?

suddenseer
12-21-2014, 06:02 PM

For example, Mexican and "American" Coke. They taste exactly the same to me. I don't think my taste buds are that shot.

Are they?Nope, they taste the same to me too. However, when mixed with rum, I can tell the difference only with the first drink. One is essentially produced in a laboratory after adding enzymes. The other is about the same as always. I think of both of them as a drug. HFCS is thought by many to have the same effect on lab rat, and human brains as cocaine does. Many folks think there is a direct correlation to the rise in obesity in the USA to when it became a food additive in damn near everything. Why does soup, and bread need a sweeter? Monsanto says that it is good for us, they are never wrong. I also preferred the older tuna fish that had a bit of dolphin mixed in.

KC2UGV
12-21-2014, 06:04 PM

Are they?

Fructose is fructose is fructose.

Glucose is glucose is glucose.

Sucrose is sucrose is sucrose.

Which sugar is "real sugar" when someone says that?

KC2UGV
12-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Nope, they taste the same to me too. However, when mixed with rum, I can tell the difference only with the first drink. One is essentially produced in a laboratory after adding enzymes. The other is about the same as always. I think of both of them as a drug. HFCS is thought by many to have the same effect on lab rat, and human brains as cocaine does. Many folks think there is a direct correlation to the rise in obesity in the USA to when it became a food additive in damn near everything. Why does soup, and bread need a sweeter? Monsanto says that it is good for us, they are never wrong. I also preferred the older tuna fish that had a bit of dolphin mixed in.

Bread needs sugar for the yeast. Soup needs sugar to reduce acidity.

Yes, sugar has a highly addictive effect on the brain. Primarily sucrose, since it's an evolved drive to seek out calorie-dense foods.

NQ6U
12-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Are they?

I don't know if it's the sugar or not but, to me, there's a significant difference between the taste of Mexican Coke and American Coke.

A former neighbor of mine worked in the Coca-Cola lab in Los Angeles (during the time of the "New Coke" debacle) and he told me that they used different formulas even for different sized bottles. He said that he only drank the 8 Fl Oz bottles because they contained the best mix, so it's possible that the bottlers down in Mexico use a different formula than US bottlers. Mexican Cokes tastes less "sharp" in my opinion; perhaps they use less phosphoric acid?

WØTKX
12-21-2014, 06:31 PM
I believe in science. Sugar is sugar.
We are wired for it. And it wires us.

The real deal is how much sugar is used in processed foods.
If most of our sugar consumption is fruits, maybe honey?

Well, at least you'd poop better!
Seriously, it's too much sugar.
That's the real problem.

suddenseer
12-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Bread needs sugar for the yeast. Soup needs sugar to reduce acidity.

Yes, sugar has a highly addictive effect on the brain. Primarily sucrose, since it's an evolved drive to seek out calorie-dense foods.I was raised baking bread. I later learned that adding a simple carbohydrate as a flavoring is not needed. Ever have real french bread? There are several methods of baking that use complex carbs such as sprouted grains. Being a diabetic, I switched to sprouted grains a long time ago. In fact, the right mixture of sprouted grains results in all of the amino acids to be present in the bread to be considered as a complete protein. After the yeast consumes the carb, and gives off the alcohol it's work is done. It does not need to be added as a flavoring. I am not an award winning chef, but I have never found it necessary to add any kind of sweetener, as a flavoring to any of my homemade soups, or chili. My iced tea? Please pass the Stivia.

suddenseer
12-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't know if it's the sugar or not but, to me, there's a significant difference between the taste of Mexican Coke and American Coke.

A former neighbor of mine worked in the Coca-Cola lab in Los Angeles (during the time of the "New Coke" debacle) and he told me that they used different formulas even for different sized bottles. He said that he only drank the 8 Fl Oz bottles because they contained the best mix, so it's possible that the bottlers down in Mexico use a different formula than US bottlers. Mexican Cokes tastes less "sharp" in my opinion; perhaps they use less phosphoric acid?I always thought that it was all in my mind. I have always considered the taste of those lovely little glass bottles of coke to be much better than from a plastic 2 liter bottle. Am I crazy, or whut?

suddenseer
12-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Fructose is fructose is fructose.

Glucose is glucose is glucose.

Sucrose is sucrose is sucrose.

Which sugar is "real sugar" when someone says that?I would prefer one that grows out of the ground as to a patented chemical. I really prefer the by product that has been fermented, or distilled.

KC2UGV
12-21-2014, 06:56 PM
I would prefer one that grows out of the ground as to a patented chemical. I really prefer the by product that has been fermented, or distilled.

Chemically, they are all identical, regardless of the source.

KC2UGV
12-21-2014, 06:57 PM
I was raised baking bread. I later learned that adding a simple carbohydrate as a flavoring is not needed. Ever have real french bread? There are several methods of baking that use complex carbs such as sprouted grains. Being a diabetic, I switched to sprouted grains a long time ago. In fact, the right mixture of sprouted grains results in all of the amino acids to be present in the bread to be considered as a complete protein. After the yeast consumes the carb, and gives off the alcohol it's work is done. It does not need to be added as a flavoring. I am not an award winning chef, but I have never found it necessary to add any kind of sweetener, as a flavoring to any of my homemade soups, or chili. My iced tea? Please pass the Stivia.

Depends on the bread you're making. Regular white bread? Just enough sugar for the yeast to ferment a bit, and then a smidge more (Along with salt) for flavor.

I've added sugar to many a soup, chili included, if the acidity was too high for tastes.

