PDA

View Full Version : OK I am stupid, but......

suddenseer
12-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Why is a cb radio store selling these?????

I would think that it would snooze powering a 5 watt xmitr.

http://www.wearecb.com/astron.html

NQ6U
12-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Overkill indeed if you're running legal. I used to run my 4 watt CB off of a 5A supply. If it's been modified, though, you might need a bit more.

K7SGJ
12-15-2014, 10:23 PM
It's to run all them pills.

KJ3N
12-15-2014, 10:37 PM
You're not stupid, just naive.

You need something like that to run your 4-pill amp.

No excuses on Da Bowl.

WØTKX
12-15-2014, 11:58 PM
It's for the accessories.

PA5COR
12-16-2014, 03:19 AM
You need an overvoltage PSU with a gazillion amps to feed the 16 -24 pill amp, don't you know?

wa6mhz
12-16-2014, 10:10 AM
I have TWO of those, no I don't wanna get rid of one!

PA5COR
12-16-2014, 02:24 PM
Homebrew 80 amp PSU 2-18 volts and one fixed 13.8 volt 40 amp, on the bench, 2 x SEC 1223 PSU's one spare one in use for the FT 100 and accessoires like LED light strip to light up the FT 2000-D front, and feeding the Daiwa CN 801 SWR power meter.
Meh.

n2ize
12-16-2014, 03:01 PM
You need an overvoltage PSU with a gazillion amps to feed the 16 -24 pill amp, don't you know?

How much BIRD do ya get outta all them pills ?

kb2vxa
12-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't know, I had one once but it couldn't swallow all those pills.

W2NAP
12-16-2014, 06:21 PM
How much BIRD do ya get outta all them pills ?

bird watts totally better then dosy watts.

K7SGJ
12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
I knew a country dancer that wanted one of those meters but, he just didn't have enough........................................ Dosy Dough.

NA4BH
12-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Something has to power the roger beep and echo.

suddenseer
12-17-2014, 06:18 PM
You're not stupid, just naive.

You need something like that to run your 4-pill amp.

No excuses on Da Bowl.Actually, it was a rhetorical question. I was a bit taken back that they are so blatant in the website advertising. This brought back mempries of when Hollingsworth took over the FCC enforcement. Agents raided one of the 14.313/75M morans (sic), and noted he was working on an amplifier that was capable of about 5KW PEP. Totally legal, but.....

N8YX
12-17-2014, 06:54 PM
5KW is chump change.

The former holder of K3FT (IIRC) was an FCC engineer who participated in a raid against one of the 75M "horse racers", as the old 3895 crowd was known. What they found required a Drake L4B running 2KW PEP output for drive power. All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards.

NA4BH
12-17-2014, 07:39 PM
I actually thought the title of this thread would lead me to an autobiography of Eddie's life. But I guess I'm the stupid one.

suddenseer
12-17-2014, 08:01 PM
5KW is chump change.

The former holder of K3FT (IIRC) was an FCC engineer who participated in a raid against one of the 75M "horse racers", as the old 3895 crowd was known. What they found required a Drake L4B running 2KW PEP output for drive power. All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards.I did contract engineering work for a few class C stations. One was a owned by a preacher. I told him about some must have items for required maintenance, and he replied that he would "pray about it". I told him to pray for a new engineer. He sent his son, the rev. junior to one of those one week seminar schools to pass the first phone. Gawd does indeed answer prayer. Even gawd (his pronunciation) can arbitrate standards. It was often a struggle to keep things barely within the specs. Some amateur stations are better designed/built, but maybe not legal...lol.

kd6nig
12-18-2014, 12:06 PM
50A will run anything you ever have. Unless its 2.5 KW.

I run off of batteries at home, but if everything keyed at the same time-packet 2m @10W, the HF rig at 100W, and the 2m/440 at a few watts as well as the scanner, backlight for the tuner....I'd be getting fairly close. Course, that will never happen, but having the capacity there doesn't hurt if you have all of that going on.

You can get that kind of power no problem out of 2 100ah batteries like I have as well, of course.

But for the "CB" crowd....thats nothing. The guy I knew in the Bay Area who had a small forklift battery in the camper shell of his pickup with a 100A charger feeding it...so he could power a 2.5KW comes to mind, though he usually never ran it "all the way up" usually. He didn't have to. But if he ever did, that thing drew unreal amperage.

