PDA

View Full Version : Snolocalypse!!! Snowlocaust!!

KC2UGV
11-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Well, lots of closings here today, and I'm working remotely. Will likely head outside in a couple of hours to proceed with snow removal efforts... 2.5' of snow thus far, and still falling at about 2"/hr.

Oh, and UT's are standing by on 2M lulz.

N2NH
11-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Well, lots of closings here today, and I'm working remotely. Will likely head outside in a couple of hours to proceed with snow removal efforts... 2.5' of snow thus far, and still falling at about 2"/hr.

Wow, it's The Polar Vortex November. Only November. Doesn't lake effect snows ease up in Jan/Feb?

N8YX
11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't have the snow tires on it yet but my Pugsley laughs at your feeble snow flounderings! :rofl:

Now if I could only find time to ride the damned thing. That, and quit getting assorted weekend colds. No fun to ride with a clogged up head.

KK4AMI
11-18-2014, 07:59 AM

You people in Buffalsnow are kinda like an Early Warning Station for the rest of us folks. Thanks for the warning about Winter arriving, please tell us when you see Santa! :yes:

KC2UGV
11-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Wow, it's The Polar Vortex November. Only November. Doesn't lake effect snows ease up in Jan/Feb?

Yeah, more or less. It's not really too cold, but it's windy and the lake effect band is set up in one place, and not moving anywhere... I think it's slowing a little now, where I'm at.

I don't have the snow tires on it yet but my Pugsley laughs at your feeble snow flounderings! :rofl:

Now if I could only find time to ride the damned thing. That, and quit getting assorted weekend colds. No fun to ride with a clogged up head.

I dunno about that... Coupla areas are parking lots right now. Snow in my yard is waist-high. Drifts are killer too, coming up over my waist in the drive.

You people in Buffalsnow are kinda like an Early Warning Station for the rest of us folks. Thanks for the warning about Winter arriving, please tell us when you see Santa! :yes:

Will do lol

NQ6U
11-18-2014, 10:20 AM
I know naught of this "snow" thing of which you speak.

KG4NEL
11-18-2014, 10:24 AM

Uniformed Technicians? :lol::mrgreen:

KG4NEL
11-18-2014, 10:24 AM
I guess in snow that deep, all you can see are the reflective vests...and maybe the 3-foot long HT antenna.

kb2vxa
11-18-2014, 10:30 AM
You being da Pope know about edible snow in the desert and why it vanishes the next day. Then there's Miami snow and two of Phoebe Snow, railfans know about the other one but I digress..........

It's cold as a witch's chest lump here, the bushtits are frozen but thankfully not covered with snow... yet.

wa6mhz
11-18-2014, 10:43 AM
It got cold this morning here in San Diego East County! Down to the mid 40s!!!! but it will be 80 by noon!

NQ6U
11-18-2014, 10:48 AM
It got cold this morning here in San Diego East County! Down to the mid 40s!!!! but it will be 80 by noon!

Pat, do you know anything about this "snow" thing they're talking about?

wa6mhz
11-18-2014, 10:48 AM
I know U can get it over at 7-11, they are made into SLURPEES!!!!!

W3WN
11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Uniformed Technicians? :lol::mrgreen:
Uniformed?

Or Uninformed? :evil:

KJ3N
11-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Uniformed?

If it's the UT I'm thinking of, it would be the latter.

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I know U can get it over at 7-11, they are made into SLURPEES!!!!!

We can get those here, too. But they are a dry Slurpee.

NQ6U
11-18-2014, 12:02 PM
We can get those here, too. But they are a dry Slurpee.

A hot, dry Slurpee.

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 12:17 PM
A hot, dry Slurpee.

Well, yeah. But hot is a given for this part of the universe.

NQ6U
11-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Eating an Arizona Slurpee is sort of like putting your face into one of those hot air popcorn makers.

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Eating an Arizona Slurpee is sort of like putting your face into one of those hot air popcorn makers.

Yes, but several degrees warmer than a popcorn maker.

N2NH
11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
No 7-11's here. We have to look for yellow snow to get something cold with flavor...

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
No 7-11's here. We have to look for yellow snow to get something cold with flavor...

Ahhh, that explains a lot.

n2ize
11-18-2014, 01:37 PM
No snow here yet. Lot of heavy rain yesterday. But its cold for this time of year. Usually we don't see it this cold till late December. However I wouldn't take this to mean a cold winter is in store. I've seen many seasons where we get blasted with unseasonably cold air early on and then unusually warm weather in Jan/Feb. And vice versa.

N8GAV
11-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Man according to the Weather Channel Cory, you guys will get more snow tomorrow. Some areas your way may see like 5 feet ? Is that what you are hearing on your local weather?

N2NH
11-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Only in John/IZE's neighborhood. We got flurries and a measly 1" on the grass, nothing compared to the lake effect and the snowbelt. Down in the city they got an inch of rain or so and a lot of flooding again. I wonder what 3" would do?

KG4NEL
11-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Let me ask my ex.

KG4NEL
11-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Uniformed?

