PDA

View Full Version : One Is The Loneliest Number... Twice.

W3WN
11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Worked a Kentucky station on 20 SSB during Sweepstakes, and he's already confirmed on Logbook of the World.

Leaves my WAS total on 20 Meters as... 49. Just need one state to go: Delaware.

Meanwhile, the W1AW/7 WA operation a couple of weeks ago just uploaded to LotW, which now leaves me with one state to go on 30 Meters: Utah. Unfortunately, I managed to miss both of the W1AW/7 UT ops on 30, just bad timing, so I don't yet how I'm going to get that one worked.

15 & 10 need some work. 35 worked & confirmed on 15 meters; 39 w&c on 10 meters. So I'll be keeping my ears open during the 10 Meter Contest next month. Everything I need on both bands is relatively close to me, so neither will be easy. But with a little luck...

KJ3N
11-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Leaves my WAS total on 20 Meters as... 49. Just need one state to go: Delaware.

And whose fault is that? :chin:

I told you to let me know where and when. Never saw a thing from you posted here.

N8YX
11-18-2014, 11:58 AM

The MMSN, of course. They're the root of all that's evil...at least on 20M.

Or is it Winlink?

I get this stuff so confused...

W3WN
11-18-2014, 12:05 PM

I told you to let me know where and when. Never saw a thing from you posted here.Whoa, hold your horses here Jim.

I wanted to give Sweepstakes a shot first, before troubling you.

No disrespect intended.

I also had some other things going on this weekend that took precedence... I was lucky to get a few hours in for SS on Sunday, once things settled down in the house. So I couldn't very well make a sked that I might not be able to keep.

Besides... do you do LotW? You're not on the HB9BZA list. Not that I mind exchanging cards, not at all... but with 49/50 already confirmed on LotW, getting DE on 20 confirmed there makes handling the app a whole lot easier.

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
The MMSN, of course. They're the root of all that's evil...at least on 20M.

Or is it Winlink?

I get this stuff so confused...

The reincarnation of Chuckles? :stickpoke:

KJ3N
11-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Whoa, hold your horses here Jim.

I wanted to give Sweepstakes a shot first, before troubling you.

No disrespect intended.

Jeebus... you yank a guy's chain and he goes to pieces... :-P

Besides... do you do LotW? You're not on the HB9BZA list. Not that I mind exchanging cards, not at all... but with 49/50 already confirmed on LotW, getting DE on 20 confirmed there makes handling the app a whole lot easier.

No, I don't. You want it all, eh? Picky bastid..... :neener:

W2NAP
11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
another thing for DE you can do is wait for the DE QSO party in Feb (i think it is in feb)

ad4mg
11-18-2014, 06:36 PM
another thing for DE you can do is wait for the DE QSO party in Feb (i think it is in feb)

I wonder if all 3 DE hams will participate? :lol:

W2NAP
11-18-2014, 06:52 PM

couple years back I worked a few of the DE guys on 20m I got all 3 counties!

W3WN
11-18-2014, 07:46 PM
I wonder if all 3 DE hams will participate? :lol:Be kind of hard, since N3ME became a Silent Key last summer, and WW3DE/ex N1RL moved back North to became WW1ME.

I think we're left with AA1K, KJ3N and N3DXX.

And Jim's obviously mad at me. Oh, Doctor, this could be a lot harder than I first thought...

KJ3N
11-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Be kind of hard, since N3ME became a Silent Key last summer, and WW3DE/ex N1RL moved back North to became WW1ME.

I think we're left with AA1K, KJ3N and N3DXX.

I don't remember seeing either AA1K, or N3DXX, in any of the more recent results for the DE QSO Party.

And Jim's obviously mad at me.

Don't know where you get that idea. :dunno:

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Why don't you both get on the air and talk it over? That could resolve a multitude of issues. :clap:

KG4NEL
11-18-2014, 09:02 PM
couple years back I worked a few of the DE guys on 20m I got all 3 counties!

Oddly enough, I've worked DE pretty much every time I've entered Sweeps, NAQP, CQ WPX, Field Day, etc - but I don't think I've ever worked a ham in DC. I know with the combined section it makes it harder to tell, but there was a time I was QSLing everybody and I don't think I sent one to the District.

