PDA

View Full Version : Will Wonders Never Cease

W3WN
12-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Well, the Boss has been dropping hints for some time now that she wanted a tablet of some sort.

After talking things over with a number of people, including my boss, I decided to go with the Amazon Fire 7". For what she wants to do... play solitaire and look at stuff on egg-on-my-Facebook, I figured it would be a good start.

Went ahead and ordered it. Used my Amazon CC; usually I just use the debit card, but I'm low on cash.

Low and behold, I find that I've accumulated a few "Amazon Points" the last few years. So I went to apply them.

The tablet, which will or should be here (they promise "guaranteed delivery" we shall see) on Saturday, will cost me a grand total of exactly... $0.00

...no, I'm not telling her! But, now I can take her to BestBuy and let her pick out a case...

N8XE
12-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Well how about that? A Christmas Miracle!!

(Seriously, that is awesome!)

Jason N8XE

KK4AMI
12-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Don't forget earbuds! If she is anything like my wife it'll be on all night till she goes to sleep!

KB3LAZ
12-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Don't forget earbuds! If she is anything like my wife it'll be on all night till she goes to sleep!

Mine too. How one can play candy crush for such a long period of time...Then again, our significant others probably think the same thing about us and radios.

N2NH
12-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Very impressive. We got Bing rewards to take off $30 on an ASUS MemoPad 7 so it came in under $100 at Amazon.

But nothing beats free.

K0RGR
12-19-2014, 04:32 PM

Thanks, I was looking for an idea for my wife, and earbuds or headphones would be a great idea. My wife has the annoying habit of
doing Facebook on her iPad if she gets bored with the TV show we're watching, and I can't hear the TV over it! Maybe she will get the hint!

While I'm at it, maybe I can replace the ones that came with my iPod - I'm really not that impressed with the ones that are designed to jam in your ear. I find them harder to keep in than the older design.

NQ6U
12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Bought my wife a Kindle two years ago. She hated it the instant she opened it.

NA4BH
12-19-2014, 04:54 PM
You sure that wasn't the framed picture of you?

NQ6U
12-19-2014, 04:57 PM
You sure that wasn't the framed picture of you?

No, that one is still partially embedded in my skull.

K7SGJ
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
No, that one is still partially embedded in my skull.

So, that picture and frame are also up your............oh oh......................never mind.

NA4BH
12-19-2014, 07:15 PM
So the tablet in question isn't a computer, it's Tylenol? I can see that.

W3WN
12-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Mine too. How one can play candy crush for such a long period of time...Then again, our significant others probably think the same thing about us and radios.Hey!

Funny, I was just thinking about you the other day.
----------------------
The box from Amazon came Sunday. Yes, Sunday. They didn't ship it until Friday, so I figured it would arrive today. Not that I'm complaining...

The boss has been in a snit the last 2 weeks or so. Our daughter-in-law has decreed that we are NOT permitted to tell our grandson that any of his gifts came from Santa Claus. Heck of a thing to do to a 5 year old... in any event, I'm getting the brunt of it. I'm really hoping that this unit improves her mood a little.

W3WN
12-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Very impressive. We got Bing rewards to take off $30 on an ASUS MemoPad 7 so it came in under $100 at Amazon.

But nothing beats free.Especially when it was unexpected.

wa6mhz
12-22-2014, 12:51 PM
My wife got a 7 inch tablet for her 10th Anniversary at work. The battery is internal. We charged the battery up and it died immediately. Can't get inside to change the battery, so the device is worthless. She can't return it. So its just another worthless thing stashed in the house

NM5TF
12-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Bought my wife a Kindle two years ago. She hated it the instant she opened it.

bought my XYL a lawnmower a few years back.....she hated it the moment she opened the box...and she didn't take
the hint either.....

KK4AMI
12-22-2014, 01:06 PM
You guys are a joy to read! You all have just restored my faith that my marriage has a chance. You pick out great gifts, you tell me I'm not the only husband who's wife plays "Candy Crush" in bed all night, or sits there watching TV with me while operating her cell phone, tablet and laptop plus interupting me with pictures of dumb animal selfies and relatives text msgs? As for those of you who's wives have not adapted to the tablet, be happy, they will be more likely to resort to those good old fashion activities to amuse themselves before going to sleep.

K7SGJ
12-22-2014, 01:11 PM
bought my XYL a lawnmower a few years back.....she hated it the moment she opened the box...and she didn't take
the hint either.....

