PDA

View Full Version : My Way

suddenseer
11-14-2014, 08:10 AM
The first time I saw a tv commercial using the music of Led Zepplin, I knew the world was changing to use what was counter culture music to sell cars.Whan I saw the music of Sid Vicious/Sex Pistols, I was totally convinced the rebels are now the ceo's. They may not 'do it' anymore, but they remember when they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFbyFi85bNc

w0aew
11-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Or they're just playing to a demographic to sell things.

KG4CGC
11-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Or they're just playing to a demographic to sell things.

Play to a demographic, yes, but, they are what came from us. Part of our generation. Contemporaries. The only difference is, they're making bank. BANK!

N8YX
11-14-2014, 02:10 PM
...I could never get the hang of ideology...

WØTKX
11-14-2014, 05:17 PM
http://youtu.be/2DQHiWAgjW0

http://youtu.be/2DQHiWAgjW0

suddenseer
11-15-2014, 09:48 AM
I doubt if Paul Revere & the Raiders represent the extreme counter culture that the Sex Pistols did. I think the Sex Pistols where completely ensconced in the system they seemed to hate. They laughed all the way to the bank, sans Sid. We all know he probably murdered his girlfriend, Nancy with a knife, and later offed himself with a heroin overdose. Seems he did not understand where reality begins, and an act ends, or he was really a sociopath.

I think there was a time where a corporation would never even consider using the music from a band with such negative energy to sell cars. Perhaps the target audience is gen xers who many not be totally aware of the story behind the commercial's jingle. When I hear "Anarchy in the UK" as a commercial jingle for some sports drink, I will be completely convinced I am right.

W3WN
11-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Remember when you first started hearing Beatles songs in ads?

The Beatles themselves were totally against the idea, and had no plans to ever license any of their music for commercials. Problem was, they didn't control the "book" of their own music... a firm called ATV Music Publishing did. When it was put up for sale, Michael Jackson outbid everyone for it. And when he had to start recouping his costs...

(yeah, I know there's a lot more detail/nuance to the story, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony/ATV_Music_Publishing )

I wonder sometimes, when you hear a familiar, older song being used in a commercial these days, did the artists sell the rights (and in some cases, sell out)? Or was it their publisher or manager or some other money grubbing bozo who was really behind it?

...and is Coors still after Bob Segar & The Silver Bullet Band to license some of their songs to promote that swill they call beer?

n2ize
11-15-2014, 08:55 PM
I doubt if Paul Revere & the Raiders represent the extreme counter culture that the Sex Pistols did. I think the Sex Pistols where completely ensconced in the system they seemed to hate. They laughed all the way to the bank, sans Sid. We all know he probably murdered his girlfriend, Nancy with a knife, and later offed himself with a heroin overdose. Seems he did not understand where reality begins, and an act ends, or he was really a sociopath.

I doubt he deliberately offed himself. They probably dried him out in jail somewhat, sometimes they give them a little bit of methadone do ease the withdrawal while they are in jail. Sometimes they give them nothing.. Either way they lose their tolerance fast. Then when they go out and cop some kick ass dope and take their usual size fix they can't tolerate it and often they OD even before they can get the spike out of their arm. It may have very well be an unintentional OD.

I think there was a time where a corporation would never even consider using the music from a band with such negative energy to sell cars. Perhaps the target audience is gen xers who many not be totally aware of the story behind the commercial's jingle. When I hear "Anarchy in the UK" as a commercial jingle for some sports drink, I will be completely convinced I am right.

Business will use whatever it takes to sell a product. They know their target audience and they know what will grab their attention. There is good reason they chose the version with Sid as opposed to the Sinatra version. They are aiming for a specific target.

KC2UGV
11-15-2014, 10:17 PM
...When I hear "Anarchy in the UK" as a commercial jingle for some sports drink, I will be completely convinced I am right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwGndfR4l4

"You don't live you life by lyrics. What the fuck is up with the English bullshit?!?!?!"

suddenseer
11-16-2014, 12:40 PM
I doubt he deliberately offed himself. They probably dried him out in jail somewhat, sometimes they give them a little bit of methadone do ease the withdrawal while they are in jail. Sometimes they give them nothing.. Either way they lose their tolerance fast. Then when they go out and cop some kick ass dope and take their usual size fix they can't tolerate it and often they OD even before they can get the spike out of their arm. It may have very well be an unintentional OD.

To my understanding, that is exactly what happened. i believe it was ruled an 'accidental overdose'. He still died by his own hand. I have never done heroin, so I am ignorant to it's personal realities.

Business will use whatever it takes to sell a product. They know their target audience and they know what will grab their attention. There is good reason they chose the version with Sid as opposed to the Sinatra version. They are aiming for a specific target.

Yep, The Sinatra crowd are watching this from a nursing home. In 20 years perhaps Sid will be singing the praises of Depends undergarments, worn "My Way".

n2ize
11-18-2014, 01:46 PM
To my understanding, that is exactly what happened. i believe it was ruled an 'accidental overdose'. He still died by his own hand. I have never done heroin, so I am ignorant to it's personal realities.

It's simple really. Over time your body builds up a tolerance so a person with a high tolerance can tolerate a dose that would easily kill a person with no tolerance. When a person with a high tolerance is abruptly withdrawn from the drug, such as a stay in jail, the tolerance subsides rapidly to the point where the body can no longer tolerate the same dose. If a person is going to go back to using heroin after a period of withdrawal they should take a much lower dose than they were previously used to. If they take the same dose they were originally used to they can OD.

This is also true in medical settings. If a perwson is undergoing opiate therapy and the therapy is stopped and then restarted again at a later time the doctors have to be careful to administer a smaller dose as the build up of tolerance occurs in medical therapy as well.

Yep, The Sinatra crowd are watching this from a nursing home. In 20 years perhaps Sid will be singing the praises of Depends undergarments, worn "My Way".

Hah... most likely.