If it's the UT I'm thinking of, it would be the latter.

SKYWARN nets in a nutshell:

http://www.technologytell.com/in-car-tech/files/2013/09/ollie-williams-meme.jpg

N7YA
11-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Its 57 and clear in Vegass. When we get snow, its a few flurries on the outskirts, nothing sticks except in the surrounding mountains.

Except for one year, we had a storm blow through that closed the airport and sent these idiot drivers flying in all directions. It looked really weird to have 8" of snow on the ground, i've never seen that in 30 years here.

KC2UGV
11-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Man according to the Weather Channel Cory, you guys will get more snow tomorrow. Some areas your way may see like 5 feet ? Is that what you are hearing on your local weather?

Yep, and what I'm seeing... The snow out there last time I went to shovel was just above my waist... That's at least 3 ft :(

Kelli went outside this morning, and she couldn't find her car...

n2ize
11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Only in John/IZE's neighborhood. We got flurries and a measly 1" on the grass, nothing compared to the lake effect and the snowbelt. Down in the city they got an inch of rain or so and a lot of flooding again. I wonder what 3" would do?

What happened only in my neighborhood ?

W2NAP
11-18-2014, 06:56 PM
we got about 3" of snow... but the low this AM was 7F windchill was down around -10F

for some reason we seem to get the Manitoba cold, just not as extreme.

W5BRM
11-18-2014, 07:08 PM
We had about an inch or so the other night in Oklahoma. Melted all off with the next sunrise though

N8GAV
11-18-2014, 07:35 PM
we got about 3" of snow... but the low this AM was 7F windchill was down around -10F

for some reason we seem to get the Manitoba cold, just not as extreme.

Saw where Buffalo Air Port got like 3.2 inches, downtown Buffalo got a little bit, but a city named Hamburg had about 20 inches with more coming at 1pm this afternoon when I had the Weather Channel on. Looked like south of Buffalo was getting hit the hardest.

W3WN
11-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Man according to the Weather Channel Cory, you guys will get more snow tomorrow. Some areas your way may see like 5 feet ? Is that what you are hearing on your local weather?Tonight's newscast predicted that Cory's area will get 70 inches.

Of SNOW. Of SNOW. Oh, yee of dirty minds... thinking that...

...keep "up!" the good work...

N8GAV
11-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Tonight's newscast predicted that Cory's area will get 70 inches.

Yep saw that Ron, wonder if Kelli found her car?

kb2vxa
11-18-2014, 08:52 PM
They're hoping the snow keeps up.

If it keeps up it won't come down.

KG4CGC
11-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Uniformed?

Uniformed. No penis.

KC2UGV
11-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Saw where Buffalo Air Port got like 3.2 inches, downtown Buffalo got a little bit, but a city named Hamburg had about 20 inches with more coming at 1pm this afternoon when I had the Weather Channel on. Looked like south of Buffalo was getting hit the hardest.

Yeah, there was a line bisecting the metro area. On one side, little to no snow. On the other, +50". Some areas expecting up to 90" by end of Thursday. That's generally what we get all year long.

Tonight's newscast predicted that Cory's area will get 70 inches.

Yeah, the areas getting snow are projecting anywhere from 50-90" through Thursday.

Yep saw that Ron, wonder if Kelli found her car?

Last I knew, she gave up waiting until the storm is over. I tackled the sidewalks to make them passable, and allow the doogies to go and do their business. Didn't bother with the cars until we get earth movers in to move snow out of the street. There's 3 1/2' right now, or so:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2wn9BPIQAAjlEm.jpg

W2NAP
11-18-2014, 09:58 PM
I am just glad it isn't here...

KG4CGC
11-18-2014, 10:15 PM
When ya gonna move?

K7SGJ
11-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Man, you can have that wet white stuff. At least I don't have to shovel the heat.

n6hcm
11-19-2014, 04:30 AM
yeah. all that snow is pretty much f'd up.

meanwhile, the rain we were promised for overnight hasn't yet started at 0130 ...

KC2UGV
11-19-2014, 06:52 AM

meanwhile, the rain we were promised for overnight hasn't yet started at 0130 ...

It's supposed to start raining here on Saturday lol. Gotta love it.

N2NH
11-19-2014, 06:58 AM
It's supposed to start raining here on Saturday lol. Gotta love it.

Oddly enough this fits with the coarse global climate change models they had in the 1970s/80s. Back then nobody thought they were accurate since they skewed temperatures so much, but here we are. We're 18 right now, in less than a week they're saying 63...

N2NH
11-19-2014, 06:59 AM
What happened only in my neighborhood ?

That's what windows is fore.

KC2UGV
11-19-2014, 07:28 AM
An update this morning:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2zXC51IYAAy5Al.jpg

W5BRM
11-19-2014, 08:56 AM
An update this morning:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2zXC51IYAAy5Al.jpg

Looks like all that sidewalk shoveling/plowing was all for naught. Looks like the marshmallow plant blew up!

