PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Study

N8XE
12-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Welp, tomorrow evening I go in for my second sleep study. The first one was this past Sunday evening, and it was interesting. The facility was very nice and the people were great. Got all hooked up and was ready for bed. I was pretty tired too so I figured that I would be asleep in no time.

NOPE!

If I would drift off to sleep, I would realize I needed to head to the bathroom to pee. When you do this, you have to let the tech know so they can unhook you. I would get back into bed and start to doze off. Then the tech would come in and have to adjust something. Grrr... ok, back to sleep (I hope). Nope, need to pee again. Same routine. Not very comfortable with wires hanging on you. Another adjustment.. another pee.

About 2:30 am, I had to use the restroom again, and I commented that the other folks there at the clinic was probably having a better time that I did. The tech mentioned that I was asleep a few times.

It sure didn't feel like it.

Tomorrow I am bringing my own pillows and not drinking anything all evening!

Jason N8XE

w2amr
12-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Do you have apnea?

W3WN
12-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Do you have apnea?He might, and not know it.

My last sleep study, the tech kept waking me up every few hours, because there was a problem with one of the sensors. Ugh. Then the wondered why my results seemed inconclusive. (I wasn't supposed to over hear that). It's been a few years, I'm probably due for another one soon.

N8XE
12-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Yeah, they are suspecting apnea. I did realize how bad that can be for some. I don't think I have it as bad as others, but if wearing a machine on my head can help me in the long run, I am all for it.

My wife wears the machine so if I need to start wearing it, we will be the ultimate CPAP couple.

Jason N8XE

NQ6U
12-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Huh?? Wha...? You woke me up for this??? Thanks a lot...

w2amr
12-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah, they are suspecting apnea. I did realize how bad that can be for some. I don't think I have it as bad as others, but if wearing a machine on my head can help me in the long run, I am all for it.

My wife wears the machine so if I need to start wearing it, we will be the ultimate CPAP couple.

Jason N8XE
That must take some getting used to.
I did my own sleep study. I concluded that all I need is 10 MG of ambian every nite.:snicker:

W5BRM
12-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I took mine in 2009. the techs gave me 2 tests. One without and one with the cpap. They said I didint sleep more then a minute at a time without the cpap. They said I slept all night WITH the cpap. I said "Are you SURE?" they said "Most Defnitley YES" I then went on to describe every TV show, over night movie, infomercial and sitcom I watched between 11pm and 5am when the test ended. They ignored what I said and continued to state that I needed it because thier test said I needed it. It was a total sham!

My cpap prescription was forced on me at a time when CPAP was all the rage because some famous football player kicked the bucket when it was thought he needed the cpap. It was a real political hot point especially in the trucking industry... Someone in the medical industry in Washington decided they needed to sell a million cpap units and couldn't figure out how so they got with lawmakers and came up with the plan to dump them on the trucking industry. No other industry in the US is as heavily regulated in the health dept as the the trucking industry is, so they jumped on that bandwagon.

It's gotten so profitable that all the major trucking companies actually have thier own sleep study facilities and force their employees to pay $1k for their cpap machine. The machine that they force you to buy lists for about $700 on sites like CPAP.com and other sales sites. Can you say CORRUPTION? Its a total rip when your employer rips you off like that. My company said that 70% of our drivers are on the cpap systems now. My employer has about 7k driving employees. imagine a $300 profit x 4900. Thats almost 1.5 million dollars! All because some football dude died cuz his neck was too big.

I know this post kinda wandered a bit but its just a frustrating subject to me.

Not saying you may or may not need as your situation is different then mine but I'd see about getting a 2nd opnion somewhere so you can make sure you're not getting ripped by greedy medical types.

I do wish you luck on your test.

wa6mhz
12-18-2014, 04:01 PM
I probably have that too, but I don't want to hafta sleep with a CPAP mask on every night! Hard enough to go to sleep as it is! I do hafta get up and go weewee several times a night so the Prostate is on the BLINK too. but thats what happens to us old guys!

suddenseer
12-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Huh?? Wha...? You woke me up for this??? Thanks a lot...The nurse just wanted to wake you up so you can take your sleeping pill.

suddenseer
12-18-2014, 04:07 PM
After my last 2 weight losses, I discovered the apnea went away on it's own.

KG4NEL
12-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I volunteered as a control in one a few years ago. Worst part about it was the glue they used for the EEG pads took forever to come out - I was in my long hair phase at the time.

KK4AMI
12-18-2014, 04:34 PM
My sleep problems ended when I got my wife ear plugs!