KJ3N
11-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Why don't you both get on the air and talk it over? That could resolve a multitude of issues. :clap:

As soon as Ron tells me where and when.

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 09:55 AM
The churchyard, harpoons, at dawn.

W3WN
11-19-2014, 10:10 AM
The churchyard, harpoons, at dawn.Harpoons?

Church yard?

That wouldn't be kosher.

W3WN
12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Hah!

Finally!

Came home an hour early for the furnace guys (they're due in about 10 minutes as I type this, assuming that they're here on time... don't take that bet... ), had a few minutes, tuned around. Worked one of the Russian Robinson guys on 10 SSB, heard W1AW/3 DE come in on 15 nice and clear... and then I saw the spot. The spot I've been waiting all week for.

14031 W1AW/3 DE

Took about 20 minutes, although only about 5 when the op started working up the band (starting at about .9 kHz up, moving up frequency after each QSO). But I GOT HIM.

And just in time. He went QRT, at least for the moment, as I type this.

20 Meter WAS is done. That's 3 bands down, 10 & 15 to go, for the classic 5BWAS. (Plus UT needed for 30 M, AK & NV needed for 160, and quite a few to go on 17 & 12)

*phew* Now I just have to wait for the LotW upload to confirm it. Be a few days.

W3WN
12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
As soon as Ron tells me where and when.We are going to have to try again. Now we know mid-to-late afternoon works, at least some of the time.

KG4NEL
12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Sean_connery_raction.gif

http://guycodeblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/fistpump.gif

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/121/8/d/fuck_yea_png_by_tglitterandvintage-d4y6i7m.png

KJ3N
12-02-2014, 05:29 PM
We are going to have to try again. Now we know mid-to-late afternoon works, at least some of the time.

Whatever.

I'm watching the spots for W1AW/3 and it just amazes me all the desperation I see.

N5DRB W1AW/3 21000 [LoTW] RTTY 10,12,15,17,20,40 PLEASE
K2TV W1AW/3 14031 [LoTW] QRT? NEED RTTY ON 80 OR 40
JE8LWZ W1AW/3 21000 [LoTW] Banned RTTY in DE?
W6SAN W1AW/3 14090 [LoTW] 2 hrs to go - 20 mtr RTTY ??

All this fuss? Really? :wtf:

I bet I could get on RTTY tomorrow and CQ my brains out before 2 people show up that "need" Delaware. :roll:

W3WN
12-02-2014, 06:40 PM
< snip >
I'm watching the spots for W1AW/3 and it just amazes me all the desperation I see.

All this fuss? Really? :wtf:

I bet I could get on RTTY tomorrow and CQ my brains out before 2 people show up that "need" Delaware. :roll:Yup. I see those spots too.

Part of it is that W1AW/3 DE, for reasons unknown, hasn't had a huge presence this week. Some of the stations seem to be on 3 or 4 bands X 2 or 3 modes, at the same time, for the entire week. Others seem like they're only on if someone volunteered for a slot & feels like showing up for it. Why? Who knows.

So the effect is that the guys chasing the stations -- be it for WAS, for Centennial, for fun, or because they have nothing better to do -- whatever -- start getting desperate. Especially in the last couple of hours, Tuesday afternoon (Eastern) before the next set of stations takes over at 0000 Z Wednesday.

Don't worry. A few more weeks, it will all be over.

I am a touch disappointed, though. Not word one locally about whether or not W1AW/3 PA part deux, which will be on during the very last scheduled week, needs additional operators. I'd love to give it a shot, and I've asked around. Nobody knows nuttin'. It appears that K3LR, who is scheduled to host this last op, isn't looking for anyone else. Oh, well. It might have been fun.

wa6mhz
12-02-2014, 06:48 PM
I am pacing the floor for their upload too!! The moment they do, I can put in for my TRIPLE PLAY WAS!!!

KJ3N
12-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Perhaps you could explain to me just how the "host" thing works? N8NA, who is only about 3-4 air miles from me was the host for both weeks. Is he just a coordinator?