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 09:52 AM
http://asset-0.soup.io/asset/4088/9326_0ec5.jpeg

N8YX
11-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I soooo wanna bring this thing up and go riding in the drifts:

wa6mhz
11-19-2014, 10:52 AM

we never get even a drop down here. ANY rain that travels down the coast gets sucked up by SF and LA and never makes it to San Diego. So we are BONE DRY here, and will be all winter! AZ gets more rain that we do!

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 10:55 AM
I soooo wanna bring this thing up and go riding in the drifts:

That looks fun as hell.

NQ6U
11-19-2014, 11:00 AM
"Surly."

My kinda bike.

KK4AMI
11-19-2014, 11:18 AM
"Surly."

My kinda bike.

Surly you jest!

NQ6U
11-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Surly you jest!

No. And don't call me Shirley.

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Wonder if they make it in a fixie.

Little bit of snow isn't going to stop a hipster. Well, actually, it probably would.

N8YX
11-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Wonder if they make it in a fixie.

Little bit of snow isn't going to stop a hipster. Well, actually, it probably would.

You can build a Pugsley, Necromancer or Moonlander with gears or without.

My Pugs has a 3x9 drivetrain. I have three complete wheelsets for use depending on the climate: 3 rears set up with 11-34t cassettes, a rear set up with a 16-18t dual freewheel and two rears set up with 18t fixed cogs. Pugsleys with an offset (135mm) fork let you do something neat - run a rear wheel on both ends of the bike. They can be swapped around in case of a freewheel failure, as is common in very cold weather.

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 01:12 PM
I only have a vague notion of what you said :twisted:

One of these days I should try biking. Right now, using da feets is enough.

N8YX
11-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I only have a vague notion of what you said :twisted:
Bicycle hubs come in several sizes (widths). Most common are 100mm (front) and 135mm (rear). A so-called "fat bike" (fat-tired bicycle) has clearance issues with a 68 or 73mm 'standard' bottom bracket and this must be widened to 100mm or more for the chain to clear the tire. It also necessitates offsetting the chain stays and offsetting the hub relative to the rim center in order to maintain a usable chainline.

What this means is that if you offset the front fork legs by the same amount as the chain stays and use the same type of brake caliper attachment at both ends of the bike, you can run a 135mm rear hub wheel up front instead of the industry standard 100mm unit. And you get the benefit of a backup in case the freewheel unit attached to your "gears" wheel stops working due to freeze-up in extremely cold weather. It's a safety measure.

One of these days I should try biking. Right now, using da feets is enough.
I love to hike and walk, especially when out hunting - but I find myself riding the carp out of my bikes. They're like an enduro motorcycle but I can take them many places where motorized vehicles aren't allowed to go.

KK4AMI
11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
I recommend that IOMH take up a collection for two 102 inch whip antennas to send to Cory and Kelli. That is so we can find them in the spring! I think they are getting even more snow!

NQ6U
11-19-2014, 02:56 PM
I recommend that IOMH take up a collection for two 102 inch whip antennas to send to Cory and Kelli. That is so we can find them in the spring! I think they are getting even more snow!

102" might not be long enough.

N8YX
11-19-2014, 03:20 PM
102" might not be long enough.
In light of what I just saw on radar moving towards their area, I suspect you're right.

PA5COR
11-19-2014, 07:25 PM
What's a little snow between friends ;)

KC2UGV
11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Well, support units from all over the state, and neighboring states are moving equipment into the area. From Kelli on facebook, she's well stocked on provisions, and is helping a neighbor or two. We're all stocked for the time being too, and don't need to start worrying until Monday (Medication, mostly). Even "worrying" is a little strong, as it just means I'll have to go for a hike to pick some stuff up like maybe milk, and the wife has to do without pain meds for a bit.

So, by and large, we're doing ok. We're just stuck at home. A bunch of people are stuck on roads, or at gas stations.

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 08:44 PM
And the Bills want to play football?

KC2UGV
11-19-2014, 09:33 PM

And, they're asking for people to come shovel out the stadium for $10/hr + a ticket to Sunday's game... I'm like, yeah, be right there after I find my car.

W2NAP
11-19-2014, 10:00 PM
And, they're asking for people to come shovel out the stadium for $10/hr + a ticket to Sunday's game... I'm like, yeah, be right there after I find my car.

brb going to buff... no wait don't think I can get in. prob end up stuck on I-90, nevermind.

n2ize
11-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Yes, that is true American spirit. Snow rain, heat or bitter cold you get out there and play. That is one thing I love about American football. It is certainly no sissy sport.

n2ize
11-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Well, support units from all over the state, and neighboring states are moving equipment into the area. From Kelli on facebook, she's well stocked on provisions, and is helping a neighbor or two. We're all stocked for the time being too, and don't need to start worrying until Monday (Medication, mostly). Even "worrying" is a little strong, as it just means I'll have to go for a hike to pick some stuff up like maybe milk, and the wife has to do without pain meds for a bit.

So, by and large, we're doing ok. We're just stuck at home. A bunch of people are stuck on roads, or at gas stations.

