PDA

View Full Version : Got any "It's a Small World" stories?

XE1/N5AL
11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Here's my most recent one (happened today):

We live in Guadalajara for most of the year. Today, the wife and I went into a Guadalajara furniture store to buy new living room furniture for another house we have, in the town of Puerto Vallarta. Puerto Vallarta is on the Mexican Pacific Coast, about 150 miles west of Guadalajara (as the crow flies).

We could have just bought furniture in Puerto Vallarta, but the selection and prices are much better here in Guadalajara. Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico; while Puerto Vallarta is a tourist town, where most things are imported from Guadalajara, and beyond.

Anyway, we found and bought the furniture we wanted. Next, the salesman needed long-distance delivery directions to our Puerto Vallarta house. We talked about stuff like: street names, left turns, right turns, well-known landmarks and even a discription of the house, itself. The furniture store owner was listening in, and she stated: "I know exactly where your house is. My sister lives in Puerto Vallarta, and from these directions: she is your next door neighbor, on the left side!" Who gnu? I have been neighbors with the store owner's sister for the past fourteen years.

NA4BH
11-06-2014, 10:49 PM
I was in Key West getting ready to take the tourist picture of my wife next to the "Most Southern Point" thingy, when some guy came and said he would take the picture of the two of us. After chatting with him, I learned he graduated two years ahead of me from the same High School. We had mutual friends.

K7SGJ
11-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Deja Vu. I was about to take my wife's picture by a famous landmark, too. A guy offered to take a pictue of both of us. The fucker ran off with my camera and my wife. Bastid.

NA4BH
11-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Geeze, did you back up the memory stick before he got the camera?

K7SGJ
11-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Geeze, did you back up the memory stick before he got the camera?

I am still using 120 film in my Brownie.

NA4BH
11-06-2014, 11:09 PM

So you had to drop your pants and bend over to take a picture?

K7SGJ
11-06-2014, 11:13 PM
So you had to drop your pants and bend over to take a picture?

Yeah, and the photos are all pretty shitty, too.

KG4NEL
11-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Deja Vu. I was about to take my wife's picture by a famous landmark, too. A guy offered to take a pictue of both of us. The fucker ran off with my camera and my wife. Bastid.

Let me guess, you'll miss the camera?

n2ize
11-07-2014, 03:58 AM

I had a "Hawkeye" when I was a kid that used 120 film. It also used AG1 and AG1B flashbulbs. I took a lot of pics with that camera,

KG4CGC
11-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I had a good story too but I'll have to think of it as soon as I remember it.
The furniture store sister lady thingy was a good one though.

K7SGJ
11-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Let me guess, you'll miss the camera?

Well, you know how hard it is to replace a camera.

K4PIH
11-07-2014, 11:19 AM
I'll try to make this one short. Back when I was in Korea, the Armed forces entertainment group brought Paul Revere and the raiders to my remote mountain top in 1988. Got to meet the band yada yada. Fast forward to 1996. I was stationed in Vegas and drove to Boise to see an old military buddy. We went to a 4th of july parade and walking back to the car in the dark, my bud says hey that guy over there is yelling at you. I looked and saw this guy waving me over so I went to the fence in front of the house. It was Paul Revere himself. He remembered me from that Korean mountain top.

NQ6U
11-07-2014, 12:05 PM
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

—Steven Wright

XE1/N5AL
11-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Ok, here's another one:

1985: I bought an old, damaged pool table and spent some time restoring it. I used it for about a year. Then, I got married and quickly found out that there was no room in my house for both a wife and a pool table. She wanted to set up her dining room furniture in the space occupied by the pool table. Fortunately, my parents had just finished building a game room and a spare bed room in their basement. They were happy to accept the pool table, and they enjoyed it for a few years.

1991: My parents decided to sell their house. They got an offer from an Atlanta Falcons rookie by the name of Brett Favre. As part of the offer, young Brett also wanted the pool table. My mom called me to ask if that was ok, as technically, the table was still mine. Not wanting to stand in the way of a sale, I agreed. The home/pool table sale was made.

2012: I decided to sell my house, in Atlanta. At the closing, both the buyer and his wife were dressed like hardcore Green Bay fans. It turns out that he had been the Assistant Director of College Scouting for the Packers, and had just accepted the position as Director of College Scouting for the Oakland Raiders. His job required a lot of travel, so he was at liberty to live wherever he wanted. His wife was originally from the Atlanta area, so they decided to make the move from Wisconsin to warmer environs, where his wife had friends and family. Living close to the SEC schools was probably another good reason for their move.

So, while we were all still at the closing, I recounted my story about Brett Favre, my parent's house and the pool table. Then, the buyer told me that his father, a former pro-football player, had also worked in the Green Bay Packers administration and was the guy who recruited Brett Favre from Atlanta, to Green Bay. ...As they say, the rest is history.

KG4NEL
11-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Well, you know how hard it is to replace a camera.

I sold my Contax RTS, I know :(

Was a sad day when I realized 35mm wasn't practical anymore...

KG4NEL
11-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Then again, girlfriends/wives are hardly practical, but you don't need a separate, darkened room full of chemicals to get the end result.

I mean, unless you're into that sort of thing.

KG4NEL
11-07-2014, 01:52 PM
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

—Steven Wright

I used to work with a construction manager who said the Sherwin-Williams logo had sinister overtones for him.

Looking at it now, I understand...

W3WN
11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Deja Vu. I was about to take my wife's picture by a famous landmark, too. A guy offered to take a pictue of both of us. The fucker ran off with my camera and my wife. Bastid.I'll bet you really miss that camera, too. :evil:

Never mind, I see someone beat me to it. Bastid.

W3WN
11-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Then again, girlfriends/wives are hardly practical, but you don't need a separate, darkened room full of chemicals to get the end result.
< snip >Depends on the chemicals.

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" -- Willie (Gene Wilder) Wonka

K4PIH
11-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker, you can drinnk all the liquor down in Costa Rica, ain't no bodies business but my own!

Moby Grape

Depends on the chemicals.

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" -- Willie (Gene Wilder) Wonka

K7SGJ
11-07-2014, 03:00 PM

I mean, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Especially if you have one or more of each.

kb2vxa
11-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker, you can drinnk all the liquor down in Costa Rica, ain't no bodies business but my own!

Moby Grape

Moby who? This next song is a funny little song about snow in the desert. Taj Mahal.