PDA

View Full Version : Special Event/DX Expeditions & Mobile/QRP

NM5TF
12-12-2014, 12:31 PM
While listening to the pileups on 10M yesterday trying to work the special event stations in the Falkland Islands,
I was reminded of something that seems to occur most of the time....the operator never seems to take the time
to call for mobile or QRP stations....

I for 1, with my 25 Watts into a mag-mount vertical, certainly can't compete with someone pushing a KW into a
multi-element Yagi on a tall tower....and the sigs were pretty good yesterday....

it's not like I haven't worked VP8 before, I even talked to Bob VP8LP on 10M with my 25 W, so it is possible...I
was just throwing out a suggestion to the OP's that do these special events/expeditions....maybe every 15-30
minutes, put out a call for Mobile/QRP stations.....

what do ya'll think ???

wa6mhz
12-12-2014, 12:48 PM
When working the RED BADGE day, I sometimes let the pileup go longer than the first few callers and I find weak stations at the end of the pile. They got thru because they knew when to call. Many were QRP and mobile. I always complement them on a tremendous job for being so low power. Last opportunity to do it is DEC 31st. I will listen for the QRP and Mobiles. I want everyone in the log who wants to work me.

W3WN
12-12-2014, 03:28 PM
December 31st? Is SKN Eve also going to be another Red Badge day?

NQ6U
12-12-2014, 03:32 PM
December 31st? Is SKN Eve also going to be another Red Badge day?

"SKN" sounds like it should mean "Silent Key Night," when all the dead hams return to haunt the airwaves.

KG4NEL
12-12-2014, 03:43 PM
what do ya'll think ???

I think this is the reason why I can't stand pileups, outside of contests.

It's amazing what the ionosphere can do when you don't have a pack of rabid hyenas on the same frequency.

W5BRM
12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
"SKN" sounds like it should mean "Silent Key Night," when all the dead hams return to haunt the airwaves.

Wake the Dead! Wake the Dead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozs_jVp4-sA

N8YX
12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Hmmm...low power mobile. Bicycle mobile. An antenna I can make, and I can use an LDG or similar auto-matcher for 20-10M operation.

But which radio to use?

I love my VX6 and 7R for outdoors duty as they're both submersible - not just water resistant. The problem, of course, is that none of the low-power HF multimode offerings ( specifically, the FT-817ND, Youkits and X108 ) are waterproof or have detachable heads.

Are any of you aware of a smallish, flip-front plastic enclosure that I could turn into a waterproof handlebar mount/carrier for one of these rigs?

W3WN
12-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Well, like I asked... :twisted:

NM5TF
12-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Hmmm...low power mobile. Bicycle mobile. An antenna I can make, and I can use an LDG or similar auto-matcher for 20-10M operation.

But which radio to use?

I love my VX6 and 7R for outdoors duty as they're both submersible - not just water resistant. The problem, of course, is that none of the low-power HF multimode offerings ( specifically, the FT-817ND, Youkits and X108 ) are waterproof or have detachable heads.

Are any of you aware of a smallish, flip-front plastic enclosure that I could turn into a waterproof handlebar mount/carrier for one of these rigs?

you might want to talk to WA4DXP.....he has a FT-857D mounted on his "Radio Flyer" bicycle with a Hamstick or Hustler
antenna depending on freq.....don't know if he has enclosure or not.....he does have a great signal tho.....

his email is mdsmith@hiwaay.net