It is important to stock up on vital medications before a major storm hits. If your prescriptions are running low get them refilled right away before the storm hits.. Call your doctor and request a renewal if need be. It is recommended to try and have a 1 - 2 weeks supply of any vital medication on hand at all times and in particular if severe weather is on the forecast. It is also a good idea to keep at least a couple bottles of some strong liquor on hand. It can become a very important medicine if you are snowed in for several days or longer. Don't get caught in a major blizzard or hurricane with only 2 pills of an important medication left.

KG4NEL
11-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Being 28, I don't have the RX, but I don't think I've ever been snowed in without a decent supply of scotch around.

NQ6U
11-20-2014, 12:02 AM
That is one thing I love about American football. It is certainly no sissy sport.

Yes it is. American football players wear pads and helmets. Real men play rugby.

KC2UGV
11-20-2014, 07:26 AM
It is important to stock up on vital medications before a major storm hits. If your prescriptions are running low get them refilled right away before the storm hits.. Call your doctor and request a renewal if need be. It is recommended to try and have a 1 - 2 weeks supply of any vital medication on hand at all times and in particular if severe weather is on the forecast. It is also a good idea to keep at least a couple bottles of some strong liquor on hand. It can become a very important medicine if you are snowed in for several days or longer. Don't get caught in a major blizzard or hurricane with only 2 pills of an important medication left.

Yeah, nothing vital. Just the wife's pain meds, which she can't just call a doc to get a refill. She needs an office visit, urine test, and interrogation prior to getting a 30 day supply.. Pretty crazy what she needs to go through all because marijuana isn't legal (Which helped her back pain much better than the current script).

KC2UGV
11-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Being 28, I don't have the RX, but I don't think I've ever been snowed in without a decent supply of scotch around.

We've got a decent supply of rum and wine :)

n2ize
11-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Yeah, nothing vital. Just the wife's pain meds, which she can't just call a doc to get a refill. She needs an office visit, urine test, and interrogation prior to getting a 30 day supply.. Pretty crazy what she needs to go through all because marijuana isn't legal (Which helped her back pain much better than the current script).

Well, I hope she doesn't experience too much pain. I am sure she'll be able to get to the doc in a couple days. Unless you get dumped with yet another major blizzard.

n2ize
11-20-2014, 08:22 AM

That is important. In day's gone by in the north country whiskey, rum, etc. was considered not just a recreational drug but also a vital medicine to have around, not just for recreational drinking but for medicinal purposes. It can help relieve pain, relieves anxiety, induces sleep, etc. Even can be used as an antiseptic to clean wounds. People always kept it around when traveling or living in the rugged north. Of course it was also considered vital in the south too. :)

Heck, at least you have Internet service and power. When we were hit by the hurricane a couple years ago we went for around a week with no Internet, no electric, and very bad mobile service.

KG4NEL
11-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Down here, it's typically the ice that takes out the power. We generally don't get the fluffy stuff in dangerous quantities, but a half-inch of ice on the lines...poof.

KG4NEL
11-20-2014, 09:55 AM
ib4 the south is backward anyway what do you need power to harvest chickens for

NQ6U
11-20-2014, 10:09 AM
ib4 the south is backward anyway what do you need power to harvest chickens for

You need lights in the still house.

KG4NEL
11-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Dem boys are creative.

K0RGR
11-20-2014, 12:16 PM
We're expecting it to get above freezing for the first time in recent memory on Saturday, with a good chance of freezing rain. Then, we go back into the deep freeze. At least when it's cold, the streets aren't that sloppy. This weekend will be a zoo on the roads.

K7SGJ
11-20-2014, 12:26 PM
You need lights in the still house.

Or a still in the lighthouse.

N2NH
11-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Stay warm. I just saw the Guv on the news and how the highways aren't going to be opened until after the next storm dumps up to 3 more feet. Long Island just sent a bunch of crews with backhoes and storm fighting trucks up your way.

n2ize
11-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Down here, it's typically the ice that takes out the power. We generally don't get the fluffy stuff in dangerous quantities, but a half-inch of ice on the lines...poof.

Happens here often. Since my part of NY is near the ocean many of our snow storms happen right at the freezing point so the precip takes the form of snow, heavy wet snow, sleet, and freezing rain. When we get the really col\d temps and the fluffy snow it's not so bad. But when we get the heavy wet snow, sleet and freezing rain it builds up fast on the trees and lines causing lines to snap or short and circuit breakers trip. Mostly very localized but nonetheless annoying outages.

WØTKX
11-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Epic snowstorm. You'll remember it for the rest of your lives.

I've been through a few winters where the entrance to the house was either a deep hallway, or a freakin' tunnel for a few weeks. The chains stay on the vehicle for a while, if it's even usable. It's also a chance to have fun with the situation. Feed those happy shovellers... Neighborhood parties just sorta happen, like hurricane parties. And it's a good excuse to go door to door and make sure everybody is OK.

