PDA

View Full Version : My Every Morning Companion

WX7P
12-01-2014, 09:53 AM
This is Bhutan Fang (aka Boo).

He flops in front of my computer every day after his morning (attempted) killfest. No small rodent is safe.

I think Boo feels safe from FA the pest kitty who always torments him.

Boo is probably 2 times as big as his little Siamese buddy. He could kill the little guy if he wanted to, but is a mellow soul.

N2CHX
12-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Cute!

PA5COR
12-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Nice kitty...
I have a semi permanent growth on my upper legs when I sit here, called Mitzi the Maine Coon, I could put her on the floor, but within 1 minute she sneakily finds her spot again, getting a.s.a.p. in coma again...
Well, have to cook dinner in 30 minutes so she has to find her own spot in front of the hearth again.

K7SGJ
12-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Cool cat. If he needs full time employment as a mouser, (or larger vermin) send him down. In the last month, the little bastids have chewed up the brand new garage door bottom seal I just put on, the windshield washer fluid hoses in the truck, (4 times, but I finally got those little fuckers) built a city under the 3000 gallon water tank causing it to list like the leaning tower of Pisa, and numerous other things. A few years back the tank was so bad, a 2 inch galvanized pipe going to it broke due to the stress of the uneven weight on it. When I replace it, I'm going to bury the lower half of the tank, problem solved. We now have the annual desert squirrel "built a nest under the house" marathon going on. They dig out the ABC base, as well as the dirt under the slab. I have six live traps I put out, and there is always something in most of them. Hell, I even caught a cactus wren the other day. Who Gnu?

WX7P
12-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Cool cat. If he needs full time employment as a mouser, (or larger vermin) send him down. In the last month, the little bastids have chewed up the brand new garage door bottom seal I just put on, the windshield washer fluid hoses in the truck, (4 times, but I finally got those little fuckers) built a city under the 3000 gallon water tank causing it to list like the leaning tower of Pisa, and numerous other things. A few years back the tank was so bad, a 2 inch galvanized pipe going to it broke due to the stress of the uneven weight on it. When I replace it, I'm going to bury the lower half of the tank, problem solved. We now have the annual desert squirrel "built a nest under the house" marathon going on. They dig out the ABC base, as well as the dirt under the slab. I have six live traps I put out, and there is always something in most of them. Hell, I even caught a cactus wren the other day. Who Gnu?

You need a couple of Killbots.

In Tulelake, we adopted two feral kittens AFTER their mother trained them in the art of murder.

The vole problem we had disappeared within weeks. The only downside was one of them decided it was great fun to catch birds and release them in the house. She had a great time torturing the bird until it was time to administer the coup d'grace. Our siamese has done that here twice. The Boo at least has the common courtesy to keep his kills outside.

K7SGJ
12-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't know how well they would get along with our dogs, or more importantly, the coyotes and bobcats. Feral cats out here are pretty much nonexistent. The dogs are worthless for anything other than killing off the rabbits around here, and they are one thing we like having around. I have found a lot of coyote scat around the hen house in the last few weeks, so their usual diet must be getting tough to scrounge up, or they are just looking for an easy score. From all the signs on the side of the roads around here, a lot of dogs and cats have gone missing lately.

KK4AMI
12-01-2014, 10:51 AM
"If he needs full time employment as a mouser, (or larger vermin) send him down. In the last month, the little bastids have chewed up the brand new garage door bottom seal I just put on"

Same problem here. I solved it temporarily by leaving the door up about an inch off the floor. I'm too cheap to get 'em all a garage door opener. My Dad said clear the garage floor and hope they leave after not finding suitable quarters.

K7SGJ
12-01-2014, 10:56 AM
"If he needs full time employment as a mouser, (or larger vermin) send him down. In the last month, the little bastids have chewed up the brand new garage door bottom seal I just put on"

Same problem here. I solved it temporarily by leaving the door up about an inch off the floor. I'm too cheap to get 'em all a garage door opener. My Dad said clear the garage floor and hope they leave after not finding suitable quarters.

They seek the warmth and comfort under all the storage cabinets. I found a product I will use when I replace it again. At $7.00/ft, it's pricy for a 16 foot door, but cheaper than changing it out all the time. It might work for you, too.

http://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/xcroblgadose.html

WX7P
12-01-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't know how well they would get along with our dogs, or more importantly, the coyotes and bobcats. Feral cats out here are pretty much nonexistent. The dogs are worthless for anything other than killing off the rabbits around here, and they are one thing we like having around. I have found a lot of coyote scat around the hen house in the last few weeks, so their usual diet must be getting tough to scrounge up, or they are just looking for an easy score. From all the signs on the side of the roads around here, a lot of dogs and cats have gone missing lately.

