PDA

View Full Version : WILLS

NA4BH
12-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Something you don't think about, but something everyone needs. We're going this week to put the final wording into ours, our last one was about 40 years ago. It needed some/a lot updating. Doing the Living Will too, no runs, no hits no heroics.

Have you got yours up to date? Do you have one? If not, don't wait for the State to decide about your property.

Oh yeah, gonna be buried in Eddies front yard so I can say hey when he goes to the mail box.

K7SGJ
12-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Something you don't think about, but something everyone needs. We're going this week to put the final wording into ours, our last one was about 40 years ago. It needed some/a lot updating. Doing the Living Will too, no runs, no hits no heroics.

Have you got yours up to date? Do you have one? If not, don't wait for the State to decide about your property.

Oh yeah, gonna be buried in Eddies front yard so I can say hey when he goes to the mail box.

We've had one for years, and update it as necessary.

My front yard? Perfect. Make sure you're buried face down. I need to replace the mail box and need a big hole to stuff the post in. :stickpoke:

NQ6U
12-09-2014, 10:41 AM
All I own is a couple of grand worth of used ham gear and a pickup truck that's almost old enough to buy itself a drink. If the state wants to fight the XYL over that, they're welcome to it. Everything else is in her name.

I do have an advance healthcare directive, however.

wa6mhz
12-09-2014, 11:08 AM
My sister was worried about me passing away (i am very elderly) so she sprang for a Living Trust. That was a real PITA to get done, with all the things that needed Notarizing in it. wasn't cheap either. Not sure if it says anything about the radios. Think they are still headed to the DUMPSTER including the FT5K!

KG4NEL
12-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Maybe in ten years...

VE7DCW
12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
We've had one for years, and update it as necessary.

My front yard? Perfect. Make sure you're buried face down. I need to replace the mail box and need a big hole to stuff the post in. :stickpoke:

Buried face down in a shallow grave....... now there's an honourable Arizona tradition for you! :lol:

KG4NEL
12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I do have an advance healthcare directive, however.

I have thought about this, though. I'm outdoors enough that if I get smushed by a logging truck, or slip off a cliff somewhere, I'd want someone to finish the job before I become a seven-figure liability. My folks are still alive, and of sound minds, but who knows...

Oh, and no unauthorized grandkids.

NQ6U
12-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I have thought about this, though. I'm outdoors enough that if I get smushed by a logging truck, or slip off a cliff somewhere, I'd want someone to finish the job before I become a seven-figure liability.

Yeah, my AHD is quite short: "Pull the freakin' plug!"

W2NAP
12-09-2014, 02:35 PM
don't have a will, I also don't really have any property. What very little I have would just end up in a trash can. and well I would be dead anyway so care I would not.

PA5COR
12-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Everything I have goes to my son, sorted.
Medical will made, sorted.

suddenseer
12-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Burn me up, put me in a bag, set me out on the curb with the other garbage.

W7XF
12-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Really don't want to think about that. But suffice to say, for sake of my sanity, I hope my mom goes first. If my stepdad goes first, my step brother has deep enough pockets to drown Mom and I in probate/shyster fees. And he will probably do it.

suddenseer
12-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Really don't want to think about that. But suffice to say, for sake of my sanity, I hope my mom goes first. If my stepdad goes first, my step brother has deep enough pockets to drown Mom and I in probate/shyster fees. And he will probably do it.This is a sad reality that most of us face. I taught jr. high kids Sunday School at a United Methodist church. The topic was death. One of the students asked me what happens after you die. I told her that your family/relatives/friends will show up, and fight each other over your stuff that was left behind.

W3WN
12-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Really don't want to think about that. But suffice to say, for sake of my sanity, I hope my mom goes first. If my stepdad goes first, my step brother has deep enough pockets to drown Mom and I in probate/shyster fees. And he will probably do it.
I know the feeling.

My mom's 85, so while we don't know how much time she has left, well, suffice to say that the end is in sight.

