PDA

View Full Version : Passwords

W3WN
11-19-2014, 01:54 PM
So, we're in the process of rolling out new CPU's at work. (Moving from Del Optiplex 760's to Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P's, and also from Windows Vista to Windows Ecch, er, 8.1 )

One of our users had her CPU replaced yesterday. She called the Help Desk this morning because she couldn't remember her password, and her account was locked. (Someone had tried to help her earlier, but she cut it short because she had a lunch meeting with a client.). So now it was my turn.

Unlocked her account in Active Directory. Didn't work.
Had her check her keyboard for CapsLock or NumLock. Nope.
Changed her password to something easy. Still no go.
I even went to my ultimate temp password, the one reserved for very special people. Anyone who knows Spaceballs knows what this is.(*)

Nada.

So, I have to make a trip up to her office... just as the person who was trying to help her earlier returns from a meeting, and he heads up to see her.

He's back 10 minutes later. Laughing.

Anyone want to guess what the problem was? Hint: It actually wasn't her password.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ...

... the machine was displaying the special log-in to set up account that we use. Not her user ID.

She never noticed. Even after we ASKED her if she had entered her login ID. She just assumed that it was the right one... because who else logs into her machine? (Probably true, after she starts using it... but the day she gets her new box, that's a heck of an assumption! )

* sigh *

(*)No, not quite, President Skroob Wannabe. :mrgreen: But you're on the right track.

Luggage.12345

And she has to change it after she logs in the first time.

KJ3N
11-19-2014, 04:59 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mv13SeCjL._UX385_.jpg