Yep, forgot about the coyote/bobcat angle. The only large predators we had in Tule were eagles, and they only came around in the winter.

KK4AMI
12-01-2014, 11:05 AM
They seek the warmth and comfort under all the storage cabinets. I found a product I will use when I replace it again. At $7.00/ft, it's pricy for a 16 foot door, but cheaper than changing it out all the time. It might work for you, too.

http://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/xcroblgadose.html

It looks like soft rubber and felt. Both of which I have used and neither seems to slow down those rodent teeth. I wonder how it works?
The wife suggested that I train our resident 5 ft black snake to be a garage door seal. :lol:

K7SGJ
12-01-2014, 01:54 PM
It looks like soft rubber and felt. Both of which I have used and neither seems to slow down those rodent teeth. I wonder how it works?
The wife suggested that I train our resident 5 ft black snake to be a garage door seal. :lol:

Actually, it's not felt. It's a steel wool-like material that is supposed to make it harder to get through, and poke their cute and delicate little palates, thus deterring them. The bastids. The reviews I've read seem to indicate it works, but the rodents out here file their teeth with my flat bastards. (And round MFers, too)

KK4AMI
12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Actually, it's not felt. It's a steel wool-like material that is supposed to make it harder to get through, and poke their cute and delicate little palates, thus deterring them. The bastids. The reviews I've read seem to indicate it works, but the rodents out here file their teeth with my flat bastards. (And round MFers, too)

Genius! I have a "totally tubular" garage door seal now. I'll just stuff it with steel wool!

XE1/N5AL
12-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I have another house about 125 miles due west of here, where there is no shortage of feral cats in the neighborhood. They disappear during the day; but at night, they are everywhere! Every street lamp will have at least one cat wandering in the shadow. It's very rare to see dogs roaming in the streets. The neighborhood is surrounded by jungle (the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, "Predator", was filmed about five miles down the road) so there's no shortage of rats, snakes and iguanas for the cats to eat.

NA4BH
12-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Seems like I saw on on of those COMMY PBS shows one time, that you can take human hair that is cut into very tiny pieces and sprinkle it around the entrance of their homes. When they enter or exit the hair sticks to their fur and works its way down to their skin and causes them a shitload of anguish due to the itching it causes. Go talk to your barber and get his floor sweepings, it's worth a try.

KG4CGC
12-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Trinny, the hunter. She lives here. She loves me. She's also a trillbot. If I tell her to give me a kiss, she does.
She's moved on from baby birds to mice under the stove. She has a way of drawing them out.

This picture is over a year old.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/photobucket-2292-1387078561195_zps03e9696f.jpg

KG4CGC
12-01-2014, 10:34 PM
BTW, beautiful critter, Janet.

N7YA
12-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Bhutan Fang is a badass name.

wa6mhz
12-04-2014, 10:40 AM
My girls think it is GREAT FUN to wait till late at night when I am sound asleep and pounce on my feet, CLAWS OUT and perforate my toes!!! WHAT a way to wake up!!!

wb7oxp
12-08-2014, 03:31 PM
fwiw,

i have had spectacular luck (hopefully, no rodentia will report this to their homies), with moth balls all over. we have a garage that is lightly trafficked, and the moth balls have kept us mostly critter free for years.

yes, everything does smell like old aunts and grammas

K7SGJ
12-08-2014, 09:54 PM
fwiw,

i have had spectacular luck (hopefully, no rodentia will report this to their homies), with moth balls all over. we have a garage that is lightly trafficked, and the moth balls have kept us mostly critter free for years.

yes, everything does smell like old aunts and grammas

Heh heh heh, he said balls. :bbh:

w2amr
12-10-2014, 06:22 AM
I have a cat door on the garage, so that Dennis can go in and out while we are working. When I come home it's not unusual to find disassembled birds in the garage.

WX7P
12-10-2014, 12:12 PM
I have a cat door on the garage, so that Dennis can go in and out while we are working. When I come home it's not unusual to find disassembled birds in the garage.

I feel your pain, George.

FA the Siamese, brings them in through the cat door LIVE.

n6hcm
12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
FA the Siamese, brings them in through the cat door LIVE.

well, they're no fun otherwise.

kb2vxa
12-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Disassembled birds, interesting. I wonder what Dennis thinks about you raiding his parts department delaying his plan to construct a Kitty Hawk Flyer. If you start finding disassembled Red Baron pizza boxes watch out!

K7SGJ
12-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Seems to me, that bird disassembly is job one for most cats.