Regardless of her wishes -- or her will or what my father said in his will -- what will happen is that my sister will swoop in and confiscate everything. Not that there's really much, outside of some sentimental items.

The ironic thing is... well, Mom promised Little Miss Field Day some of her jewelry, but as I said, my sister will confiscate everything. When Mom's father died, her step-mother did the same thing -- confiscated everything, including items of her mother's (primarily jewelry) that were designated for Mom & my aunt. They never did get any of that stuff... and when the step-mother passed, everything disappeared into her family. History repeating itself.

suddenseer
12-10-2014, 09:49 AM
I know the feeling.

My mom's 85, so while we don't know how much time she has left, well, suffice to say that the end is in sight.

Regardless of her wishes -- or her will or what my father said in his will -- what will happen is that my sister will swoop in and confiscate everything. Not that there's really much, outside of some sentimental items.

The ironic thing is... well, Mom promised Little Miss Field Day some of her jewelry, but as I said, my sister will confiscate everything. When Mom's father died, her step-mother did the same thing -- confiscated everything, including items of her mother's (primarily jewelry) that were designated for Mom & my aunt. They never did get any of that stuff... and when the step-mother passed, everything disappeared into her family. History repeating itself.Same thing here. My Mom passed away last year. She had promised to leave her jewelry to my daughter, as much of it was left to her. It is now missing, probably scooped up by my sister, or her son. In any case, it more than likely ended up in a pawn shop.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 10:04 AM
I know the feeling.

The ironic thing is... well, Mom promised Little Miss Field Day some of her jewelry, but as I said, my sister will confiscate everything. When Mom's father died, her step-mother did the same thing -- confiscated everything, including items of her mother's (primarily jewelry) that were designated for Mom & my aunt. They never did get any of that stuff... and when the step-mother passed, everything disappeared into her family. History repeating itself.

This is really a sad thing. The same thing happened in our family. My wife's sister robbed all of the bank accounts of their mother when she passed. Took all the jewelry and everything of value and sold it. And, my brother did the exact same thing in our family. All my wife and I really wanted were a few mementos of things that were of sentimental value to remember our moms; items that when we looked at them would take us back to happier times when the family was together and having a good time. There are many other instances of greed over the years by our siblings, but we have accepted the fact that that is just the way it is.

The saddest part of all of this, is how the families have been fractured. My wife hasn't had any contact with her sister is several years, and I haven't seen or spoken with my brother in over 20 years. In addition to the above situations, there have been many other occasions that have further divided us from one another. I suppose we could try to mend the relationships, but unfortunately, there are no feelings left to build on, just an empty hollowness where love used to be. It's very sad indeed, especially at this time of the year.

WX7P
12-10-2014, 11:52 AM
This is really a sad thing. The same thing happened in our family. My wife's sister robbed all of the bank accounts of their mother when she passed. Took all the jewelry and everything of value and sold it. And, my brother did the exact same thing in our family. All my wife and I really wanted were a few mementos of things that were of sentimental value to remember our moms; items that when we looked at them would take us back to happier times when the family was together and having a good time. There are many other instances of greed over the years by our siblings, but we have accepted the fact that that is just the way it is.

The saddest part of all of this, is how the families have been fractured. My wife hasn't had any contact with her sister is several years, and I haven't seen or spoken with my brother in over 20 years. In addition to the above situations, there have been many other occasions that have further divided us from one another. I suppose we could try to mend the relationships, but unfortunately, there are no feelings left to build on, just an empty hollowness where love used to be. It's very sad indeed, especially at this time of the year.

Sorry to hear that, Eddie. That really sucks.

WX7P
12-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow, do we all have one of these stories?

When my grandfather died, my Dad's brother went in and sold all the power tools and anything of value (guy stuff). My grandmother was still alive and living in the house! My uncle kept the money from the sale of the items.

My cousin (my Dad's sister's kid who is my age) took control of my aunt's finances about 5 years before my aunt's death. She froze out my Dad form contact with his sister. My cousin sold the house in San Jose and moved my aunt into an apartment. My aunt mysteriously died shortly after that. My other cousin was left completely out of the will, which was worth about $600,000. Needless to say, my cousin Sara is dead to me now.

