PDA

View Full Version : Fedora + Thunderbird

n2ize
11-19-2014, 04:51 PM
For years I have been using Evolution as my standard email client on Fedora Linux + KDE Desktop. For years it served me well but lately I have noticed it was getting quirky. The latest issue was regarding sending emails with attachments. For some crazy reason that I still can't figure out it won't send emails with attachments. It was working fine up to a few weeks ago but something must have gotten broken in a recent update.

So today I installed Mozilla Thunderbird and transferred all my email accounts to Thunderbird. So far so good. setting it up was easy and intuitive, it handles attachments just fine and is much faster than Evolution. So it looks like I will be sticking with Thunderbird from this point onward.

I used to like Evolution but over time it seems to have been developing more and more glitches and quirks. I am wondering if Evolution is simply getting too overbloated I might still try and troubleshoot Evolution to figure out why it is giving me problems with attachments. But so far Thunderbird seems faster, more streamlined and robust.

W2NAP
11-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I use claws mail w/ fedora and like it.

NQ6U
11-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Real men use Pine.

KJ3N
11-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Real old men use Pine.

Fixed. :-P

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Pine Sol?

n2ize
11-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Real men use Pine.

Actually I still use Pine on certain older systems here, mainly to gather system messages on servers. Quite a while back it was my primary email client. It is still available on many Unix distros but it's called "Alpine" these days. It's light, fast, efficient, very configurable, flexible, and can be run from any Unix or Linux terminal.

Real old timers use elm, emacs, or the standard unix "mail" command. Or better yet, if you are a real tough guy just telnet in to the mail server and enter the commands manually. Actually I sometimes do the latter method when I am troubleshooting email servers.

n2ize
11-19-2014, 11:29 PM
I use claws mail w/ fedora and like it.

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a look. From what I have read about it so far it's very extendable and quite robust.

W2NAP
11-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Sounds interesting. I'll give it a look. From what I have read about it so far it's very extendable and quite robust.

been using it long time now. its got the notification plugin, and you can set it to auto check mail every x minutes. new mail it alerts

n6hcm
11-20-2014, 04:33 AM
But so far Thunderbird seems faster, more streamlined and robust.

while thunderbird has its issues, it also has sufficient critical mass that getting issues sorted out isn't a problem ... also, decent extensibility with plugins, more configuration options than god, ...

n6hcm
11-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Real men use Pine.

Pine actually has its uses, just like lynx. If you suspect the contents of your inbox (that there might be a virus or worm in a message) pine is good ... just like lynx is good for browsing suspect websites (no java, no javascript, ...)