PDA

View Full Version : Malware Bundled in Freeware

koØm
12-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I need this program called " Cisco Packet Tracer 6.1" . It is available free for those who have membership to the Cisco Academy (paying to take courses) but not available to those "Free Studiers" of Cisco information.

I found links to D/L the program and did so, but I have not installed it because at the same time I D/Led it, I did a search for Malware connected with the name of the D/L file and came back with positive hits.

My anti-virus is an Enterprise version of McAfee and it seems to be very robust.

My options are: install it in a VM Windows environment on my MacBook, Install the program on a "Burner Laptop" that's just collecting dust or, try to install it in Safe Mode, clean it up while there and then bring it up in Real Mode.

BTW: before I would do anything, I would make a full backup to restore the machine.

WØTKX
12-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Many of the programs consider tools that might be used for hacking as Malware.

And they are not.

kb2vxa
12-20-2014, 02:29 PM
How true that is, and just to make life interesting Microshaft Security Essentials kept quarantining two security files recently added to Java as malware until I finally managed to get it to ignore them. Basically you sometimes have to teach your AV/AM software to stop throwing up false flags when you spot them. Oh, before you clean up anything make sure you're not cleaning up what makes it work.

NY4Q
12-20-2014, 03:38 PM
I also like the freeware that is bundled in malware...

koØm
12-20-2014, 04:59 PM
How true that is, and just to make life interesting Microshaft Security Essentials kept quarantining two security files recently added to Java as malware until I finally managed to get it to ignore them. Basically you sometimes have to teach your AV/AM software to stop throwing up false flags when you spot them. Oh, before you clean up anything make sure you're not cleaning up what makes it work.

http://www.herdprotect.com/cisco-packet-tracer-6.0.1-for-windows-with-tutorials.exe.exe-088a2e7243e4a1123ad9fac064fa9b917316e2cd.aspx

Thoughts?

N1LAF
12-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Just as an idea, in a VM machine, run cameyo (http://www.cameyo.com/) prior to install on the VM, then install the program. When the program finished install, Click on the Cameyo utility that installation is done. Cameyo will repackage the executable to a single exe file, which you can move to where you want it, and the malware will not follow. The package is editable, so if there is any residues, you can remove it from the package.

This method doesn't work with all programs, but will for a majority of them. As a bonus, no more installs, just copy and run.

By the way, free version of Foxit PDF reader is now involved with 'Open Candy'...

NQ6U
12-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Just one more reason to find yourself an alternative to Windows.

kb2vxa
12-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Not so much Windblows as bundled adware. IF during the install process you watch carefully and can deselect unwanted browser helpers, toolbars, etc. by all means deselect them and you'll only install the core program. Some sneaky bastards hide things like Open Candy I've had the misfortune to deal with that can be detected by AV/AM software and can be removed but it sometimes gets tricky when you have to clean up pussy prints (after my cat that liked to leave muddy prints on my car) hidden all over the drive(s). I STILL can't find one left over from KMPlayer I removed months ago that keeps putting crap in the registry but I digress.

You might try the Cameyo route but after seeing what's on the other end of that link I'd rather avoid it altogether.

K7SGJ
12-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Just one more reason to find yourself an alternative to Windows.

You mean like.......doors?

NQ6U
12-24-2014, 09:48 PM
The Registry--you hit on the worst vulnerability of Windows right there. Linux and Unix/OS X don't have a registry, which means you don't have to fuck around playing whack-a-mole with malware.

NQ6U
12-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Or, considering that it's Christmas Eve, chimneys.

VE7DCW
12-24-2014, 11:21 PM

I think Microsoft should've called their OS Doors.... like screen doors or something that was more memorable ....anything that would even have the Jim Morrison seal of approval :mrgreen:

kb2vxa
12-25-2014, 11:11 AM
I would have gone with Linux some time ago but for the old adage you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It's really not that simple, I have a learning disability that has plagued me all my life, simply put most things go in one ear and out the other, things like Morse code. If not for that I would have been licensed as early as the mid 60s but had to wait until taken up in the code-no code war and telling old buzzards to go fork themselves. That having been said, Windblows actually does have some advantages and I just have to deal with the disadvantages... oh well.

W3WN
12-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Search for another source.

I've found that many sites that promote "free" software have one of two little "gotchas" in them...

They use their own installer, which also installs all sorts of Adware as part of the deal to get the "free" software. SOME of these ask you to approve every... single... adware piece, which can sometimes number a dozen or more. However, SOME of them bury your "approval" in the fine print, and just go forward and installs all the garbage anyway. However, if and when that happens, usually a little patience and you can uninstall all of the crap.

Little Miss Field Day has finally caught on to be more careful when she signs up for stuff, but they still nail her on this every now and then. When she pulls this stunt on the Boss's machine, though, then we have a few words...

Ahem.

The other situation sounds like the one you ran into. The malware is also bundled into the installer, but you're given no warning or no opportunity to not install it. And in this case, it's the nastier stuff that someone does NOT want you to know about.

In either case, I've found the best solution is to look for another source for the freeware. They are usually out there; there's usually enough legit sites that simply provide the link, or only ask you about 1 or 2 things (like Google & Google Toolbar), so you should be OK.

I don't know if something as specific as Cisco software will have alternatives, but I'd bet that they're out there, if you can find them.

n2ize
12-26-2014, 08:43 PM
I've been using Linux since the 1990's so I missed out on all the Windows excitement and learning curve.

N1LAF
12-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Software Watch List

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/software-watch-adware-watch-list.htm

koØm
12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
"My anti-virus is an Enterprise version of McAfee and it seems to be very robust."

Well, comes to find out that I have drank too much McAfee-Windows Defender Koolade, I had my head stuck Up My Azz in the sand

Before installing the program, I decided to run "MalwareBytes" on my "clean" system (according to McAfee and MSWD) to make sure it wasn't infected.

It came up with 10 hits of PUPs and PUMs when it cleaned my system. Next, I ran a program called "Junkware Removal Tool" and, it dug deep and pulled more malware and suspicious registry entries out of my machine; last but not least, I ran "AdwCleaner" which also found unwanted entries and hidden malware.

After all this scanning and cleaning, the operation of the PC is marked different; snappier performance and, faster DNS resolution (no longer being re-directed) and page loading. The MalWareBytes is providing real time protection.

I looked around and found a safer download site and installed the packet tracer program. Afterwards, I ran a malware scan and a Anti-virus scan and the machine is clean.

I ran the same drill on a couple of Laptops that travel out of the house and, cleaned all the crap out of them before installing the educational package (packet tracer) on them.

I was being fooled by the "False Clean" Scans of my McAfee and MS Windows Defender.

WØTKX
12-30-2014, 08:54 PM
McAfee and Windows Defender are popular, and therefore targets. A lot of MalWare hides or even payloads by replacing popular AV software files.

MalwareBytes has saved my ass a few times. I've had good luck running AVG and/or Avast as well, just the free versions. However a few years ago I decided to try Panda AV, and it's quite good as well. All of these are free, and with a careful install to avoid "adware" and other crap, they have all served me well. I still use Panda on my NP Notebook. It's cloud based, instantly updated.

When I got my Flex 3000, I needed to address PC latency issues. After a bit of research, it came down to Kaspersky and G-Data. I tried them both in free trial versions, and G-Data used a lot less resources, even running the Flex3000 fine when doing a full scan. Impressive. Yea, it costs me about $30 a year, but I have had good results with this program. Support is slow and annoying, but it works damn well, the only support I've needed is the yearly license bullshit, which is very awkward. Germans. :roll:

Any of you folks running audio/video studio PC stuff have probably had to fight latency issues as well.