PDA

View Full Version : CQWW SSB...

KG4NEL
10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Less than a week to go. In my infinite wisdom I actually said "yes" to volunteering to run a half dozen stints in a two-op station; my first exposure to top-level contesting. I've used this particular station for state QSO parties and such, but never a full 48-hour operation.

What did I get into... :yum::wtf:

N7YA
10-20-2014, 07:42 PM
I will have probably a total of 4 hours to devote to this one. But if i can snag just ONE all time new one, that will make it all worth while. Hell, ill be happy with some new band countries!

KG4NEL
10-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Whew.

W3WN
10-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I will have probably a total of 4 hours to devote to this one. But if i can snag just ONE all time new one, that will make it all worth while. Hell, ill be happy with some new band countries!
I heard you a few times, usually calling someone else.

Have fun? (I did, at least during the few hours I was on)

N7YA
10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
I heard you a few times, usually calling someone else.

Have fun? (I did, at least during the few hours I was on)

You heard me in there? :lol: Yeah, i had whatever fun i could grab from the time allowed.

I decided to run 10 meters...about 75 watts to an Inverted Vee and managed 8 contacts. Got KL7, VK4, XE, LU, JA, P4, VE and the best one was VK9LM, Lord Howe for a new one on 10.

So i would say i did as well as expected. Im not on SSB very often at all. But i do plan on making a much bigger splash next month in the CW test. :yes:

KG4NEL
10-27-2014, 06:38 PM
10 was insane.

I was on 15 for most of the time that 10 was wide-open to JA and most of SE Asia...something like a 350+ 10-minute QSO rate vs. my 150+ QSO rate on 15 :D

Funniest part was when I got called by VK9XSP off the back of the beam Sunday afternoon. I was happily running into EU, just cleaning up what points I could get, and I hear this really weak VK. Only after I finished did the station owner tell me that yeah, that one was kind of rare, lol.

N7YA
10-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Im having a hell of a time chasing down that VK9X! Every time i find them, they are too weak, or the pile is reall big, or they simply arent there...i think i have a few more days to put them in the log. I just need one!

kd6nig
10-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I made 27 contacts through the entire thing. Didn't have much time.

But a few ATNOs for me :)

N7YA
10-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Thats great! ATNO's are my main goal in these things, but im happy with NBC's too...got only one. What new ones did you snag?

W3WN
10-29-2014, 07:28 AM
You heard me in there? :lol: Yeah, i had whatever fun i could grab from the time allowed.

I decided to run 10 meters...about 75 watts to an Inverted Vee and managed 8 contacts. Got KL7, VK4, XE, LU, JA, P4, VE and the best one was VK9LM, Lord Howe for a new one on 10.

So i would say i did as well as expected. Im not on SSB very often at all. But i do plan on making a much bigger splash next month in the CW test. :yes:Sounds like a plan.

Now, if I can just get the 43 foot mast fixed up to be a vertical, and you can find a few minutes during the 'test to be on 160...

I'll not only send a QSL card, I'll send cookies!

N7YA
10-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a plan.

Now, if I can just get the 43 foot mast fixed up to be a vertical, and you can find a few minutes during the 'test to be on 160...

I'll not only send a QSL card, I'll send cookies!

Hell, i'll burn out the inductor in my 949 for some fresh baked chocolate chips!

kd6nig
10-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Thats great! ATNO's are my main goal in these things, but im happy with NBC's too...got only one. What new ones did you snag?

JA and Sweden have confirmed.

I've only been a General a few months though. Only have access to 10/20 right now as well.

I'm hoping to get confirmation on a Mexico, Brazil, and a Puerto Rico I have in the log as well.

I also got a Canada on 10. I had them on 20 though. They confirmed as well.

I heard a China too, but the pile was unreal. Couldn't get that one. Was on Sunday on 10. Oh well, another contest coming soon. But for me, those ones are exciting.

N7YA
10-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Thats a fun time to be a ham...one with new HF privies! Almost everything you log is a new something or other. Its like you cant turn around without logging a new country, state, zone, prefix, IOTA, etc...or a new band of something you already have. I looked back on my logbook from when i returned to the air in '96 from the states, everything had "NEW" next to it. Ive been DXing since 1983, but Alaska counts as a separate country. Once i moved down here, i had to start all over...thats cool by me! :)

It seems that these days theres a Dxpedition every week. I cant recall ever losing interest in this hobby.

edit: ....no way in hell i will miss CQWW CW! Its the main one i always look forward to. See ya there!

KG4NEL
10-30-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't think I made one QSO as a General, oddly enough. When I was upgrading in the mid '00s, I was pretty much off the air completely.

K7SGJ
10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
When I upgraded, I was too busy walking uphill in the snow, both ways, in the Arizona desert, to even think about getting on the air.

N7YA
10-30-2014, 07:40 PM
I was an advanced class for about 30 minutes. Just long enough to pass those elements then take the extra....i had no qso's as an advanced.

K7SGJ
10-30-2014, 09:00 PM
I was an advanced class for about 30 minutes. Just long enough to pass those elements then take the extra....i had no qso's as an advanced.

And you'll never know what you missed.

N7YA
10-31-2014, 04:27 AM
And you'll never know what you missed.

<sigh> I know....it haunts me to this day.

KG4NEL
10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
And now your chance is lost forever!

Granted, there are still Novices out there :-P