W3WN
12-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Perhaps you could explain to me just how the "host" think works? N8NA, who is only about 3-4 air miles from me was the host for both weeks. Is he just a coordinator?Maybe "host" isn't the proper term; "coordinator" does make more sense.

My understanding is... and Pat, you probably can answer this one firsthand... the coordinator for a given state in a given week is responsible for recruiting the operators from his state, or part of the state. Not everyone does it the same. Some cases, the coordinator arranges for a club station or stations... or his own station... to "be" W1AW/x for a day or more, and all ops gather there. Other coordinators schedule an op for a time slot on a given band or mode, for a period of time (I've seen 1 hour to 4 hours per slot), and then someone else takes over from a different part of the state.

The coordinator(s) for each state are some of the top DX'ers or contesters in the US. Many if not most of these guys already have a top-notch station available.

Anyway, one of the last tasks the coordinator(s) get charged with is gathering the logs, especially if the operating was distributed, after the week is over, and making the arrangements for the Logbook of the World upload.

KJ3N
12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Maybe "host" isn't the proper term; "coordinator" does make more sense.

My understanding is... and Pat, you probably can answer this one firsthand... the coordinator for a given state in a given week is responsible for recruiting the operators from his state, or part of the state. Not everyone does it the same. Some cases, the coordinator arranges for a club station or stations... or his own station... to "be" W1AW/x for a day or more, and all ops gather there. Other coordinators schedule an op for a time slot on a given band or mode, for a period of time (I've seen 1 hour to 4 hours per slot), and then someone else takes over from a different part of the state.

The coordinator(s) for each state are some of the top DX'ers or contesters in the US. Many if not most of these guys already have a top-notch station available.

Anyway, one of the last tasks the coordinator(s) get charged with is gathering the logs, especially if the operating was distributed, after the week is over, and making the arrangements for the Logbook of the World upload.

So basically, it sounds like little guys like me aren't invited to the party. Especially if you're A) not a big gun contester and B) not an ARRL member.

At least that's how I see it. Maybe I'm wrong.

NQ6U
12-02-2014, 07:08 PM
So basically, it sounds like little guys like me aren't invited to the party. Especially if you're A) not a big gun contester and B) not an ARRL member.

Considering your disdain for the ARRL, would you want to associate yourself with them even if you had the opportunity?

KJ3N
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Considering your disdain for the ARRL, would you want to associate yourself with them even if you had the opportunity?

Not necessarily, but I could have been persuaded to help out if they were short of operators, as long as I could have done it from home. It doesn't sound like that was ever part of the plan. It sounds like I would have had to haul my ass down state, and that's not something I'm willing to do.

W3WN
12-02-2014, 09:55 PM

At least that's how I see it. Maybe I'm wrong.Ummm, no, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that some of the Coordinators haven't been as willing to open their portion of the event to anyone interested as others. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're an ARRL member.

In the case of W1AW/3 PA #2, I'm specifically saying that if K3LR has any openings available, I haven't heard word one about it. So I don't know who the ops for it will be, or how he's setting his part of the op up.

This isn't an ARRL decision. They picked specific people -- no, I don't know who picked them or what the criteria was -- gave them general guidelines, and then let them run with it as they pleased.

And frankly Jim, in your case, as of just under 3 hours ago as I type this, it's a moot point. W1AW/3 DE is done for the year.

KG4NEL
12-02-2014, 10:45 PM

The W1AW/4 operation in NC was a PVRC operation. I'd bet it was the same up there, as you guys are closer to the "home base" of PVRC.

I don't know what the tie-in to the League was.

KJ3N
12-02-2014, 10:45 PM
And frankly Jim, in your case, as of just under 3 hours ago as I type this, it's a moot point. W1AW/3 DE is done for the year.

Oh, yeah, it's all moot now. Not something anyone will have to worry about again. ;)

It just seems that I've seen a good number of complaints about the second week of DE operations not being sufficient, or being quite sparse. I don't know if there was this level of complaining for the first week or not, since that happened way back in January. I wasn't paying any attention to the whole event back then.

As a side note, with all the hand wrenching that goes on about Delaware not being on the air, you'd think I could have drummed up enough activity during the DE QSO Party back in February. Quite the opposite, at least from my perspective. I couldn't generate a run no matter how much I called, or what band I tried. I didn't even bother to submit my log because it was too depressing.

