PDA

View Full Version : Mobile HF antenna?

kb2crk
12-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I am looking at putting HF in the RV. What would be the best type of antenna for this application. I was looking at some screwdriver antennas but not sure which of them are decent. I have used Hamsticks in the past and still have those but I would prefer 1 antenna instead of several just for HF.

KJ3N
12-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Well, High Sierra doesn't make them any more, so forget them. :(

I'd try the Tarheel or Scorpion antennas.

NQ6U
12-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Take a look at Hi-Q Antennas (http://www.hiqantennas.com/).

The web site sucks and you don't want to get into a political discussion with the owner but the antennas are very good—good enough that he sells them to the military.

WØTKX
12-07-2014, 06:43 PM
I have a Tarheel 400A that I got used, needed some work but it's noticeably better on lower frequencies than some of the shorties.

kb2crk
12-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I will look into some of these sugestions. I don't need a shorty as it will be mounted to the rear bumper of the RV. The fiberglass body should not interfere too much. Are the screwdrivers for 160 meters any good?

KG4NEL
12-09-2014, 10:32 AM
With a three-foot cap hat, probably usable :D

The old Texas Bugcatchers used to offer a 160 coil, IIRC - it was at least 6" (I know, I know, that's what she said) with turns that made it difficult to load on the higher bands.

I seem to remember W8JI doing NEC modeling on Top Band mobile antennas, but that was years ago.