It's funny this thread came up now. When I recently visited my parents in California, my Dad was showing me the progress he had made in organizing all his family history stuff (50 years worth of research) in his library. I tripped over two boxes were in the way, and asked what they were. He cheerfully stated "those are our burial urns!" Nice. That lead to a discussion about their estate, something which we had never discussed before. They have a living trust set up with my brother and I the co-executors. They even added a successor clause which indicates if I pre-decease them, Sarah (not evil Sara) gets my proceeds from their estate. He's also itemized every thing of value so in case either my brother or I go full Uncle Jim (his brother) then there is a trail on who gets what and where the money goes. It appears we won't have any issues when they go. Fortunately, I don't foresee dealing with this for some time. My parents are both in great shape even into their 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them hit their mid 90's at least. Good for them.

NQ6U
12-10-2014, 12:13 PM
My parents have everything all tidied up as well and I expect no problems from my siblings. We may be a trio of weirdos and misfits, but we're not greedy.

The same cannot be said about my wife's family, however. When the M-I-L died last January, there was a kerfuffle over her meager estate. Less than $30K, and now none of them are talking to each other. Georgianna was the executor of the estate and I can't honestly say she handled the duties with grace and aplomb. In fact, I think she may have made things worse by her reaction to a perfectly legitimate inquiry by her siblings as to the amount and disposition of the estate.

Makes me glad my estate will be nothing worth fighting over.

KK4AMI
12-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Doesn't the sibling that took care of the parent sort of rank the highest in the inheritance heirarchy? I feel bad that my sister has to take care of my Dad in Florida, but she does have full power (medical and finacial) of attorney. In the same sort of way, my wife has assumed caretaker status over her 85 year old parents. I guess I don't have to worry about who gets what since we have no children. My goal is to kick that bucket with zero balance!

KG4NEL
12-10-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm an only child. I get it all.

And by all I mean a '91 F-150 and a tractor.

There's a very good possibility I'll be a homeowner before either of my folks will be again :shifty:

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 12:40 PM
If your sister has power of attorney on the financial side, she can clean out everything and not distribute it to the other survivors if she chooses. Unless the will states different. This is one thing we discussed this morning, only give that power to someone you deeply trust. The attorney told us about a lady that gave her son POA and he didn't know it until she died. When he found out, he took everything and told the other family members to fsck off. He walked away with over $300,000. You just know their Christmas cards are all warm and fuzzy.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 12:50 PM
One of the "Articles" in our will states:

In the event that my beloved spouse (insert name) should predecease me or in the event we both should die in a manner in which it is not clear which of us had died first, then, in that event, I give and bequeath all the rest and remainder of my entire estate to my children KID 1 and KID2 to be divided equally between them, one-half each PER STIRPES.

The last two words mean that if one of my children predecease us, that child's half goes to his/her children (not his/her spouse).

KK4AMI
12-10-2014, 12:55 PM

In the event that my beloved spouse (insert name) should predecease me or in the event we both should die in a manner in which it is not clear which of us had died first, then, in that event, I give and bequeath all the rest and remainder of my entire estate to my children KID 1 and KID2 to be divided equally between them, one-half each PER STIRPES.

The last two words mean that if one of my children predecease us, that child's half goes to his/her children (not his/her spouse).

I'm glad you explained that. For a second there my old eyes thought you gave birth to and raised STRIPPERS :lol:

W3WN
12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Doesn't the sibling that took care of the parent sort of rank the highest in the inheritance heirarchy? I feel bad that my sister has to take care of my Dad in Florida, but she does have full power (medical and finacial) of attorney. In the same sort of way, my wife has assumed caretaker status over her 85 year old parents. I guess I don't have to worry about who gets what since we have no children. My goal is to kick that bucket with zero balance!You might think that, but unless the will is written that way, most likely that is not the case.