Here's what I had written as my comments on the 2014 event, but never sent them in:

Disappointing results this year. Nothing like I remembered from 2010. 10m and 15m were a big letdown. 20m was barely adequate and 80m was also disappointing. Runs of stations usually numbered less than 10 at a time, followed by long lengths of calling and calling with no results. 40m was the only band that even came close to producing a reasonable level of QSOs. Since I couldn't seem to generate much of a run on any band I tried, I gave up at 15:32z on day 2 with a paltry 274 QSOs, all phone. The only bright spot for the entire contest was WH7DX on 80m phone. Maybe we need another snow storm like in 2010?

So, when I see or hear complaints about DE not being on the bands, I have little sympathy. The QSO Party is the same time every year; the first full weekend in February. Either show up and work the 6-12 DE stations that take the time to get on, or Quit Yer Bitchin'.

W3WN
12-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Well, I haven't had much enthusiasm for ANY state QSO party in recent years, so I'm not singling DE out. But I will make a point to look for you guys in 2015.

Yes, there was some cluster griping (when is there not?) about W1AW/3 DE #2 not being as active as the #1 op was. I definitely noticed that they just weren't on as much as some of the other state ops have been. (Not the first time this has happened this year). The most activity I noted was during the CQ WW CW, and there was a lot of griping that the op(s) running in the contest were (allegedly) deliberately NOT working US stations.

Anyway, this happens when you have a special event station staffed with volunteers, especially if & when the operators are distributed. Some don't show up. Some chicken out. Some get overwhelmed and give up. Some get torqued off at the jammers and QRT. (I think that's what happened to the 20 CW op a few minutes after I worked him. Once some wretch started up with carriers on top of the guys calling W1AW/3, the station just disappeared.) Or something else comes up that's more important and they have to abandon operating.

Too many of those kvetching forget all this, and forget that the stations don't exist merely to work THEM when THEY want.

You can't please everyone.

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 09:24 AM
You can't please everyone.

So you got to please yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHR7_VZdRw

wa6mhz
12-03-2014, 10:23 AM
This time W1AW/3 was noticable absent from RTTY. I saw a couple of posts showing them supposedly on PSK31, but when I went there they were long gone. They were verry active on CW & SSB but digital really hurt. But I am happy I now have DE confirmed on LOTW on RTTY so no problems from here at this time. But if any one were to fire up on RTTY from there, the pileup would be incredible!
Congrats Ron on the CW 20M QSO!

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 10:58 AM
This time W1AW/3 was noticable absent from RTTY. I saw a couple of posts showing them supposedly on PSK31, but when I went there they were long gone. They were verry active on CW & SSB but digital really hurt. But I am happy I now have DE confirmed on LOTW on RTTY so no problems from here at this time. But if any one were to fire up on RTTY from there, the pileup would be incredible!

Bullshit. I bet I can prove that theory wrong today. I could get on RTTY right now and call my brains out. I doubt anyone would notice.

wa6mhz
12-03-2014, 11:25 AM
maybe on 10GHZ into a dummy load

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Bullshit. I bet I can prove that theory wrong today. I could get on RTTY right now and call my brains out. I doubt anyone would notice.

So far:

Twenty minutes calling CQ on 28.090 RTTY: 1 Q
Twenty minutes calling CQ on 24.922 RTTY: 3 Qs

I'll try 15, 17, and 20 after the XYL and I return from lunch.

So much for those big pile-ups, eh? :roll:

wa6mhz
12-03-2014, 12:35 PM
maybe they don't know U are in Delaware!
Put DE in your CQ and watch the difference!
of course then U will have lotsa QSLs to answer!
If I was home I would have answered U, I am at work now

wa6mhz
12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Even if it is only 4Qs, you made 4 people very VERY HAPPY!!!

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Fifteen minutes calling CQ on 21.088: nothing but dead air.

