PDA

View Full Version : Gray Line Propagation

koØm
11-22-2014, 01:44 AM
I worked Alaska, Asian Russia, and Japan this morning using JT9; last time I talked to Alaska and Russia was back in 1979 on a four element beam, a Varmit 150XL and, a Lafayette Comstat 25 base station. I was giddy then and, I was giddy this morning.

It took a lot of work to get those contacts, they were on 10 meters and, they happened as the distant stations were in the "gray Line" around their sunset. The reason I say it took a lot of work is because every computer or laptop in the radio room was affected by my antenna installation; my operating position is directly under one leg of my dipole and, the other leg runs parallel to to the majority of my home electronics. Every time I turn up over 5 watts on 10 meters, the computer locks up.

So, I decided to load JT-65 and JT-9 on my MacBook Pro; it was a hard install, the README instructions didn't work for me, I had to manually do a bunch of "sudo and -w" commands in the Terminal of the notebook to reallocate memory so that the program would work. Program works but, my CAT does not work so, I have to manually change bands <gasp>!

The Mac is impervious to RF! I cranked the watts up to max and, the MBP never slowed down or missed a beat when I typed, I no longer had the issue and, could put enough watts out there to be heard.

It's 1:45 A.M. EST, good time to catch northern Asia.

N8YX
11-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Great catch, Mel. I felt the same way when I worked a VK5 on 10M CW - 5w output - in '81. That earned me bragging rights in our high school's amateur radio club. :yes:

NQ6U
11-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Funny how propagation differs so much depending on your QTH. I've got so many QSOs from Japan and Asiatc Russia on 10m that I don't even bother with them any more. Alaska is a bit more rare since there are so few hams there but I've still got plenty from there.

Meanwhile, I covet all those European QSOs you easterners rack up so easily.

K7SGJ
11-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Funny how propagation differs so much depending on your QTH. I've got so many QSOs from Japan and Asiatc Russia on 10m that I don't even bother with them any more. Alaska is a bit more rare since there are so few hams there but I've still got plenty from there.

And the 7s, don't forget the 7s.

KG4NEL
11-22-2014, 03:01 PM

Furreal. I saw the SH5 stats from the CQWW effort I was a part of, over 60% of the QSOs were Europe. And that includes those crazy 250+/hr JA runs on 10 and 15.

Something to be said for fixed antennas, at least for contesting.

koØm
11-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Time of day matters, to try to get Western Asia I have to start early in the morning, like 7:00 am, Eastern Europe is active until late afternoon here (dark over there). After about 5:00 pm I work on my W.A.S (work any state) I can.

My prized contacts from Eastern Europe: Switzerland, Greece, The Canary Islands, The Azores and Ireland