I'm a little jealous. Love those big snowstorms with lots of snow. :yes:

WØTKX
11-20-2014, 04:58 PM
This just in... :agree:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2z8kqCIUAAyVxy.jpg:large

K7SGJ
11-20-2014, 08:12 PM
This just in... :agree:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2z8kqCIUAAyVxy.jpg:large

Oh hell yeah! Of course, it certainly wouldn't last long around here. Neither would the snow.

NQ6U
11-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Oh hell yeah! Of course, it certainly wouldn't last long around here. Neither would the snow.

It's a dry snow.

N8GAV
11-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Anyone heard from Cory or Kelli ? Wonder if that last bit of snow got them

W2NAP
11-21-2014, 06:31 PM
i think the snow ate them

WØTKX
11-21-2014, 08:50 PM
They've both been posting on Facebook, mostly amused by the storm, and doing fine.

NA4BH
11-21-2014, 10:40 PM
i think the snow ate them

Polar bears dammit, polar bears took them down

NQ6U
11-21-2014, 10:49 PM
At least they're not going to have to mow their lawns for a while. Or tell those damned kids to get off them, either.

KG4CGC
11-22-2014, 08:17 AM
At least they're not going to have to mow their lawns for a while. Or tell those damned kids to get off them, either.

When I was 17, and old fart told me to get off his snow. I was in shock. I couldn't believe what a shitty person he was.

KC2UGV
11-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Well, I'm doing good. We got dug out, just sore, and tired. Bracing for the oncoming rain and thaw. Kelli still isn't dug out, but they can make it to the store and whatnot.

I've been trying to help coordinate relief efforts via a facebook group, and via radio. Helping dig out some elderly neighbors, and do pharma runs for them if needed.

Shockingly: My dipole is still up :)

KC2UGV
11-22-2014, 12:51 PM
An update, Kelli's Pruis is dug out now. Took a plow and like 10 people 3 hours to get it out.

N8GAV
11-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Glad your OK Cory, and the dipole made it ! Tell Kelli I was asking about her and glad she and her family are OK

KC2UGV
11-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Will do :)

N8GAV
11-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Be safe my friend, hope that the flooding don't hit you. Saw a house on fire in Lackawanna and the fire plugs were covered on the Weather Channel this morning.

KK4AMI
11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Shockingly: My dipole is still up :)

Well if you are going to be stuck at home in 8 ft of snow for a week, that is a good thing isn't it. Gotta keep busy :evil:!

PA5COR
11-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Keep safe and dry there ;)

KC2UGV
11-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Well if you are going to be stuck at home in 8 ft of snow for a week, that is a good thing isn't it. Gotta keep busy :evil:!

That's what I thought too, but I had to work remotely :(

Keep safe and dry there ;)

We're trying :)

W2NAP
11-22-2014, 07:06 PM
That's what I thought too, but I had to work remotely :(

should have told them the internet is down

NQ6U
11-22-2014, 07:10 PM
should have told them the internet is down

Via e-mail, of course.

N8YX
11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Glad to hear you folks made it through, Corey! :agree:

N2CHX
11-23-2014, 03:14 PM
We're OK here... Got a little stir crazy toward the end. My best friend Kim's garage collapsed this morning, unfortunately, and the roof on her Victorian may be in trouble. Our town got the most snow. 88 inches I think.

I have some pics if anyone is interested. Thanks for thinking of us!

N8YX
11-23-2014, 03:18 PM
We're OK here... Got a little stir crazy toward the end. My best friend Kim's garage collapsed this morning, unfortunately, and the roof on her Victorian may be in trouble. Our town got the most snow. 88 inches I think.

I have some pics if anyone is interested. Thanks for thinking of us!

Post 'em, please.

On another forum I frequent there were pics of roofs with what looked like 10 feet of snow on them. Several people were clearing the stuff with shovels and it was way over their heads.

PA5COR
11-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Most I saw here was 20 inches in one night, so post please, we had some no winters here, a bit overkill might compensate for the no snow we had here.
Good to read tou are all rght, things can be replaced, people not.

NQ6U
11-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Most I saw here was 20 inches in one night

Most I saw here in one night is...none.

Last time it snowed in San Diego was in December 1967 and I didn't arrive here until 24 years later.

N2NH
11-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes, Kelli, please post them. Sounds like it was a historical snowfall.

W2NAP
11-24-2014, 12:33 PM
now after getting all that snow, it looks like they are going to get some flooding.

N8YX
11-24-2014, 02:15 PM
now after getting all that snow, it looks like they are going to get some flooding.
With a 12" snow to 1" liquid conversion rate, I would guess that to be a certainty. Temps are in the 50s and 60s here at the moment.

KC2UGV
11-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Thankfully, the flooding has been minimal, if at all. I've got some basement seepage, and the creeks are staying below the flood mark. They're breaking up ice floes as they find them, to keep the creeks flowing.

KG4CGC
11-24-2014, 07:23 PM
NY governor blames NWS for the NY governor's lack of response. Claims a state run weather service would beat the pants off the NWS.

NQ6U
11-24-2014, 08:08 PM
NY governor blames NWS for the NY governor's lack of response. Claims a state run weather service would beat the pants off the NWS.