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Nearly 25 minutes calling CQ on 18.105: 1 Q

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Nearly 30 minutes calling CQ on 14.082: 2 Qs

W3WN
12-03-2014, 05:34 PM
So far:

Twenty minutes calling CQ on 28.090 RTTY: 1 Q
Twenty minutes calling CQ on 24.922 RTTY: 3 Qs

I'll try 15, 17, and 20 after the XYL and I return from lunch.

So much for those big pile-ups, eh? :roll:Hmmm. Mid-day during the middle of a work week for most people. Why am I not surprised?

Are you ID'ing yourself as being in DE during your CQ's? If someone doesn't know... they might think you're just a run of the mill 3.

K7SGJ
12-03-2014, 05:37 PM
He is anything but run of the mill. :stickpoke:

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Hmmm. Mid-day during the middle of a work week for most people. Why am I not surprised?

W1AW/3 was just yesterday. People got on for that on Monday and Tuesday, didn't they?

Are you ID'ing yourself as being in DE during your CQ's? If someone doesn't know... they might think you're just a run of the mill 3.

With all the places and databases you can look up a callsign, why would I have to purposely have Delaware in the CQ? It's in the information macro that I send out during a QSO. I would think that would trigger something.

FYI, I wasn't spotted on the cluster, as far as I can tell.

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 06:07 PM
He is anything but run of the mill. :stickpoke:

Yeah, I'm a special asshole. We all know that.

wa6mhz
12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
I called CQ on 20M RTTY for 2 nights in a row and got a ROARING PILEUP each time. Logged dozens of Qs, but then I am worth 100pts in the ARRL Centennial contest. Otherwise ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would answer me!! NO one in the world needs a California contact!!!

KC2UGV
12-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Hmmm. Mid-day during the middle of a work week for most people. Why am I not surprised?

Anyone running digital modes would know he's a DE 0.5 seconds after highlighting his call.

KC2UGV
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I called CQ on 20M RTTY for 2 nights in a row and got a ROARING PILEUP each time. Logged dozens of Qs, but then I am worth 100pts in the ARRL Centennial contest. Otherwise ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would answer me!! NO one in the world needs a California contact!!!

I think it's more your reputation than anything else.

Do YOU randomly capitalize WORDS in your QSO's on the AIR too (OTHER THAN RTTY)?

KJ3N
12-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Anyone running digital modes would know he's a DE 0.5 seconds after highlighting his call.

Yeah, this.

NQ6U
12-03-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm worth five points. No pileups.

wa6mhz
12-03-2014, 06:25 PM
U need to get spotted on the DX SUMMIT, then the PILEUP will suddenly happen!

NQ6U
12-03-2014, 06:28 PM
U need to get spotted on the DX SUMMIT, then the PILEUP will suddenly happen!

Closest I ever came to being on the receiving end of a pileup was last weekend when 10m was open to Europe from the west coast. Had about five rapid-fire QSOs in the half-hour before the sun went down there.

K7SGJ
12-03-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm worth five points. No pileups.

I thought they said you were worth five dollars for a pile-on.

W3WN
12-03-2014, 08:29 PM
I called CQ on 20M RTTY for 2 nights in a row and got a ROARING PILEUP each time. Logged dozens of Qs, but then I am worth 100pts in the ARRL Centennial contest. Otherwise ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would answer me!! NO one in the world needs a California contact!!! And thank you for those two entries on LotW. Helped push me over the 10K mark. Don't know if I'll make 15K for the "top", but no big deal if I don't.

wa6mhz
12-04-2014, 10:25 AM
I just saw U on LOTW, Ron, so U are GOLDEN on points. I can give U more if u need, but can't do late at night or during work hours (except on weekends) 100pts per contact

W3WN
12-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks Pat. We'll see.

The HVAC folks are due back sometime during daylight on Saturday or Sunday to complete the install -- mainly to put the AC Condenser in place, out back. So between that and some other running around, to say nothing of pulling out the holiday decorations... I can kiss off the 160 contest and most daytime operating.

Next weekend we have Piratefest, AND LMFD's auditions for the Point Park U Conservancy of Performing Arts, which we have to be at. That kisses of the 10 meter contest.

In short, we're running out of time. But, if I don't hit the threshold, that's fine. For not trying real hard, I'm happy with where I stand in the, er, standings.

kd6nig
12-04-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm hoping for 1000 myself, but it seems like I'm in the same boat you have been.

