PDA

View Full Version : The Real Bedford Falls, NY

N2NH
12-10-2014, 05:55 PM
The town from Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life" that is. Bedford Falls was everytown, but it had to have become a germ of an idea before it became a movie. Was Seneca Falls the germ that started it all? They think so...

Capra never explained whether the make-believe town was inspired by one specific community or by a composite of wholesome small towns in the snowy northern United States. But that hasn’t stopped little Seneca Falls, in upper New York state — already famous as the cradle of the American women’s-rights movement — from asserting a claim as the film’s likely inspiration.

Frank Capra visited there a year before putting the film together. A barber, still living, remembers cutting his hair. And Capra likely came through Seneca Falls often on his frequent journeys to visit his aunt in the nearby larger city of Auburn, New York.
There’s a bridge in Seneca Falls that looks just like the one from which an angel in human form jumps to save the film’s hero, George Bailey. In fact, there’s an old plaque on that bridge — now called the “Bailey Bridge” — that Capra may have seen. It honors a young man who gave his life jumping into the canal below to save a woman who had leapt off the bridge in 1917.

There’s a house in town — check it out on the left — that is the spitting image, as my mother used to say, of the Bailey family home in the film. The train station looks just like Bedford Falls’s depot, too. There are also tombstones in Seneca Falls’s tiny cemetery carrying the names “Bailey” and “Martini” and “Partridge” — names that coincide with three prominent characters in “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

They have a very good case for being the "real" Bedford Falls...

The Real Bedford Falls (http://blogs.voanews.com/tedlandphairsamerica/2010/12/20/the-real-bedford-falls/)

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Might be. We can certainly rule out New River.

K0RGR
12-10-2014, 09:31 PM
There is some dispute in Minnesota where the real 'Frostbite Falls' is. International Falls may have some claim on it, because for decades, it held records for being the coldest place in the USA. That honor has now passed to the town of Embarrass, MN., some distance away. This story seems to state unequivocally that Frostbite Falls, is indeed, International Falls - http://www.minnesotafunfacts.com/minnesota-in-mass-media/television-shows/the-rocky-and-bullwinkle-show/

But what of Taylor's Falls, Little Falls, Cannon Falls, and countless other cities built near small waterfalls? When it's -30 in Embarrass, it's -27 in most of those other places. I"m sure the people who live there refer to their hometown as 'Frostbite Falls' at this time of year, too.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 09:40 PM
LOL, I was born near the Seneca Falls area. I don't know if I'm a Damn Yankee or a Fscking Southerner. But being born that far up, I think they're called Goddamn Yankees.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 09:45 PM
LOL, I was born near the Seneca Falls area. I don't know if I'm a Damn Yankee or a Fscking Southerner. But being born that far up, I think they're called Goddamn Yankees.

True, but in cases such as yourself a Yankee (according to Merriam-Webster, one who yanks) is the nice way of saying you are a wanker, and it doesn't matter where the hell you were born.

Just sayin........................

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 09:46 PM
That would make me a Yankor wouldn't it?

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
That would make me a Yankor wouldn't it?

By crackie, I think you're right. I stand erected.