Not the the NWS's fault that the governor can't read a forecast discussion. I knew what was coming and I'm 2000 miles away.

KG4CGC
11-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Not the the NWS's fault that the governor can't read a forecast discussion. I knew what was coming and I'm 2000 miles away.

He's a blowhard dipshit. IMPEACH! IN PEACH!

n2ize
11-25-2014, 03:40 AM

Around here some of these people would still mow their lawns.

KC2UGV
11-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Funny enough, I have very little snow on my yard now. It's mostly grass, and ponds. :P

W3WN
11-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Of course he did. What else is new?

KC2UGV
11-25-2014, 08:48 AM

If anyone listened to the press conference, he didn't blame the NWS for lack of response. He stated the NWS doesn't have the manpower, or equipment, to nail down the exactitudes of lake effect storms. Case in point: NWS claimed the storm would start about 7 hours after it did, and hit must further south. So, the thruway was closed at 12AM, expecting a storm at 7AM'ish... The storm started at 9PM. NWS stated the main snow bands would be in Ski country, which normally doesn't get this much, would have welcomed this dumping so they can open earlier. It ended up settling on South Buffalo and the first ring suburbs. NWS reported the snow band would oscillate through the entire storm N/S. The snow bands locked into the same spot for days.

So, it wasn't so much that he was blaming NWS for anything. He said we could deploy more sensors, and predict the nature of Lake Effect storms better. And, the NWS would obtain more data to use in their reporting.

KG4CGC
11-25-2014, 10:04 AM
If anyone listened to the press conference, he didn't blame the NWS for lack of response. He stated the NWS doesn't have the manpower, or equipment, to nail down the exactitudes of lake effect storms. Case in point: NWS claimed the storm would start about 7 hours after it did, and hit must further south. So, the thruway was closed at 12AM, expecting a storm at 7AM'ish... The storm started at 9PM. NWS stated the main snow bands would be in Ski country, which normally doesn't get this much, would have welcomed this dumping so they can open earlier. It ended up settling on South Buffalo and the first ring suburbs. NWS reported the snow band would oscillate through the entire storm N/S. The snow bands locked into the same spot for days.

So, it wasn't so much that he was blaming NWS for anything. He said we could deploy more sensors, and predict the nature of Lake Effect storms better. And, the NWS would obtain more data to use in their reporting.
Isn't that what he said later? After he was backtracking.
Sounded to me like he said that the NWS didn't get the forecast right thus HIS civic response was lacking because of it. Now he wants to throw more money at a problem that isn't a problem.

KC2UGV
11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Isn't that what he said later? After he was backtracking.
Sounded to me like he said that the NWS didn't get the forecast right thus HIS civic response was lacking because of it. Now he wants to throw more money at a problem that isn't a problem.

No, it's what he said at the initial news conference I watched. And, the response was nothing short of spectacular, to be honest. 6 ft of snow removed from 1/4 of the second largest city in NYS removed in less than 5 days. Not to mention the first rings that were hit. Nat Guard on site and working within 24 hours. Initial assets on ground being deployed in 12 hours. All travel bans lifted in 5 days. All major potential floods were averted.

To put in in perspective, the last storm like this was in 2006, our "October Surprise". It took nearly 1 month for recovery, with travel bans extending in some areas for 10 days. The Blizzard of '77 had Buffalo shut down for over 2 weeks.

Cuomo and Poloncarz (Whom I really, really, really don't like his politics) should be applauded for their handling of this storm.

KG4CGC
11-25-2014, 10:35 AM
No, it's what he said at the initial news conference I watched. And, the response was nothing short of spectacular, to be honest. 6 ft of snow removed from 1/4 of the second largest city in NYS removed in less than 5 days. Not to mention the first rings that were hit. Nat Guard on site and working within 24 hours. Initial assets on ground being deployed in 12 hours. All travel bans lifted in 5 days. All major potential floods were averted.

To put in in perspective, the last storm like this was in 2006, our "October Surprise". It took nearly 1 month for recovery, with travel bans extending in some areas for 10 days. The Blizzard of '77 had Buffalo shut down for over 2 weeks.

Cuomo and Poloncarz (Whom I really, really, really don't like his politics) should be applauded for their handling of this storm.

Then why was he bitching at the NWS?

KC2UGV
11-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Then why was he bitching at the NWS?

Because NWS forecast called for snow to hit areas that expect this, and to not last nearly as long, and to not be nearly as intense. And, he wasn't really bitching at the NWS, he said we could enhance the forecasting with more sensors operated by NYS, without relying on the federal government to rectify a local issue, that's all.

NQ6U
11-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Cuomo is blowing hot air and more sensors aren't going to do it. Due to a lack of scientific literacy, he is making the same mistaken assumption the NWS did about forty years ago when they thought that if they could only get enough data, they could make predictions with 100% accuracy. They found out that wasn't the case because the behavior of the lower atmosphere is a chaotic system and highly dependent on initial conditions.

