PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong 7.023 MHz QRP Transceivers

W3WN
11-06-2014, 08:38 AM
For the last few months, at least, there has been a virtual horde of QRP transceivers, primarily centered on 7.023 MHz, available on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAM-RADIO-40M-CW-Shortwave-Transmitter-Receiver-7-023-7-026MHz-QRP-Pixie-Kit-DIY-/181449222712?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120 for one example, amongst many

Most of them are coming from Hong Kong or China.

Prices range from a couple of bucks to as much as $60, depending on the model, how far along the assembly is, and whether or not it includes a case.

I'm curious. Anyone ever purchase one of these, or know of someone who did, and if so, what were the results?

... and for under $8 including shipping? I'm giving this one a try. Not expecting much, but what the heck, could be fun.

Thoughts?

KC2UGV
11-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Just looking from a top-up view of the board, it looks like a tweaked pixie II. In which case, it'd be worth it, as a Pixie kit is about $8 shipped, and it doesn't come with headphone and key jacks, or an antenna connection. You have to bring those yourself.

wa6mhz
11-06-2014, 10:46 AM
It does look like a cute little rig
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQxWDU3Ng==/z/iqQAAOSwPe1UKXHO/$_1.JPG

K7SGJ
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
The only problem is that when you call CQ Contest it really sends......CQ大赛

W3WN
11-06-2014, 12:34 PM
The only problem is that when you call CQ Contest it really sends......CQ大赛Nah.

The only problem is that after you make a QSO with it, an hour later, you're hungry for another one!

W3WN
11-06-2014, 12:36 PM
It does look like a cute little rig
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQxWDU3Ng==/z/iqQAAOSwPe1UKXHO/$_1.JPGYes, it does.

I'm a little tempted, once I have a look at the rig, to pick up a few and try to resell them at a hamfest, for a couple of bucks.

I can see one possible mod already... I'll have to find a way to put a crystal socket on the board, so that you can easily change frequencies, should you so desire. I may also want to bring the key, antenna, and power connectors off the board so that it could be put in a little case.

But one thing at a time. First I have to see how bad my soldering skills are...

KJ3N
11-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Thoughts?

Too low in the band. No mic input. :neener:

K7SGJ
11-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Too low in the band. No mic input. :neener:

No problem. A Swan 410 VFO, and a push pull 807 modulator, and away you go. This, however, will shorten the life of the 9 volt battery a little.

W3WN
11-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Too low in the band. No mic input. :neener:Right.

That reminds me, you going to be on SS SSB next weekend? I need DE on 20 meters...

X-Rated
11-07-2014, 07:42 AM
The oscillator is a Pierce style. I can't remember what the load caps are but you can replace them with something like 8pF or 5.6 pF to get a larger tuning range with what you have to work with. It will increase the frequency, but you get a larger tuning range.

KJ3N
11-07-2014, 09:11 AM
That reminds me, you going to be on SS SSB next weekend? I need DE on 20 meters...

Not planning on it. I did my Clean Sweep 2 years ago. Haven't been on since.

If you care to let me know when and where on 20m, I'll try to stop by.

W3WN
11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Not planning on it. I did my Clean Sweep 2 years ago. Haven't been on since.

If you care to let me know when and where on 20m, I'll try to stop by.Yes, and one has to admire the way that you got a "back door" WAS via your Clean Sweep.

I will be QRV sometime this evening. Don't know exactly when yet. The Boss is going to some sort of Mary Kay event, Little Miss Field Day is having a couple friends over -- one of them claims to have NEVER seen Blazing Saddles before, can you believe it? -- so I'm expected to make myself scarce.

After I buy the girls a couple of pizzas, of course.

K7SGJ
11-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes, and one has to admire the way that you got a "back door" WAS via your Clean Sweep.

I will be QRV sometime this evening. Don't know exactly when yet. The Boss is going to some sort of Mary Kay event, Little Miss Field Day is having a couple friends over -- one of them claims to have NEVER seen Blazing Saddles before, can you believe it? -- so I'm expected to make myself scarce.

After I buy the girls a couple of pizzas, of course.

What are you going to do if LMFD come up to you and says "They said you was hung"?

NQ6U
11-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Only one thing he can say:

“And they was right!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIV4YJfTWoU

W3WN
11-07-2014, 06:24 PM
What are you going to do if LMFD come up to you and says "They said you was hung"?Nothing.

Her friends bailed. Seems that their grandfather showed up and is taking their family out to dinner.

So if it's just the two of us... she'll be watching Spaceballs, I'll be trying to work the FT4

KG4CGC
11-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Backdoor WAS, huh? Worked @$$ Severely?

W3WN
11-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Backdoor WAS, huh? Worked @$$ Severely?Nah.

Jim found what may be the only way for a US or VE station to legitimately get an ARRL acknowledgment of WAS without joining the League.

One of these:

Also, if he won the Delaware Section for his class & power level, it would also be indicated on his certificate.

W3WN
11-22-2014, 05:24 PM
The good news:

The kit arrived today in the mail.

The bad news:

ONLY the kit arrive in the mail. No instructions. Nada. Not even a parts layout.

Nice.

I guess for under $8, by expecting an extra sheet of paper, I was expecting too much.

n2ize
11-22-2014, 09:20 PM
When I was in high school a ham radio friend built a single transistor flea power 1/2 watt cw transmitter for 40 meters from a schematic he found in a ham radio projects book. It was pretty awesome when he told a station halfway around the world that he was running a half watt built with a transistor and a few parts salvaged from junked consumer portable radios.

I tried building a 3 tube 10 watt cw transmitter for 40 and 80 meters using junkbox parts and a few parts from surplus shops down on Canal Street NYC. I never got it to work right though. In those days my skills at laying out components was rather poor.

Guess I should have grounded the B++. :snicker:

kb2vxa
11-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Or for AM you can't over modulate no matter how hard you try just turn the circuit upside down.

KG4CGC
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
The good news:

The kit arrived today in the mail.

The bad news:

ONLY the kit arrive in the mail. No instructions. Nada. Not even a parts layout.

Nice.

I guess for under $8, by expecting an extra sheet of paper, I was expecting too much.

Surely an online search will turn up some info.

W3WN
11-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Surely an online search will turn up some info.It will... as long as you can read Chinese.

And don't call me Shirley. ( I am not my mother! )