My wife's grandfather was constantly looked after by my in-laws, who also helped maintain his rental properties and supervised his visiting nurses etc. They did it for nothing. When he passed, everything got split 5 ways between the siblings... not a dime extra for my in-laws to compensate them for all their hard work.

WX7P
12-10-2014, 01:01 PM

That's interesting.

My parents intentionally set theirs up the other way, ie, my half would go to Sarah, not my daughter.

It's no slam on their granddaughter, it's just way everyone in the family has done it in the past.

I suspect this won't be an issue.

KK4AMI
12-10-2014, 01:12 PM
You might think that, but unless the will is written that way, most likely that is not the case.

My wife's grandfather was constantly looked after by my in-laws, who also helped maintain his rental properties and supervised his visiting nurses etc. They did it for nothing. When he passed, everything got split 5 ways between the siblings... not a dime extra for my in-laws to compensate them for all their hard work.

I don't know what is in my Father's will, only my Sister does. My brother and I sort of made an agreement that our share of monies would go to her and our nephews. My brother is the one making out like a bandit. I think women usually insist on taking care of their own parents. My sister and brother-n-law are taking care of Dad, we get my wife's parents and my brother's inlaws are in Japan, so he gets away scott free.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 08:07 PM
After getting our wills done today, I can't remember a day that has been this relaxed and peaceful (the fscking ringing in my ears is gone). I know where my shit is going and those that receive it will appreciate it, take care of it, and use it. I could actually sit down during dinner and listen to my wife tell me how her day went. I am at peace with the world.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 08:12 PM
After getting our wills done today, I can't remember a day that has been this relaxed and peaceful (the fscking ringing in my ears is gone). I know where my shit is going and those that receive it will appreciate it, take care of it, and use it. I could actually sit down during dinner and listen to my wife tell me how her day went. I am at peace with the world.

Sooooooooo what are you leaving me? Money? Jewelry? Cars? House?

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Sooooooooo what are you leaving me? Money? Jewelry? Cars? House?

My coveted underwear collection.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
My coveted underwear collection.

Huh. When I read that, all I could think was Holy Shit. Isn't that appropriate?

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 08:24 PM
It's my underwear, not Carl's.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 08:26 PM
And speaking of which, WHERE'S THE TRAVELING ISLANDER DRAWERS? Who is the Richard Cranium that broke the chain?

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
And speaking of which, WHERE'S THE TRAVELING ISLANDER DRAWERS? Who is the Richard Cranium that broke the chain?

Beats me. I'm clean.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I wiped you off long ago.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I wiped you off long ago.

No shit.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 08:33 PM
I crap you negative.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I crap you negative.

And you said, just like Texas toilet paper, you didn't take shit off anyone.

W3WN
12-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Sooooooooo what are you leaving me? Money? Jewelry? Cars? House?Bupkis?

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Bupkis?

We have a winner. You get nothing and like it, nobody does. I'm taking it with me. I will become the next DX craze. SASE required.

K0RGR
12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
The XYL and I updated our wills recently. The wife has half ownership of a farm in Iowa. It's worth a pretty big bundle on paper, and that has caused problems, because it's likely to remain 'on paper' forever. But at some point there will something to inherit if Congress doesn't figure out a way to take it away first. And I'm not talking about death taxes - there was no 'death tax' when my inlaws died and left the family farm to my wife and her brother - on the high side of $1 million.

Anyway, we want to be sure that nothing weird happens if we go to the giant buffet in the sky and half the farm goes to our kids.

Otherwise, it is my stated intention to die as deeply in debt as humanly possible. I've been working on it all my life.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Bupkis?

That's probably closer to the truth than anyone wants to admit.

By the way, every time I see that word, it takes me back to an episode of Dick Van Dyke where he and an Army buddy named Sticks Mandalay, write a song call Bupkis, and another gutterwarp army guy tries to get the rights to it.

You had to be there.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 09:24 PM
We have a winner. You get nothing and like it, nobody does. I'm taking it with me. I will become the next DX craze. SASE required.