NQ6U
12-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I usually add a bit of cane sugar to my red pasta sauce to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.

KK4AMI
12-21-2014, 07:18 PM
I usually add a bit of cane sugar to my red pasta sauce to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.

We had to cut sugar in our family. Since my Father always pulled out the bicarb after my Mother's Italian cooking, she started adding baking soda to her tomato sauce to reduce acidity. Just enough made it taste good, but too much and the whole family sat around the dinner table belching.

suddenseer
12-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Chemically, they are all identical, regardless of the source.Yep, but most of us would have a hard time eating 25 or more bananas a day (I would). But modern science has made it easy to drink the chemically equivalent sugar every day. I have won many bar bets, by correctly identifying Mexican coke and rum, vs. Murican coke (HFCS) and rum. I can only do it 2 times, then my palate, and tongue get desensitized. I can continue drinking with my betting proceeds. Without the rum, I cannot tell the difference. I believe it is important to consume from the 4 basic food groups every day. 1 Alcohol group 2.Grease group. 3. Salt group. 4 Sugar group. Bon Appetit.

NQ6U
12-21-2014, 07:39 PM
I believe it is important to consume from the 4 basic food groups every day. 1 Alcohol group 2.Grease group. 3. Salt group. 4 Sugar group. Bon Appetit.

You forgot: 5. Caffeine group.

suddenseer
12-21-2014, 07:50 PM
You forgot: 5. Caffeine group.Oh shit, I forgot....there are 5.....wait can I do a Monty Python retraction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tym0MObFpTI

NQ6U
12-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Wow, I didn't expect that.

HUGH
12-22-2014, 06:21 AM
Nope, they taste the same to me too. However, when mixed with rum, I can tell the difference only with the first drink. One is essentially produced in a laboratory after adding enzymes. The other is about the same as always. I think of both of them as a drug. HFCS is thought by many to have the same effect on lab rat, and human brains as cocaine does. Many folks think there is a direct correlation to the rise in obesity in the USA to when it became a food additive in damn near everything. Why does soup, and bread need a sweeter? Monsanto says that it is good for us, they are never wrong. I also preferred the older tuna fish that had a bit of dolphin mixed in.

Unless making soup with unripe tomatoes you don't need sugar. It is a preservative for canning some fruits and for bottling fruits at home, the old-fashioned way in vacuum-sealed jars. Sugar is not need in processed meats and canned food, in bread just enough to raise the dough. Monsanto clearly like to "raise the dough".

K0RGR
12-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I do believe that the whole 'New Coke' thing back in the 80's was to cover the switch from cane sugar to corn sweetener. Had they not withdrawn the original Coke and introduced the New Coke before tearfully bringing out the 'Classic Coke' with the substituted corn sweetener, I think they'd have had a rebellion. They had to take away the 'real' stuff long enough for us to all forget what it tasted like. At first, the formula for Diet Coke stayed the same, and I thought that it tasted more like 'real' coke than the Classic Coke did. I believe over time, the Diet Coke flavor was adjusted to match the 'Classic' more closely.

In Central America, where they use cane sugar, the difference is pretty obvious to me. The cane sugar, whether in beverages or just as table sugar has a much 'fruitier' taste - more fructose, but also there are impurities in the sugar that come from their source. Cane sugar tastes different than beet sugar. Chemically, they are the same, save for the trace elements that come with them. In casual use I can't really tell the difference, though I really can tell the difference between either table sugar and corn sweetener.

Stevia? No thanks...

I actually avoid sweet stuff - it's all bad for you. But it is holiday time and my wife is addicted to baking at this time of year.

W3WN
12-22-2014, 12:12 PM

Are they?Define "real" sugar. (I'm thinking sucrose, coming from sugar cane, which is why I ask, just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing)

Before I was taken off the stuff, I could tell the difference between "Mexican Coca-Cola" and the "regular" product. It wasn't just the slight difference(s) in the sweetness; the XE CC had a "tartness" or "kick" I remember from my youth, before CC became New Coke, and then "Classic" Coke was "brought back." It's subtle, but it's there.

Not everyone can tell.

I believe that the reasons for the use of Fructose-type sugars... HFCS being the most notable one... comes down to (a) cost (cane sugar being more expensive), and (b) potency... you need less fructose to achieve the level of "sweetness" than you do with sucrose.

Never mind that too many foods have sugar(s) added to them for no damn good reason.

K7SGJ
12-22-2014, 01:20 PM
I really don't miss drinking a lot of soft drinks. The only thing I do drink is Ginger Ale when my stomach is FU, or an occasional IPA root beer or maybe a sarsaparilla when I can find it. I can't remember the last Coke or Pepsi I had, but it's been a lot of years. I do, however, drink mass quantities of water, and in the summer when I work outside a lot I'll drink a lot of Gatorade G2, as well. If I don't stay real hydrated, I get really severe muscle cramps in my arms and legs. Old age sucks.

KG4NEL
12-22-2014, 11:19 PM
I always avoid Gatorade stops during races - I just can't stand the sweetness.

Might have a few ginger ales a year, anymore. Don't really miss it, if I want something cold and caffeinated there's always iced coffee.

W7XF
12-23-2014, 01:47 AM
I don't drink Monsanto products.

K7SGJ
12-24-2014, 07:52 AM
I don't drink Monsanto products.

I have some Ortho products that might interest you, once.

W7XF
12-25-2014, 10:17 AM
I have some Ortho products that might interest you, once.
Send those to Minnesota Pyongyang!

kb2vxa
12-25-2014, 11:42 AM