His advantage was living on a boat and having his antenna way at the top of a mast on the boat. I had a little 5W Uniden in my car and was sitting in the lot at HRO with a friend of mine (I had just bought a new Alinco HT and I was programming it real quick to test it). I forgot what he was running, but he put a call out for me and my friend. Hes up near SF, we're in Sunnyvale. He heard us no problem....with 5W. Amazing ears. He was running a bit so we could hear him, but he heard us no problem.

There were some guys out there that were pretty technical. I actually learned a lot of radio theory from him. He was a ham op too though. I couldn't believe the size of that extra power he had though. It extended about 3/4 of the bed. He kept it on a pallet. Was just unreal.

Haven't talked to him in over a year. I should email him. :)

suddenseer
12-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I still do not think most cbers, and many a few extra class ham operators to be sure understand the logarithmic nature of the decibel signal scale. I would think the term. "deci" would offer a clue, but what do I know?

NQ6U
12-18-2014, 04:33 PM
I would think the term. "deci" would offer a clue, but what do I know?

"One-tenth," as in 0.1 Bel.

suddenseer
12-18-2014, 04:44 PM
"One-tenth," as in 0.1 Bel.Ding Dong.

KG4NEL
12-19-2014, 10:41 AM
50A will run anything you ever have. Unless its 2.5 KW.

Yeah, but it's Astron, so an "optimistic" 50A :mrgreen:

5KW is chump change.

The former holder of K3FT (IIRC) was an FCC engineer who participated in a raid against one of the 75M "horse racers", as the old 3895 crowd was known. What they found required a Drake L4B running 2KW PEP output for drive power. All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards.

I should have met the guy who was selling a 4CX10000 leenyer and 6-element quad locally. He wanted to trade it for a Harley or pickup.

koØm
12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah, but it's Astron, so an "optimistic" 50A :mrgreen:

I should have met the guy who was selling a 4CX10000 leenyer and 6-element quad locally. He wanted to trade it for a Harley or pickup.

Sounds like a fair trade if I could see the amp work and, if I did not have to bring the beams down myself.

kb2vxa
12-20-2014, 01:45 PM
"All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards."

That sounds familiar, here's the infamous Cottage of Wattage with a 10KW Collins 21E inside.

KG4NEL
12-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a fair trade if I could see the amp work and, if I did not have to bring the beams down myself.

Converting everything to 7/16" DIN is a little rich for my blood... :mrgreen:

VE7DCW
12-29-2014, 08:38 PM
"All of the equipment including the antenna and grounding system was built to broadcast engineering standards."

That sounds familiar, here's the infamous Cottage of Wattage with a 10KW Collins 21E inside.

"The Cottage of Wattage" ........ man...... I LIKE that one!!!! :yes: :mrgreen:

KF4ZGZ
01-03-2015, 08:14 PM
The used to be a cb'er around here that that would not talk unless his 10k was lit up.
I overheard someone ask him one night how many tubes he had inline at one time .....
His reply was , "at least 20". :shock:
When he was on the air i would get bleed over from 6m-20m .... unreal.

He's dead now .... I wouldn't be surprised rf exposure was a contributor.

I had a guy try to sell me a 100,000 watt ONE tube rf deck once.
He said it was used in his business making wood laminate products, and this one was being replace with a newer, bigger unit.
He also said it came with the name of a guy who could put it on the air in whatever frequency range I wanted. :shock::nuts:

Matt

kb2vxa
01-04-2015, 11:36 AM
"The Cottage of Wattage" ........ man...... I LIKE that one!!!!"
That's what it's called on the web site I downloaded the picture from. Google the name, I disclaim any responsibility. (;->)

"I had a guy try to sell me a 100,000 watt ONE tube rf deck once."
We have Misfit Island, CBers have Fantasy Island.
It is possible however in the wonderful world of Collins and the VOA, the defunct Bethany, OH site had 4 250KW transmitters with two tubes in the final. The site that really strapped during the VOA vs. Radio Moscow propaganda war was Greenville, NC with one of those mofos driving a ONE TUBE 2MW amp into a Sterba Curtain giving it 20MW ERP. Incidentally, broadcast transmitters are rated in unmodulated carrier output. Can you say ouch?

koØm
01-07-2015, 10:25 PM
So much that I wear it's Serial Number tad around my neck like Army Dog Tags.

It was manufactured on the 19th day of the fifth month in 1993