At least my name is on the list for participating I suppose, and I've learned a lot about signals and how sunspot activity affects it.

If thats all I get out of it, I'll take it for sure :)

W5BRM
12-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Wish i had a HF rig with me! I'll be in Delaware this afternoon and probably overnight. Would be interesting to throw out a few calls from there although i wouldn't know how to confirm my DE qth status for lotw or any other internet logging systems.

KJ3N
12-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Wish i had a HF rig with me! I'll be in Delaware this afternoon and probably overnight. Would be interesting to throw out a few calls from there although i wouldn't know how to confirm my DE qth status for lotw or any other internet logging systems.

On eQSL, you would create an additional account with *callsign*/DE. You would have to supply some sort of location information specific to DE. I think you would need a minimum of city, state and grid square.

W5BRM
12-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't signing "AF5TY/DE" indicate me being in Germany or other entity with DE prefix?

KG4NEL
12-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Wouldn't signing "AF5TY/DE" indicate me being in Germany or other entity with DE prefix?

Generally, the DX location turns into the prefix - so P4/KG4NEL from the topless beach on Aruba.

Actually, wait. I wouldn't be on the radio then.

KJ3N
12-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Possibly. Would you prefer to make the account AF5TY/Delaware? AF5TY/3 could be any one of 3 states.

W3WN
12-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Wouldn't signing "AF5TY/DE" indicate me being in Germany or other entity with DE prefix?Strictly speaking, yes.

I'd suggest signing AF5TY/3 DE or DEL -- AF5TY/3 would indicate you're in the 3rd call area

W3WN
12-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Generally, the DX location turns into the prefix - so P4/KG4NEL from the topless beach on Aruba.

Actually, wait. I wouldn't be on the radio then.That's been accepted Amateur practice since the mid 70's or so, though you still find people signing CallSign/DX prefix.

Of course, if that's the way the license issued by the DX entity specifies it, that's what you send.

With cluster spotting these days, I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

...and this is on CW. On Phone? Just say "AF5TY Portable Delaware".

kd6nig
12-05-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm guessing honestly you'd just do your callsign /3. If you using the "average" program to log, it will ask you to specify QTH and stuff. If you create another location entry in LOTW's program, it asks for that data too.

Obviously to garner support for people to talk to you, you'd probably frequently mention the QTH as well.

But the data in the logbook would tell the tale and qualify people to be awarded that state. Its stuff in the background that you don't really notice if you use one.

I know I went to a friend's station once and, having N1MM+ linked to my HF rig, I never have to worry about logging the frequency, since when I turn the knob, it updates the frequency. Thankfully he noticed when I was writing stuff down I omitted that, and I was able to record it before I spun away. You can get into bad habits like that with some things automated for sure....

wa6mhz
12-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm guessing honestly you'd just do your callsign /3. If you using the "average" program to log, it will ask you to specify QTH and stuff. If you create another location entry in LOTW's program, it asks for that data too.

Obviously to garner support for people to talk to you, you'd probably frequently mention the QTH as well.

But the data in the logbook would tell the tale and qualify people to be awarded that state. Its stuff in the background that you don't really notice if you use one.

I know I went to a friend's station once and, having N1MM+ linked to my HF rig, I never have to worry about logging the frequency, since when I turn the knob, it updates the frequency. Thankfully he noticed when I was writing stuff down I omitted that, and I was able to record it before I spun away. You can get into bad habits like that with some things automated for sure....

I need to find out just how to do that. I have my FT5K working on HRD but not sure how to set up N1MM to find the rig frequency.

KG4NEL
12-05-2014, 03:03 PM
You can get into bad habits like that with some things automated for sure....

My trouble is clicking on spots for stations in DX 'tests on 40 meters that are out of the US phone band :twisted:

It may be a function of where I am, but I don't think there's been a domestic contest where I haven't worked DE. They're always on for the NAQPs, SS, WPX, etc. I can think of oddballs, like Kentucky or Idaho, that don't make as much of a presence...

kd6nig
12-05-2014, 03:18 PM
I need to find out just how to do that. I have my FT5K working on HRD but not sure how to set up N1MM to find the rig frequency.

