PDA

View Full Version : One half of Click and Clack is Gone

WØTKX
11-03-2014, 05:46 PM
http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77

Tom Magliozzi, one half of the wisecracking Car Talk duo known as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers," has died from complications of Alzheimer's disease. He was 77.

Car Talk Executive Producer Doug Berman sent this note Monday:

"I have the sad duty to report today that Tom Magliozzi, one of the hosts of Car Talk, passed away this morning due to complications of Alzheimer's Disease.

"Tom's been such a dominant, positive personality amongst us for so long that all of us in the public radio family — and I include our millions of listeners — will find this news very difficult to receive."

Magliozzi and his co-host brother, Ray, began the show at WBUR in Boston in 1977, taking it to the NPR network, and a national audience, a decade later. In 2012, the brothers announced they were retiring from the show, and it has been heard in reruns on NPR member stations since then.

K7SGJ
11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I just heard that on NPR. What a sad day. Those two really made my Saturdays. I know they either did or were going to retire. He will be very much missed.

RIP Tom, and don't drive like your brother.

NQ6U
11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I guess he won't be driving like his brother any more. RIP, Tom.

N2CHX
11-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Awww, that's too bad. Rest in peace. Loved that show. Funny as hell.

KU0DM
11-03-2014, 09:58 PM
As far back as I can remember, those two were always on in our house or in the car. I rarely understood what they were talking about, but their laugh and goofiness was always infectious, and going back and listening to them now I realize what comedic geniuses they were (as well as straight up geniuses).

Even death can't keep brothers from making fun of each other, as Ray said "it turns out he really couldn't remember the puzzler from last week". RIP.

WØTKX
11-03-2014, 10:21 PM
They have been doing reruns for about two years, and Ray wants them to continue as a tribute.

Both of them got degrees from MIT... I have been a staunch fan of the show since it started.

Heck, I like all the NPR shows, Science Friday is probably my current favorite.

KG4CGC
11-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I remember the one about Mylanta in the crankcase of a BMW.

WØTKX
11-04-2014, 09:51 PM
I just LOL'd like Ray at that one. :)

n6hcm
11-04-2014, 11:03 PM
you should listen to today's "fresh air." terri gross did a tribute to tom--most of the show was a repeat of an previous interview, but there was also a conversation with the producer of "car talk" recorded yesterday that was pretty illustrative.

also, now i know which one was tom and which one was ray. hard to tell one from the other on the radio ...