PDA

View Full Version : "For Rent" Ad

NQ6U
10-17-2014, 11:22 PM
While I was writing up an ad to rent out the other side of the duplex, the XYL felt it necessary to warn me not to include anything that might run afoul of any anti-discrimination laws—like I was gonna do that—then she asked to see what I wrote just to be sure. You all know me well enough by now that it should come as no surprise that I quickly added "White heterosexual Christians of western European ancestry only" to the end of the real ad copy.

She didn't think it was funny, but it got me thinking—how many Fair Housing laws I could break in as few words as possible? This is what I came up with:

"Only white, single, able-bodied heterosexual Christians of western European ancestry under 35 with no children need apply. Proof of citizenship required"

Did I miss anything?

W5BRM
10-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Of a suitable mental stature?

W7XF
10-18-2014, 01:27 AM
I dunno about the law in 6-land...but "Proof of Legal Immigration Status" is acceptable (required?) here in the Pizza Oven.

K7SGJ
10-18-2014, 09:07 AM
While I was writing up an ad to rent out the other side of the duplex, the XYL felt it necessary to warn me not to include anything that might run afoul of any anti-discrimination laws—like I was gonna do that—then she asked to see what I wrote just to be sure. You all know me well enough by now that it should come as no surprise that I quickly added "White heterosexual Christians of western European ancestry only" to the end of the real ad copy.

She didn't think it was funny, but it got me thinking—how many Fair Housing laws I could break in as few words as possible? This is what I came up with:

"Only white, single, able-bodied heterosexual Christians of western European ancestry under 35 with no children need apply. Proof of citizenship required"

Did I miss anything?

Males only.

WX7P
10-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Did I miss anything?

If it's a beach home, "locals only"

KG4NEL
10-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Did I miss anything?

FWIW, there's far more discrimination against single people than married people with kids.

KG4NEL
10-18-2014, 09:32 AM
I would add proof of HIV status, last two Presidential votes, and QRZ username...

;)

WX7P
10-18-2014, 09:37 AM
I would add proof of HIV status, last two Presidential votes, and QRZ username...

;)
Must be zed premium subscriber...

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Males only.

Oops. That was in the original but I forgot to include it when I wrote it here. So, with that and the other additions suggested here, it should read:

"Only white, single, able-bodied, HIV negative heterosexual Christian males of western European ancestry under 35 with no children need apply. Proof of citizenship required."

I should probably ask for their Facebook password as well.

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 11:11 AM
I dunno about the law in 6-land...but "Proof of Legal Immigration Status" is acceptable (required?) here in the Pizza Oven.

The city of Escondido tried passing a law to that effect a few years back. The ACLU took them to court over it and the city lost big time.

KG4CGC
10-18-2014, 07:42 PM
No Irish!

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 08:01 PM
No Irish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0BcQTIr4c

NA4BH
10-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Oops. That was in the original but I forgot to include it when I wrote it here. So, with that and the other additions suggested here, it should read:

"Only white, single, able-bodied, HIV negative heterosexual Christian males of western European ancestry under 35 with no children need apply. Proof of citizenship required."

I should probably ask for their Facebook password as well.

You left out, "Must have seaworthy boat and truck to haul it (bait shop owner is a plus)".

K7SGJ
10-21-2014, 09:01 PM
You left out, "Must have seaworthy boat and truck to haul it (bait shop owner is a plus)".

That sounds a little fishy.

NA4BH
10-21-2014, 09:07 PM
It hooked you, didn't it?

K7SGJ
10-21-2014, 09:14 PM
It hooked you, didn't it?

I can't be baited.

NA4BH
10-21-2014, 09:24 PM
What would lure you?

K7SGJ
10-21-2014, 09:32 PM
What would lure you?

A treble hooker.

NA4BH
10-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I do have a reply to that but it's in bad taste and I'd have to ban myself.

K7SGJ
10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
I do have a reply to that but it's in bad taste and I'd have to ban myself.

Go for it. I want to see some stern moderation. Or maybe even some poop-deck moderation.

KK4AMI
10-22-2014, 05:36 AM

Did I miss anything?

If you want to really launch your wife into the ceiling! "Single Female between the ages of 18 and 40. Willing to trade occasionally for Rent!" :lol:

kb2vxa
10-22-2014, 09:50 AM
13264If you put a picture in the ad check what's outside the window before you send it off to the printer, this guy didn't.

W3NCH
10-23-2014, 03:22 AM
too bad you're not in Colorado, I need a new place to live. hee hee

K7SGJ
10-23-2014, 08:50 AM

C'mon, be a pal. You can commute.

NQ6U
10-23-2014, 09:45 AM

I dunno. Two hams in one duplex, it might exceed critical nerd mass.

K7SGJ
10-23-2014, 10:37 AM

But you can share an antenna. You can hook up your receiver while she is transmitting. Of course your S meter will be registering RPM and not signal strength.

wa6mhz
10-23-2014, 12:24 PM
I can't be baited.

I'm a MASTER at fish lure prepraration!!!

wa6mhz
10-23-2014, 12:25 PM

certainly some QRM when they are both running a KILLERWATT!!

W3NCH
10-23-2014, 12:27 PM
hee hee
I could help with contests! pile ups! YAY!

NQ6U
10-23-2014, 01:29 PM
hee hee
I could help with contests! pile ups! YAY!

Two words here: Six Land.

Six Landers are never on the receiving end of a pile-up.

KG4NEL
10-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Two words here: Six Land.

Six Landers are never on the receiving end of a pile-up.

Not even in the CAQP when the county consists of one stoned guy and a burro?

n2ize
10-23-2014, 10:32 PM
What are you renting ?

K7SGJ
10-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Not even in the CAQP when the county consists of one stoned guy and a burro?

Hello

Forget the burro. I want a taco.

NQ6U
10-23-2014, 11:09 PM
What are you renting ?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/apa/4720890809.html

W7XF
10-23-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm surprised that CaliFAILia allows landlords to refuse Section 8.

NQ6U
10-23-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm surprised that CaliFAILia allows landlords to refuse Section 8.

No state can force landlords to accept Section 8 although in some you're not allowed to say that you don't accept it in the ad. California is not one of those states.

That said, we had intended to accept it at first until we looked at what's involved. In my opinion, getting a rental approved for Section 8 requires you to give up way too much personal information. They want to see income records back a number of years, tax returns etc. They also want to be able to do periodic inspections without notice. We decided that we'd rather just have someone in there who has a job.

K7SGJ
10-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Damn, the Army I was in had a whole different grasp on what they considered section 8.

W3NCH
10-23-2014, 11:49 PM
I do not know this term, "Six Land"

VE7MGF
10-24-2014, 07:33 AM
do you charge extra for a stove ?:-D

NQ6U
10-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I do not know this term, "Six Land"

You bettah off, says K-J SIX B-S-O.

W3NCH
10-24-2014, 09:43 AM
ah hee hee :)

KG4NEL
10-27-2014, 02:20 PM
That said, we had intended to accept it at first until we looked at what's involved. In my opinion, getting a rental approved for Section 8 requires you to give up way too much personal information. They want to see income records back a number of years, tax returns etc. They also want to be able to do periodic inspections without notice. We decided that we'd rather just have someone in there who has a job.

You also have to follow their eviction requirements if it comes to that, as opposed to state procedures - which are usually pretty landlord friendly as long as you don't change the locks and cut the power off.