I have a FT-857 with a CAT interface. Run it into a COM port on the computer (I use a USB-Serial converter) and setup N1MM+ to read the interface.

There are supposedly a lot more things you can do besides that with N1MM+ but I just did it for that. You can also type in 14250 and the rig will change frequency that way as well.

I also have a packet modem and supposedly you can open a telnet window but haven't dug that far. I know there are tons of rig functions N1MM supports, but since I don't operate or contest heavy I haven't looked into those.

But having the program put all of my info into the ADIF for uploading is very handy for sure. Also came in handy for contests like CQP-just make another log and its setup to log the specific stuff for that contest. Import it to the main log when you're done for uploading, delete that other log after saving the ADIF to submit to them. Was very handy though I didn't make a ton of contacts.

I know I'm barely scraping the capabilities of the program, but not having to worry about logging the frequency does save time when doing entries for sure....

But if your rig supports outputting such data to a COM port on your computer, you should be able to interface to it in the N1MM setup. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe there is a setup window for interfaces, that is where you would put it.

wa6mhz
12-05-2014, 03:44 PM
yes it does the comport thing, thats how it talks to Ham Radio Deluxe. I was unaware of a rig control module in the N1MM. gotta check it out now! never could get HRD working right.

KJ3N
12-05-2014, 04:59 PM
It may be a function of where I am, but I don't think there's been a domestic contest where I haven't worked DE. They're always on for the NAQPs, SS, WPX, etc. I can think of oddballs, like Kentucky or Idaho, that don't make as much of a presence...

NC isn't much of a stretch from here. I could probably work NC on 40m SSB with my IC-703 at a "staggering" 10 watts.

K7SGJ
12-05-2014, 05:15 PM
NC isn't much of a stretch from here. I could probably work NC on 40m SSB with my IC-703 at a "staggering" 10 watts.

I have one of those as well as the Yaesu 817ND. QRP is a hoot. The 817 is smaller for travel, but the tuner in the 703 is sure handy.

KJ3N
12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
I have one of those as well as the Yaesu 817ND. QRP is a hoot. The 817 is smaller for travel, but the tuner in the 703 is sure handy.

Never liked the display on the 817. I much prefer to have the larger display and tuner, in exchange for losing VHF/UHF.

NQ6U
12-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I got hooked on QRP after using the Ten Tec 505 I bought from Ron—there's a bigger thrill in working New Zealand on five watts SSB phone than you'd ever get working the same station with a full power rig. I'd love to have an IC-703 but the prices people get those things has become absurd. A used one sells for more now than it would have when it was new.

KC2UGV
12-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Never liked the display on the 817. I much prefer to have the larger display and tuner, in exchange for losing VHF/UHF.

But, I thought you were a VHF aficionado :snicker:

KJ3N
12-05-2014, 08:39 PM
But, I thought you were a VHF aficionado :snicker:

That's what the IC-910H is for. :neener:

WØTKX
12-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I got hooked on QRP after using the Ten Tec 505 I bought from Ron—there's a bigger thrill in working New Zealand on five watts SSB phone than you'd ever get working the same station with a full power rig. I'd love to have an IC-703 but the prices people get those things has become absurd. A used one sells for more now than it would have when it was new.

Not to mention the ridiculously decent receiver on that rig.

K7SGJ
12-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Well, the reason I wanted both of them, is that I used to travel pretty much every week. The 817 is very compact, lightweight, and has the built in battery pack. The tuner wasn't an issues since I used it with a Buddipole which is somewhat tunable. A perfect rig when space is at a premium. The 703 has it's place as well. When we go camping, or somewhere that I want to take a rig for portable use, and the extra room and weight of the rig and the battery isn't an issue, I'll usually take the 703 with a 7AH gel battery. They each fill a different and specific little niche, and I'm just glad I was able to get both of them when I did.

KG4NEL
12-05-2014, 10:06 PM
That's what the IC-910H is for. :neener:

Part of me wants to get a FT-847 again for hilltop VHFing.

But yikes, that's a lot of money for a radio that old. The 910 is similar (in age and in price).