Bah. You'll end up making an ash of yourself.

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Our attorney told us in cases like this, and I forget the proper terminology, put the kids on the deed. When you are gone, the property is still in the hands of the rightful owners. The kids can do nothing with the land as long as you are still alive. Should a nursing home come into play the land is not on the table to bargain your cost of the care.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Our attorney told us in cases like this, and I forget the proper terminology, put the kids on the deed. When you are gone, the property is still in the hands of the rightful owners. The kids can do nothing with the land as long as you are still alive. Should a nursing home come into play the land is not on the table to bargain your cost of the care.

I believe the legal term for that is "putting the kids on the deed".

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 09:33 PM
I believe the legal term for that is "putting the kids on the deed".

I didn't want to get too technical with these Losers people.

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 09:40 PM
I didn't want to get too technical with these Losers people.

The only other law terms I know are Pro Bono which means they like Sonny and Cher, illegitimus non carbarundum which is self explanatory, and of course the ever popular "we charge 500 hundred dollars an hour with a two week minimum". Bastids

NA4BH
12-10-2014, 09:41 PM
illegitimus non carbarundum

Carbon credits?

W7XF
12-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Bushtit.

N7YA
12-10-2014, 11:47 PM

I feel partly responsible for that. I sent them off to someone who is no longer on the island, it seems. And when i asked, qsb came up and killed the qso...even though it was online.

I have no clue who has them now.

N7YA
12-11-2014, 12:45 AM
As for my stuff when i go...my son can have whatever he wants after Devie picks over it. The rest should go to those who will care for it.

But bury me with Lemon Pepper! Thats my deluxe Telecaster, i cant make beautiful, haunting sounds from beyond without an American Tele! Of course, i will need a Vox AC30 tube amp and a good wah pedal if you can fit that in there too...and no digging up my pine box to steal it or I'll hover over you gaddamn face every night until you put it back!

KK4AMI
12-11-2014, 06:56 AM
As for my stuff when i go...my son can have whatever he wants after Devie picks over it. The rest should go to those who will care for it.

But bury me with Lemon Pepper! Thats my deluxe Telecaster, i cant make beautiful, haunting sounds from beyond without an American Tele! Of course, i will need a Vox AC30 tube amp and a good wah pedal if you can fit that in there too...and no digging up my pine box to steal it or I'll hover over you gaddamn face every night until you put it back!

Don't forget access to electricity. You won't sound very haunting if all you can do is "plunk" and "tink" six foot under the dirt :lol:

w0aew
12-11-2014, 07:07 AM
To keep peace in the fambly, I ain't going.

N7YA
12-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Don't forget access to electricity. You won't sound very haunting if all you can do is "plunk" and "tink" six foot under the dirt :lol:

Just run an extension cord across the field and down to the box. Easy fix.

K7SGJ
12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Just run an extension cord across the field and down to the box. Easy fix.

Solar, man. Solar. And diesel backup.

NQ6U
12-11-2014, 10:33 AM
...and no digging up my pine box to steal it or I'll hover over you gaddamn face every night until you put it back!

This reminds me: If anyone plays Amazing Grace on a bagpipe at my funeral, I will come back and haunt him for the rest of his life.

KG4NEL
12-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Taxidermy.

N7YA
12-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Solar, man. Solar. And diesel backup.

NOW we're talking! That may also run a small rig and a coffee maker.

By the way, the Texas Pecan rocks...im drinking that right now.

N7YA
12-11-2014, 04:28 PM
This reminds me: If anyone plays Amazing Grace on a bagpipe at my funeral, I will come back and haunt him for the rest of his life.

I will request The Gates of Delirium off Tales From Topographic Oceans...on bagpipes. That would be nice (for me only).

NQ6U
12-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I will request The Gates of Delirium off Tales From Topographic Oceans...on bagpipes. That would be nice (for me only).

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, man. On accordion, with a banjo accompaniment.