Unless Cuomo is looking to invest in the development of new numerical modeling software to replace the GFS and ECMWF, nothing he does is going to make much difference.

N2NH
11-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if the European model did better than the NWS model? The Northeast is one of the hardest areas to predict, particularly at this time of year. Weather can come from 5 different directions, and the Gulf Stream influences the coast anywhere from a little to a lot depending on how the eddies flow.

KC2UGV
11-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Cuomo is blowing hot air and more sensors aren't going to do it. Due to a lack of scientific literacy, he is making the same mistaken assumption the NWS did about forty years ago when they thought that if they could only get enough data, they could make predictions with 100% accuracy. They found out that wasn't the case because the behavior of the lower atmosphere is a chaotic system and highly dependent on initial conditions.

Unless Cuomo is looking to invest in the development of new numerical modeling software to replace the GFS and ECMWF, nothing he does is going to make much difference.

The lake snow isn't very dependent on lower atmo, and is more dependent on lake temps v air temps v wind direction and speeds.

It is very likely that given enough sensor data, a better predictive model of where the bands would lay, for how long, and in what intensity could be built in this case, and even the meteorologists here in this area agree. The people with scientific literacy.

W2NAP
11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know if the European model did better than the NWS model? The Northeast is one of the hardest areas to predict, particularly at this time of year. Weather can come from 5 different directions, and the Gulf Stream influences the coast anywhere from a little to a lot depending on how the eddies flow.

hard to predict here in Indiana as well. All they can do is give a good guess. We have had tornadoes when the models said it wasn't possible. 12" of snow when the models said no more then a inch. ect.

N2NH
11-25-2014, 01:25 PM
hard to predict here in Indiana as well. All they can do is give a good guess. We have had tornadoes when the models said it wasn't possible. 12" of snow when the models said no more then a inch. ect.

Well that sucks. Interesting that the very coarse climate models of the 70s are more on target than what much more advanced computers can do with present day weather. I thought it was the variables here being so variable. Didn't realize that this is as widespread as that.

W2NAP
11-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Well that sucks. Interesting that the very coarse climate models of the 70s are more on target than what much more advanced computers can do with present day weather. I thought it was the variables here being so variable. Didn't realize that this is as widespread as that.

I remember a few years ago, was working 3rds got home watched the Am news weather guy comes on says its going to be sunny and upper 70s. woke up later in the day to tornado sirens going off.. tornadic super cell developed and was moving over the area.. total wtf moment...

n2ize
11-25-2014, 10:33 PM

Actually modern day computer models are far more accurate than decades ago. This is not to say models are 100% but they are pretty damned good and better than in the past.

W5BRM
11-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Gov Cuomo aint foolin around after the Buffalo debacle

RT @NYSThruway8790: Effective 7 am Wed: Tandems are banned on I-87 (NYC to exit 24) and I-90 (exit 24 to exit 33 Westmoreland) due to winter weather conditions

RT @NYGovCuomo: Long tandem vehicles will be banned on parts of @NYSThruway8790 beginning Wednesday at 7AM ahead of heavy snowfall: http://on.ny.gov/1vf4wK8

RT @NYGovCuomo: Commercial traffic to be banned on I-84 from CT to PA border starting Wednesday at 7AM ahead of winter storm: http://on.ny.gov/1vf4wK8

KC2UGV
11-26-2014, 07:17 AM

I wouldn't either. Of course, detractors will pop up and claim he's killing business. I'd prefer dead business to dead people though.

WX7P
11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
With Cuomo you always have to wonder what ulterior motive is at play.

That guy never does anything without some kind of preferred political end result in mind.

No way in hell I'd vote for that guy for President. Not that I'd vote for a Republican, but Cuomo is bad news.

W3WN
11-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Cuomo is blowing hot air
< snip >So what else is new?

KJ3N
11-26-2014, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't either. Of course, detractors will pop up and claim he's killing business. I'd prefer dead business to dead people though.

WDYHA?

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 11:42 AM
With Cuomo you always have to wonder what ulterior motive is at play.

That guy never does anything without some kind of preferred political end result in mind.

No way in hell I'd vote for that guy for President. Not that I'd vote for a Republican, but Cuomo is bad news.

Oh, I dunno... If my only choices were Cuomo and a Pub, it'd be a hard decision ;)

On an unrelated note... I dug my Ninja out of the garage and have been riding it since Sunday. I've been playing catchup this week and we installed a new phone system, which quickly turned into a disaster. I've been living at work the last few days.

WX7P
11-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Oh, I dunno... If my only choices were Cuomo and a Pub, it'd be a hard decision ;)

On an unrelated note... I dug my Ninja out of the garage and have been riding it since Sunday. I've been playing catchup this week and we installed a new phone system, which quickly turned into a disaster. I've been living at work the last few days.

It won't be an issue. Cuomo has pissed off WAY to many people to survive a Democratic primary. His nonsense with the IDP and Republicans is some serious bad juju.

N2NH
11-26-2014, 04:54 PM
It won't be an issue. Cuomo has pissed off WAY to many people to survive a Democratic primary. His nonsense with the IDP and Republicans is some serious bad juju.