WØTKX
12-18-2014, 04:34 PM
I have a CDL, and passed my two year physical this fall. Was told that my BMI was edging into the zone for a mandatory sleep study. My BMI has always been off by about 20% on the charts. I've used the dunk tank to prove it before. I'm simply built funny, with a long trunk and short legs. I'm 5'9", and built like this guy...

http://mr.comingsoon.it/imgdb/SerieTV/serie/86/foto/10863.jpg

The BMI chart does not allow for those of us that must have more of that gentle neanderthal DNA. :mrgreen:

w2amr
12-18-2014, 04:36 PM
I probably have that too, but I don't want to hafta sleep with a CPAP mask on every night! Hard enough to go to sleep as it is! I do hafta get up and go weewee several times a night so the Prostate is on the BLINK too. but thats what happens to us old guys!What's your PSA number? You may need a nice transrectal prostate biopsy. I had one last summer. It's just delightful.

KG4NEL
12-18-2014, 04:37 PM
*tiptoes out of this thread before it turns to 75 meters...*

:yum:

NQ6U
12-18-2014, 04:38 PM
"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I go like this!"

KK4AMI
12-18-2014, 04:38 PM
I have a CDL, and passed my two year physical this fall. Was told that my BMI was edging into the zone for a mandatory sleep study. My BMI has always been off by about 20% on the charts. I've used the dunk tank to prove it before. I'm simply built funny, with a long trunk and short legs. I'm 5'9", and built like this guy...

http://mr.comingsoon.it/imgdb/SerieTV/serie/86/foto/10863.jpg

The BMI chart does not allow for those of us that must have more of that gentle neanderthal DNA. :mrgreen:

That is not funny, that's the way mountain people are built. That low center of gravity is for going up and down steep inclines. :lol:

W3WN
12-18-2014, 09:50 PM
"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I go like this!"Doctor: "Then stop doing that!"

[cue: rimshot]

W3WN
12-18-2014, 09:52 PM
I probably have that too, but I don't want to hafta sleep with a CPAP mask on every night! Hard enough to go to sleep as it is! I do hafta get up and go weewee several times a night so the Prostate is on the BLINK too. but thats what happens to us old guys!You'll get used to it.

W2NAP
12-19-2014, 12:08 AM
no way in hell I would be able to sleep with a crapload of stuff attached to me.. hell i can't even sleep if someone is in the same room as me. I have to have a private room with locked doors

KC2UGV
12-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Sleep studies never really worked for me. I could never fall asleep the couple of times I had to have it done.

K0RGR
12-19-2014, 04:30 PM
I've been using mine so long that I really can't sleep without it for very long, now. I've thought about buying a second one to keep in the car, just in case.

The companies that handle them locally are as crooked as the day is long. They are scamming insurance companies and Medicare like there is no tomorrow. I didn't realize this back when we had 'double' insurance so what mine didn't pay, the wife's policy picked up. Once I was just on her policy, I started getting gigantic bills for co-pays on CPAP supplies - $400 at a crack. They were billing my insurance for over $1200 in addition! This was for stuff I buy online now for under $100, retail. The main company that does this locally now has a new wrinkle - they won't sell you the machine, you have to lease it. The insurance company pays 80% of the lease on most of their plans. So, for a machine that retails for $800 mail order, your insurance pays out over $1,000 a year, and you pay the copay. You pay for the machine at least 5 times over.

Of course, if I need service, I'm screwed. But I'd rather mail order a new one than let these people rob me and my insurance company.

I have no doubt that there are doctors who are helping to pull a scam - it has to be a fantastically lucrative business. But, I believe my sleep study was accurate. My blood oxygen level improved dramatically, as measured by my personal doctor who was not affiliated with the potential scammers. My threat of stroke is supposedly much reduced, too. I used to snore like a banshee, and my wife sleeps much better now. Of course, if she snores, I can't sleep, but the noise of the CPAP helps drown her out. She did the sleep study and was told she didn't need it, which really surprised me, because I was certain she had it. They told her she has restless leg syndrome, which would explain it, too.

They sell some nice portable units that run off batteries. I think I want one of those as a backup.

wa6mhz
12-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Everytime I got to the Dr for a checkup, he puts on a Rubber glove. I tell him to stop and take it off! ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! He can forget about checking me! I will just live with whatever happens

K7SGJ
12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Everytime I got to the Dr for a checkup, he puts on a Rubber glove. I tell him to stop and take it off! ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! He can forget about checking me! I will just live with whatever happens

Or not......................

N8XE
12-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Ok, I am laying here waiting for them to come in and attach electronics to me and hook me up. I got to decide on which mask I wanted to try. I went with the full on mount and nose mask. I usually sleep with my mouth closed, but I decided to be safe with the full storm trooper mask.

We shall see how this goes..

Oh yea, I thought that I had to not drink alcohol for 24 hours prior to the test. Found out that it is really 6 hours.

DAMNIT!!!

Jason N8XE

suddenseer
12-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Nitey Night!

N8XE
12-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Well, that went pretty good. Getting to sleep was still difficult (it is hard to sleep knowing someone is watching you...) My dreams were pretty damn weird too. When they woke me up, it felt weird not feeling groggy. I actually felt awake!!

Maybe those doctors are on to something...

I expect to be getting my very own machine soon.

So to celebrate, I am drinking some Crown Royal.

