PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Filament Lamps

n2ize
12-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Today I got my order in of some electrical supplies. Included were some replacement candelabra sockets for a chandelier, a few irregular CFL fluorescent, and, my 60 watt clear carbon filament bulb. I bought it as a sort of a novelty/amusement... and to satisfy my interest in virtually everything that can emit light. It runs 60 watts at 120 volts but delivers only 400 Lumens. It's rated lifespan is a whopping 2000 hours. It's definitely not the kind of bulb you want to use as your general purpose lighting and it certainly is not energy saving. Still it does give off a very pretty warm yellowish light at a colour temp of 2800 K. I might use it in an antique table lamp that I have and which I turn on only a few times a year. Or I could order a few dozen of them and use them throughout the house... LOL.

w2amr
12-18-2014, 02:23 PM
I used to love watching these when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWBkYkPvIBA

N2NH
12-18-2014, 05:21 PM
I used to love watching these when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWBkYkPvIBA

I there isn't a Christmas that goes by that I fail to remember these. Seemed like every store was selling them too. :)

n2ize
12-18-2014, 05:27 PM
I there isn't a Christmas that goes by that I fail to remember these. Seemed like every store was selling them too. :)

My grandparents had those bubble lights. They used to hang them on the tree every Christmas. Back in the early 2000's some company made repro sets of these bubble lights. I bought two sets and used one set to augment my window decorations. If I can find them I might set them up this year. Also, if anyone has an old set it is possible to pry them open and replace the bulb within that provides the light to light the globe and the heat to boil the liquid. Old sets can be restored.

KG4CGC
12-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Just put an optic fiber tree up in the shop. Pretty neat. LEDs in the base that sparkle on the tips of the faux needles.

n2ize
12-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Nice but look at that electrical outlet !! OVERLOADED !!

W5BRM
12-19-2014, 07:26 AM
BONGTREE!!! FTW!!

kd6nig
12-19-2014, 02:01 PM
My grandparents had those bubble lights. They used to hang them on the tree every Christmas. Back in the early 2000's some company made repro sets of these bubble lights. I bought two sets and used one set to augment my window decorations. If I can find them I might set them up this year. Also, if anyone has an old set it is possible to pry them open and replace the bulb within that provides the light to light the globe and the heat to boil the liquid. Old sets can be restored.

My Mom had a set of those too. They went in the trash though when a short caused a bit of the cloth insulation (!) to catch fire. She bought some newer sets and all was well.