KG4NEL
12-11-2014, 04:47 PM
http://boingboing.net/images/panflute-toothpaste-08.jpg

K7SGJ
12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
NOW we're talking! That may also run a small rig and a coffee maker.

By the way, the Texas Pecan rocks...im drinking that right now.

Yeah, I had a cup of that this morning, myself. I picked up some up some more on the way through Fredericksburg a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff.

NA4BH
12-11-2014, 06:51 PM
How big are the rocks?

K7SGJ
12-11-2014, 06:59 PM
How big are the rocks?

Bigger than a bread box.

NA4BH
12-11-2014, 07:05 PM
What kind of bread?

K7SGJ
12-11-2014, 07:10 PM
What kind of bread?

Why, rye, guy.

N7YA
12-11-2014, 08:36 PM
<----(waiting for something to rhyme with 'bushtit')

NA4BH
12-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Free Willy? That works, doesn't it?

WØTKX
12-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Eastern Wood Pewee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_wood_pewee)

http://www.larkwire.com/static/content/images/ipad/LBNA1/EasternWood-Pewee.jpg

w0aew
12-12-2014, 06:58 AM
<----(waiting for something to rhyme with 'bushtit')

Fahgehdaboutit!

n6hcm
12-19-2014, 05:03 PM
do you need a will to leave your house to your cats?

NA4BH
12-19-2014, 05:07 PM
It depends on how long it takes for them to find your body.

K7SGJ
12-19-2014, 06:53 PM
do you need a will to leave your house to your cats?

Sure. When I was younger, I went in a lot of cat houses.

NA4BH
12-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Sure. When I was younger, I went in a lot of cat houses.

You were whiskered out very quickly, so I'm told.

K7SGJ
12-19-2014, 07:41 PM
You were whiskered out very quickly, so I'm told.

Please don't litter the thread with catty, scratching posts.

suddenseer
12-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Please don't litter the thread with catty, scratching posts.Rats get eaten by pussy, or is it the other way around?

NA4BH
12-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Rats get eaten by pussy, or is it the other way around?

That is deep......................... and wide.

N7YA
12-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Easy guys, its getting a little fishy in here....meow where we're we?

W7XF
12-23-2014, 02:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twRkEBvnfI

Pantera's cover used cuz Nugent is a fucking douche nozzle.

N8XE
12-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Re: Wills

So my wife's family is going through some interesting things because of her father dying back in July. Now my wife's father was an asshole. He was a mean drunk so he was verbally abusive. In a fit of spite, he took my wife and her brother off of his life insurance. He left everything to his ex-wife (my wife's mother).

He didn't have much, but my mother-in-law, who is a sweet lady that plays the victim card way too much, is the sole recipient of everything. This includes an overpaid-for house that has no equity, a 50' camper in decent shape, and everything in the house (which includes an inch of sticky nicotine on everything as a bonus). My mother-in-law is pretty much not doing the appropriate things like getting the house ready to sell (which my wife and I offered numerous times to help). She is also a hoarder so nothing gets thrown away. So she just goes over there and kinda lives in the house without doing much.

So now the house is going into foreclosure and we are scrambling to get stuff out of the house. Most of the estate is going to be eaten away because the bank will be putting a claim on the estate. Oh yeah, she has yet to file the damn will.

It is a fscking mess all because the mother-in-law refuses to deal with it.

My wife and her brother probably won't be getting anything now.

Sigh...

Oh yea, my father-in-law was a dumbass and overpaid for a house on a 30 year mortgage two years ago. We all told him not to do it, but being the stubborn ass he was, he did it anyway. And thus put the burden on all of us.

Burn my ass up and toss me into a river. It is much easier on those who are alive. No need for a showing or funeral. Have a freakin party!!

Jason N8XE

W3WN
12-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Sorry to hear this Jason.

At this point, the only advise I can give you is to salvage whatever you can (or want) from the house, with your mother-in-law's blessing, of course (wink wink nudge nudge), and consider that the only inheritance your wife will get. By the time all is said & done. the bank will get the bulk of the assets or their value.