PDA

View Full Version : Curses, Foiled Again

W3WN
12-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Well, another December, another Piratefest, and another attempt by Little Miss Field Day to win the "Oh Say Can You Sing" competition.

I thought that this was the best rendition she's done yet. OK, so my opinion is biased, sue me.

Long & short of it... she was winning, with 26 points (the three judges were pretty stingy this time around, and didn't seem to want to be there), until the next to last singer. Now, this girl was good, very good. Was she better? I didn't think so, but they gave her 3 10's -- 30 points, and she won. Afterwards, the one player who gave Jess an 8 came up to her afterwards, apologized and said he should have given her a 10 also. Oh well.

However, all the finalists got something (never been done before), 2 tickets to a 2015 game. So it wasn't a total loss. They were also all told that if there was an opening for someone to sing the national anthem at a 2015 game, they might get a call. Not holding our breath on that one, but it was nice to hear anyway.

Here's the link to the video... judge for yourself. http://youtu.be/SHSjYEchJIQ

NQ6U
12-13-2014, 09:27 PM
http://momsneedtoknow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/reynolds-wrap.gif

N2CHX
12-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Very, very nice. You could tell she was a bit nervous, but beautiful rendition.

W3WN
12-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanks Kel.

She really thought she was going to win it this year... until the next to last singer. I caught the two girls chatting right before everything started, can you tell why the other girl (who was an excellent singer, by the way, no question) won?
To put things in context...

Everyone else was dressed like Jess was. Pirate shirts of all sorts and jeans. This girl? We found out that she was going to a formal Christmas dance this evening, so she was dressed for it (and she did look stunning... especially when you consider that she was 13. Yes, 13. ). So she stood out.

The three players who were judging weren't scheduled to be doing it. I don't know who was, but we found out a little while afterwards that John Candelaria (the alumni), for one, was originally scheduled to pose for pictures with the fans at one of the booths. What we suspect happened was... well, we also learned that 2 of the Pirates players got married today (obviously, not at Piratefest!! ). So, we think the people originally scheduled were no-shows because they were at one or the other of the weddings.

The players were clearly uninterested. Until this little girl stood up. (And to be fair, her age wasn't announced until after she was declared the winner). To be honest, I think she "won" before she sang a note... unless she'd stumbled badly, which she didn't. Now, she had a fantastic voice, she did botch the lyrics a little. I don't think they noticed. (Yes, I think the three judges were drooling more than a little bit... until she said she was 13, then they all looked a little embarrassed, as they should have been. Lechers.)

Jess is a little disappointed that she lost, again. But she has no problem with the winner. We can just hope that she does get a call, sometime during the season.

NA4BH
12-13-2014, 11:53 PM
She did very good, shame they didn't pick her. I think I'd watch the called ID next year for that call.

Congrats to your daughter for her NOT making the song "HER OWN" like 99.9% of the singers do.

KC2UGV
12-14-2014, 09:54 AM
She did well :)

K7SGJ
12-14-2014, 10:01 AM
I admire anyone who can perform in front of others. I can't imagine singing in front of a stadium full of people. She did very well, and it is clear from what you have posted in the past, that she really enjoys performing. I hope she does get a shot at singing for the fans.

N2CHX
12-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Wow, Ron. Yeah I can definitely see that. That's just BS, and if she fumbled the lyrics no way should she have won. Period. Your daughter did wonderfully and she should keep plugging away at it. Incidentally, my daughter with the thick curly hair very much like yours also sings and she was very disappointed not to get into the musical in high school this year. The teacher doing the auditions later told her he wanted very badly to include her but she doesn't dance well and every part involves dancing.

KG4CGC
12-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Well, what can ya do? That's Show Business!

NQ6U
12-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Well, what can ya do? That's Show Business!

And there's no business like show business, like no business I know.

K7SGJ
12-14-2014, 10:45 AM
And there's no business like show business, like no business I know.

Thanks for that, Ethel.

NQ6U
12-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for that, Ethel.

I'm not Ethel, but she said she liked it better when you were in Minnesota.

K7SGJ
12-14-2014, 11:53 AM
And the horse you rode in on.

NQ6U
12-14-2014, 12:07 PM
And the horse you rode in on.

She liked that better, too.

K7SGJ
12-14-2014, 01:12 PM
She liked that better, too.

Reminds me of an act I saw in a border town a little south of you, but I digress.

NQ6U
12-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Reminds me of an act I saw in a border town a little south of you, but I digress.

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

http://skreened.com/render-product/n/a/m/namkweywwiqcnksxkquv/tijuana-donkey-show.anvil-unisex-heavyweight-tee.ash.w760h760.jpg

K7SGJ
12-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

http://skreened.com/render-product/n/a/m/namkweywwiqcnksxkquv/tijuana-donkey-show.anvil-unisex-heavyweight-tee.ash.w760h760.jpg

Huh, the donkey looks pretty much the same, but I remember the Senora being a whole lot heavier and no where near that cute.

NQ6U
12-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Huh, the donkey looks pretty much the same, but I remember the Senora being a whole lot heavier and no where near that cute.

There are no truth in advertising laws in Mexico.

K7SGJ
12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
There are no truth in advertising laws in Mexico.

And here I thought 5 bucks could buy just about anything down there. Even truth.

N2NH
12-14-2014, 11:04 PM
And here I thought 5 bucks could buy just about anything down there. Even truth.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/cf/3f/e0/cf3fe065d3d6f3c8bb95eff923c8b36d.jpg

W3WN
12-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Wow, Ron. Yeah I can definitely see that. That's just BS, and if she fumbled the lyrics no way should she have won. Period. Your daughter did wonderfully and she should keep plugging away at it. Incidentally, my daughter with the thick curly hair very much like yours also sings and she was very disappointed not to get into the musical in high school this year. The teacher doing the auditions later told her he wanted very badly to include her but she doesn't dance well and every part involves dancing.Yeah, well, so it goes. Wait 'till next year! Eventually, she's going to get to do it, one way or another.

WRT to your daughter... They don't have as many kids go out for HS Musical as they'd like, so pretty much everyone who auditions gets in. But a lot of kids end up in the Ensemble, and often it's kids just like your daughter, who can sing but not dance, or dance but not sing. The simple solution would be for her to take a few dance lessons before next year (unless she's a senior, of course) -- and NOT give up.