In four years. He just won another 4 year term earlier this month. Didn't help that the GOP ran a guy who couldn't attract flies.

KC2UGV
11-26-2014, 05:29 PM

And yet, he survived a democratic primary in NYS, and won governorship about a month ago. By a landslide.

wa6mhz
11-26-2014, 05:43 PM
meanwhile it is 88 degrees here in El Cajon today! PHEW!!! Gonna hafta run the Air Conditioner on the way home!!!

N8GAV
11-26-2014, 06:24 PM
meanwhile it is 88 degrees here in El Cajon today! PHEW!!! Gonna hafta run the Air Conditioner on the way home!!!

Snowed here got to a high of 38. Right now a misty rain and 34, do you have to rub it in Pat?

W5BRM
11-26-2014, 07:52 PM
an from Sturbridge Mass to Harrisburg Pa. Took me 8h to go abt 360 miles. Had to go through NYC as i84 bypassing the i95 corridor was closed. Most of the time was spent sitting in NYC waiting to emergency Pothole repair on the Crossbronx Expressway. It rained the whole time while I was in Connecticut. It changed over to snow while I was in NYC. The most snow I saw was in western NJ and when I went by, it looked like they had about 6 inches or so. By the time I got to PA, it was just a heavy dusting of wet snow and that was ending as I came through. It's stopped now entirely.

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 09:15 PM

This was from my ride today. Pics of the storm to follow. Unfortunately, this site won't scale them down for me so I have to scale them down manually.

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 09:18 PM
First pic of the first morning after the storm started... Out my back door. At this point we had about three feet. My back door was a bit protected by the mud room overhang.13373

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Somewhere under that mound is the Prius.

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 09:21 PM

Looking from the driveway to the back door after attempting to get to the car.

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 09:26 PM

Looking out the front door in the middle of it on Tuesday.

N2CHX
11-26-2014, 09:28 PM
This... is how we entertained ourselves. Making cookies during the storm. My 17 year old did these two. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

n2ize
11-27-2014, 04:22 AM

Looking from the driveway to the back door after attempting to get to the car.

Can I interest you in a fine pair of snowshoes ? I might be able to throw in a sled and a team of huskies. :)

PA5COR
11-27-2014, 04:22 AM
That's SNOW...... and lots of it, thanks for posting ;)
Just had my car M.O.T. ed, so good for another year on the road with a mechanically sound car, new tyres and all, snowchains in the boot, but that wouldn't help much with the load you got there....

N2NH
11-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Hey! ... like those cookies. Especially the one on the right. Granola right?

8" was bad enough here (EDIT: Make that a foot or so - Just cleared the entrance). I can't imagine an ocean of snow that deep.

KK4AMI
11-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Wow! White out!

N2CHX
11-27-2014, 07:55 AM

My best friend Kim's poor, unfortunate garage.

N2CHX
11-27-2014, 07:56 AM
I used to have a good pair of snow shoes. Wood and leather ones. Found them at a transmitter site early in my career, undoubtedly used by a previous engineer to hoof it out to the doghouses. Lost them somewhere along the way and boy I wish I had them last week!

W2NAP
11-27-2014, 09:09 AM
snow everywhere

KC2UGV
11-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Amazinly, there's apparently one guy in WNY who has a sled and a snowdog team:
https://i.imgur.com/ThWxhuF.jpg

N8GAV
11-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Cool, you don't see a sled team much in the lower 48 !

KC2UGV
11-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Cool, you don't see a sled team much in the lower 48 !

I'm wondering how long he's been itching to bust out his dog team and sled lol

N8YX
11-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Watch out where the huskies go...

WØTKX
11-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Actually, there's quite a bit of dog sledding anywhere there is enough snow.

CO, WY, MT, MN, MI, WI... and other places. Pretty popular for tourist rides too.

kb2vxa
11-29-2014, 11:50 AM
"Cool, you don't see a sled team much in the lower 48 !"

Cool but not cold, we only get two dog nights down this way.

n2ize
12-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Actually, there's quite a bit of dog sledding anywhere there is enough snow.

CO, WY, MT, MN, MI, WI... and other places. Pretty popular for tourist rides too.

Yep, you'll still find plenty of sledding in the snow states. Seen a few in upstate NY as well. As for me I think I'll settle for a snow machine when I head up north. And maybe an airplane with skis.

n2ize
12-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Nice... Although it is a small team. Not the kind of team you'd want foor a long haul up in the Yukon or Alaska but still nice for a short trip to the store to pick up some bread. :).

W3WN
12-01-2014, 01:03 PM
"Cool, you don't see a sled team much in the lower 48 !"

Cool but not cold, we only get two dog nights down this way.Good. It could be a real problem if it was a Three Dog Night

... aren't they out on tour somewhere, or did they break up?

N7YA
12-10-2014, 05:15 AM
Nope, still around...only missing Chuck Negron, the main voice, but he is out there doing his own thing. They have two of their original band too.