Jason N8XE

kb2vxa
12-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Mmmm, nothing like the good shtuff even if my drug of choice is Jamison's. Nitey nite Darth and don't let the bed bugs bite, not easy these days when the damn things are everywhere like the 11th plague of Egypt.

n6hcm
12-24-2014, 05:06 AM

your doc needs to read up on his research. neither the rubber glove nonsense nor the psa stuff matter very much for most prostate cancers.

n6hcm
12-24-2014, 05:08 AM
Well, that went pretty good. Getting to sleep was still difficult (it is hard to sleep knowing someone is watching you...) My dreams were pretty damn weird too. When they woke me up, it felt weird not feeling groggy. I actually felt awake!!

just wait until you get your own machine and can sleep in your own bed. truly awesome!

W7XF
12-25-2014, 10:18 AM
just wait until you get your own machine and can sleep in your own bed. truly awesome!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

N8XE
12-29-2014, 01:16 PM
I pick up my machine on New Year's Eve. So for the first night of 2015 I am sleeping with a CPAP. It should be interesting that is for sure.

And BTW, I make this look good!!

Jason N8XE

W5BRM
12-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Ok photochop gurus! Paste a jet cockpit in the background so XE can live the fantasy!!

Hehe!

It'll be good once you sleep all night. I had issues with my face gasket not sealing tight to my skin. Kept having one little jet of air needling my left eye. Once that got addressed, it was all good.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3555/3794180655_e56100eefe.jpg

K7SGJ
12-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Ok photochop gurus! Paste a jet cockpit in the background so XE can live the fantasy!!

Hehe!

It'll be good once you sleep all night. I had issues with my face gasket not sealing tight to my skin. Kept having one little jet of air needling my left eye. Once that got addressed, it was all good.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3555/3794180655_e56100eefe.jpg

Staples from an air gun are good for that.

suddenseer
12-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Here is the one I used to wear. As you can see, I am very comfortable.

KG4NEL
12-29-2014, 09:21 PM
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8463244/img/Anonymous/altered-states-poster-4.jpg

HUGH
12-30-2014, 06:27 AM
After my last 2 weight losses, I discovered the apnea went away on it's own.

That I have heard of frequently. The other is over-consumption of alcohol on a regular basis. How much constitutes over-consumption perhaps depends on the individual.

N8XE
12-30-2014, 08:14 AM
That I have heard of frequently. The other is over-consumption of alcohol on a regular basis. How much constitutes over-consumption perhaps depends on the individual.

Yeah.. I plan to make some changes including getting back to running... well.. maybe walking.

I do need to cut back on alcohol use. I regularly drink 1 to 4 servings daily, usually in the evening.

According to the sleep studies, I seem to have a mild form of sleep apnea. Enough of it for the doctor to recommend the machine.

Jason N8XE

N8XE
12-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Just got back from the consultation and getting the machine. It is a cool device! It knows when I am sleeping.. it knows when I am awake... I hope it does not know when I have been bad or good... and it all gets sent every day via the cell network to my doctor... So they will know if I am using the machine or not.

So they said I stop breathing 7 times an hour which is not bad.. but not good either. One person at the consultation stopped breathing 70 times an hour. I think my wife stopped 40 times an hour.

Weird stuff...

I get hooked into the matrix tonight.

Jason N8XE

NQ6U
12-31-2014, 12:37 PM

Take the Red Pill. Or is it the Blue Pill? I can never keep that straight...

N8XE
12-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Take the Red Pill. Or is it the Blue Pill? I can never keep that straight...

I think the Blue Pill is the one you have to worry about... especially after something has been straight longer than 4 hours.

Jason N8XE

W3WN
12-31-2014, 03:16 PM
Just got back from the consultation and getting the machine. It is a cool device! It knows when I am sleeping.. it knows when I am awake... I hope it does not know when I have been bad or good... and it all gets sent every day via the cell network to my doctor... So they will know if I am using the machine or not.

So they said I stop breathing 7 times an hour which is not bad.. but not good either. One person at the consultation stopped breathing 70 times an hour. I think my wife stopped 40 times an hour.

Weird stuff...

Jason N8XEMy BiPAP is old enough that I don't have to worry about it reporting back on me. I think I'd draw the line at that.

(Believe me, SOMEBODY is paying to monitor the, ah, monitoring. I get enough Doctor bills in the mail as it is!)

suddenseer
12-31-2014, 03:37 PM
That I have heard of frequently. The other is over-consumption of alcohol on a regular basis. How much constitutes over-consumption perhaps depends on the individual.I do not drink that often, but when I do.....just ask Fred, and Nicole, and their giant cat that woke me up.

NA4BH
12-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Speaking of sleeping, have you seen the price of mattresses lately? Holy snit !!!!!

kd6nig
01-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Bought a new bed about a year ago.

With the price of the mattress, they should have "tossed in" the frame for free. :)

N8XE
01-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Night two, I am already noticing a difference. When I get up, I am immediately alert and awake. Not dragging throughout the morning.

This is weird! You mean, people are not groggy in the morning?

Jason N8XE