Sounds like the year I bought my wife a surface planer. I was amazed she was able to get the planer, box and all, shoved up my ass.

N8XE
12-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Hey!

Funny, I was just thinking about you the other day.
----------------------
The box from Amazon came Sunday. Yes, Sunday. They didn't ship it until Friday, so I figured it would arrive today. Not that I'm complaining...

The boss has been in a snit the last 2 weeks or so. Our daughter-in-law has decreed that we are NOT permitted to tell our grandson that any of his gifts came from Santa Claus. Heck of a thing to do to a 5 year old... in any event, I'm getting the brunt of it. I'm really hoping that this unit improves her mood a little.

Quick soapbox here...

I really have no problem letting kids believe in Santa Claus. I have a good friend who did the same thing. They felt it improper to lie to their kids, Santa Claus being fantasy an all. Their kids are pretty messed up now... coincidence? Hmmmm....

Seriously though, I am glad when I was little my parents played along with the Santa story. Christmas was magical for me (and still is).

Jason N8XE

K7SGJ
12-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Quick soapbox here...

I really have no problem letting kids believe in Santa Claus. I have a good friend who did the same thing. They felt it improper to lie to their kids, Santa Claus being fantasy an all. Their kids are pretty messed up now... coincidence? Hmmmm....

Seriously though, I am glad when I was little my parents played along with the Santa story. Christmas was magical for me (and still is).

Jason N8XE

Kids hell. I still believe in Santa Claus. It's just gone from being a person to being a feeling or an attitude, or something like that.

However, the Ho thing sure has a different meaning for me these days.

W3WN
12-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Quick soapbox here...

Jason N8XEWell, I have no problem with him believing in Santa Clause at his age... and I'm not even goyim.

No, the real issue is that my daughter-in-law is feeling the effects of having lost both of her parents; her father several years ago, her mother fairly recently. This is a side effect of her issues... and yes, we both think she may need some professional help, even just to talk to someone. But that's neither here nor there, at the moment.

So, the side effect up here is that my wife, who is being deprived of the chance to play Santa Clause, is upset and lashing out at me; I'm the obvious target since I'm not a Christian, let alone a Catholic. The only reason I'm putting up with it, and it's getting harder every day, is that I know what the root cause is. But there have been moments... no, I will keep my temper under control.

NQ6U
12-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Santa Claus being fantasy an all.

Wait, what do you mean, Santa Claus is a fantasy?????

N8XE
12-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Well, I have no problem with him believing in Santa Clause at his age... and I'm not even goyim.

No, the real issue is that my daughter-in-law is feeling the effects of having lost both of her parents; her father several years ago, her mother fairly recently. This is a side effect of her issues... and yes, we both think she may need some professional help, even just to talk to someone. But that's neither here nor there, at the moment.

So, the side effect up here is that my wife, who is being deprived of the chance to play Santa Clause, is upset and lashing out at me; I'm the obvious target since I'm not a Christian, let alone a Catholic. The only reason I'm putting up with it, and it's getting harder every day, is that I know what the root cause is. But there have been moments... no, I will keep my temper under control.

My apologies to you and your family. My soapbox is pretty damn rickety anyway. It's best to just kick it out from under me. You would think I would learn to not make assumptions about people that may violate my questionable sense of righteousness.

You are a bigger person than most by dealing with that situation. Hope your daughter-in-law can get some help.

Jason N8XE

N8XE
12-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Wait, what do you mean, Santa Claus is a fantasy?????

Uh... fantasy... uh...

Go ask your mother!!

Jason N8XE

W5BRM
12-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Life is just a Fantasy, Can you live a Fantasy Life??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3sbAa_CqRk

KK4AMI
12-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Well, I have no problem with him believing in Santa Clause at his age... and I'm not even goyim.

"Why did God create goys?"
"Somebody has to buy retail."

PA5COR
12-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Santa Claus comes from the Dutch immigrants importing "Sinterklaas" to the USA.
You guy's basterdised it........;)

N2NH
12-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Santa Claus comes from the Dutch immigrants importing "Sinterklaas" to the USA.
You guy's basterdised it........;)

Actually it was a German dude named Nast. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Nast) He also gave us those ridiculous icons for the Democratic and Republican parties. We has Santas in Red and Green suits until Coke made him an advertising campaign (or so they say), and he's been red ever since.

Personally, it'd be nice to just celebrate for those who want to. The rest can trade coal nuggets for all I care.:mrgreen:

W7XF
12-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Santa Claus =