PDA

View Full Version : Top 4

suddenseer
12-07-2014, 11:18 AM
After last night, if OSU is not in the selection committee's top 4, then there is no GAWD! OH.......IO!!!

KG4NEL
12-07-2014, 05:33 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4DwbnUbr--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/vteuz0q5aflaedee5wfr.jpg

Stay classy, Baylor students.

W3WN
12-08-2014, 10:28 AM
After last night, if OSU is not in the selection committee's top 4, then there is no GAWD! OH.......IO!!!Yawn.

The system is still corrupt. Time to do away with the Bowl Games and institute a real 16 team playoff system, just like every other NCAA football division has. But that would put an end to the corruption, and too many people are getting their pockets filled.

KG4NEL
12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Yawn.

The system is still corrupt. Time to do away with the Bowl Games and institute a real 16 team playoff system, just like every other NCAA football division has. But that would put an end to the corruption, and too many people are getting their pockets filled.

Wouldn't that just make more money for the NCAA through the hosting sites?

I never figured out the argument of how less games make them more money - if anything, I would think they'd be the ones championing 128 bowl games to be played from April to March. Unless it's a matter of control, but you'd think the branding iron fists would take care of that.

kd6nig
12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

I never figured out the argument of how less games make them more money - if anything, I would think they'd be the ones championing 128 bowl games to be played from April to March. Unless it's a matter of control, but you'd think the branding iron fists would take care of that.

Exactly, which is why you wonder what they are smoking and haven't done it!

W3WN
12-08-2014, 03:32 PM

The problem with most of the Bowl games is that they exist only to make money for the Bowl committee.

Especially with the smaller bowls, the schools are often required to buy, up front and at full ticket price, a minimum number of "guaranteed" tickets. Some of these are for the band, and for school officials/staff, and so forth. But most are to be sold to the students and alumni. Usually at less than cost to the school -- and if you really want to go to the game, you can probably buy cheaper tickets for better seats that the ones that the schools get stuck with.

So the "big payout" the schools appear to be getting is offset by travel expenses, hotel and meal expenses -- the bowls don't cover any of this -- and the unsold tickets. Many schools barely break even. And for what?

We won't even go into kickbacks, skimming off the top, and some of the other shenanigans that go on -- which have put people in jail.

Besides... aren't the schools supposed to be educating the athletes, not providing canon fodder for a tourist attraction?

suddenseer
12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
The problem with most of the Bowl games is that they exist only to make money for the Bowl committee.

Especially with the smaller bowls, the schools are often required to buy, up front and at full ticket price, a minimum number of "guaranteed" tickets. Some of these are for the band, and for school officials/staff, and so forth. But most are to be sold to the students and alumni. Usually at less than cost to the school -- and if you really want to go to the game, you can probably buy cheaper tickets for better seats that the ones that the schools get stuck with.

So the "big payout" the schools appear to be getting is offset by travel expenses, hotel and meal expenses -- the bowls don't cover any of this -- and the unsold tickets. Many schools barely break even. And for what?

We won't even go into kickbacks, skimming off the top, and some of the other shenanigans that go on -- which have put people in jail.

Besides... aren't the schools supposed to be educating the athletes, not providing canon fodder for a tourist attraction?I think it is time to start paying the student athletes who are the ones attracting all of the money. Maybe paying it into a blind trust fund that they cannot touch until they graduate. Not all of the guys I watched this weekend will be drafted into the NFL. I used to date a guy who played football for Penn State, he told me some stories of how corrupt the system is, but I can't stop watching it. I watched alot of football this weekend, I almost OD'ed.

KG4NEL
12-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Besides... aren't the schools supposed to be educating the athletes, not providing canon fodder for a tourist attraction?

My undergrad alma mater - Virginia Tech - had almost a half-mil loss a few years ago when they played Stanford and got thumped. Probably a similar loss for the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, which was the last BCS bowl they made it to (and likely will for a while, with a 6-6 team and hopeless recruiting).

Yet, there's a shiny practice facility on campus. Somebody's making the bet that the losses will be made up somehow on the funder's end. With how crappy the on-field product has been of late, I don't know how long that'll continue...

KG4NEL
12-09-2014, 10:25 AM
I think it is time to start paying the student athletes who are the ones attracting all of the money. Maybe paying it into a blind trust fund that they cannot touch until they graduate. Not all of the guys I watched this weekend will be drafted into the NFL. I used to date a guy who played football for Penn State, he told me some stories of how corrupt the system is, but I can't stop watching it. I watched alot of football this weekend, I almost OD'ed.

It's really the last bastion of (feigned) innocence. We gave up years ago that Olympians could be professionals...and somehow the world didn't end.

suddenseer
12-09-2014, 05:05 PM
The Alabama/OSU game will be a historic event in my family. My Dad is a loyal dyed scarlet & gray Buckeye fan. His lady friend (from Alabama) is, you guessed it. The verbal jabs have already begun. I also have to put up with Brown's/Steeler's/Bengals infighting at family events. I am just happy to see an Ohio team do well. When I worked in Cleveland, they where celebrating the news of Art Modell's death with bar & restaurant special prices. Sheesh, I am not that big of a fan of anything to engage in that kind of enthusiasm.

suddenseer
12-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I should add that I think that this years Heisman trophy went to the right man. I am not that dyed in the wool scarlet & gray fan to be stupid.

NQ6U
12-15-2014, 10:52 PM
I should add that I think that this years Heisman trophy went to the right man. I am not that dyed in the wool scarlet & gray fan to be stupid.

O.J. Simpson?

suddenseer
12-15-2014, 11:49 PM
O.J. Simpson?This year.

suddenseer
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Now there are 2......
The final four playoffs were a mixed bag. The 39 point blow out of Oregon over Florida State was boring to watch after the winner was painfully obvious. Watching the number 4 Ohio State Buckeyes win over the number 1 Alabama Crimson Tide machine was a different experience. The Buckeyes came from behind 14-6 in the first quarter to dominate. What makes their last 2 games interesting is the fact they have to use their 3rd string quarterback, Cardale Jones. He was not perfect, got sacked, and threw away some good opportunities. He also ran in a touchdown. By the second half, he seemed to be going with the flow, and was in better control. I hope they can keep up the momentum for the BIG FINAL with Oregon!

K0RGR
01-08-2015, 05:36 PM
The interesting thing to me is that without the playoff, we'd likely be looking at FSU and Alabama in the "national championship" game. So, regardless of who wins, justice has been done.