PDA

View Full Version : CQ Won't Recognize Crimean Stations with Russian Calls

W3WN
10-17-2014, 12:59 PM
http://www.arrl.org/news/cq-will-not-accept-logs-from-stations-in-crimea-using-russian-issued-call-signs

"CQ has announced that it will no longer accept logs for any CQ-sponsored contest from stations in Crimea operating with Russian-issued call signs.

< snip >See also http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/ for their full announcement

NQ6U
10-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Dumb move. They shouldn't let politics enter into this sort of thing.

K7SGJ
10-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Bastids

WØTKX
10-17-2014, 01:37 PM
For Crimean out loud! :roll:

PA5COR
10-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Oh, cry me a river....

XE1/N5AL
10-17-2014, 08:47 PM
That's certainly going to leave a bruise! The CQ World Wide DX SSB Contest is only eight days away. Putin needs to act fast to re-evaluate his Crimean priorities! :)

WX7P
10-18-2014, 05:25 AM
Dumb move. They shouldn't let politics enter into this sort of thing.

It's always apolitical until the wingers want to make a political statement.

Back in the 80's, ham stations were running traffic for Lithuanians seeking to separate from the USSR. I wrote a letter to QST which they printed (3 months later) stating I felt that was an inappropriate use of ham radio. Of course, they printed a response the next issue from a noted contester K1 something saying that situation was "different". His logic made no sense. It was something along the line of "because commies".

I think my letter made reference to the howling that would have gone on in the ham community if we had run traffic for the Sandanistas in 1978 in Nicaragua.

The K1 station's name was Tom and the call was a 1x2. I wish I could remember who he was. I did work him later when I was portable in Nevada. That was an interesting conversation.

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 11:21 AM
It's always apolitical until the wingers want to make a political statement.

Back in the 80's, ham stations were running traffic for Lithuanians seeking to separate from the USSR. I wrote a letter to QST which they printed (3 months later) stating I felt that was an inappropriate use of ham radio. Of course, they printed a response the next issue from a noted contester K1 something saying that situation was "different". His logic made no sense. It was something along the line of "because commies".

I think my letter made reference to the howling that would have gone on in the ham community if we had run traffic for the Sandanistas in 1978 in Nicaragua.

The K1 station's name was Tom and the call was a 1x2. I wish I could remember who he was. I did work him later when I was portable in Nevada. That was an interesting conversation.

Yeah, I'll bet it was :mrgreen:

I've already posted my opinion on the whole Ukraine thing so I won't go into it except to say that, while I think Putin is an asshole, what he's done there isn't any different than what any other leader of a major nation would have done in similar circumstances and that CQ is out of line with their decision to punish hams with Russian-issued calls who live in the Crimea.

W3WN
10-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Dumb move. They shouldn't let politics enter into this sort of thing.Well, someone (NOT ME) posted a link to this on the CQ Contest email reflector, and it has gotten QUITE nasty with the finger pointing and name calling.

I'm actually surprised that the mods have let this go on as long as it has. Of course, they have to approve all posts, so I can just imagine what has NOT been passed through.

There are clearly two camps on this.

One side says, Crimea is part of the Ukraine, therefore, "Russian" calls for the Crimea are not valid.
The other side says, Crimea is now, again, part of Russia (or controlled by, or), and since it is, the licenses are valid.

There is no middle ground.

There are going to be some hard feelings on the air next week during CQ WW.

I think I'll paint the living room.

N7YA
10-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Let them all argue, i am going to put as many of them into my log as possible because...i ham radio and stuff. :yes:

KG4NEL
10-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Well, someone (NOT ME) posted a link to this on the CQ Contest email reflector, and it has gotten QUITE nasty with the finger pointing and name calling.

This is how I know I'll never make a great DXer. I just can't summon more than a "meh" for this.

KG4CGC
10-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Oh for fawks sake. What are they supposed to do over there? Hate Putin harder?

K7SGJ
10-20-2014, 10:16 PM

Hide his horse.

KG4CGC
10-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Hide his horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LSEa7qc_xU

K7SGJ
10-20-2014, 11:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LSEa7qc_xU

Oh oh, too late.

W3WN
10-21-2014, 07:06 PM
From: CQ-Contest[mailto:cq-contest-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Randy Thompson K5ZD
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:40 PM
To: 'Contest Reflector'
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ Reconsiders Policy on Crimea in CQ Contests

The following will be released on the CQ Newsroom later this evening.
Please pass the word to contesters in your region.

CQ Reconsiders Policy on Crimea in CQ Contests

In response to requests from a large number of contesters around the world,CQ has reconsidered its decision regarding the acceptance of logs fromstations in Crimea in CQ-sponsored contests.

As CQ Publisher Dick Ross, K2MGA, explained, "a large portion of the contesting community felt that we were unfairly denying our fellow amateurs in Crimea of the opportunity to fully participate in our contests. Since the country list for CQ contests is based on a combination of the Worked All Europe (WAE) and ARRL DXCC lists, and the ARRL has already adopted a policy regarding Crimean stations in its award and contest programs, we will amend our policy to be consistent with the ARRL's DXCC policy."

"Therefore, the listings of Crimean stations submitting logs for CQ contests will be based on the call sign under which they have operated. If they used Russian-issued calls in the contest, they will be listed under Russia; if they used Ukrainian-issued calls in the contest, they will be listed under Ukraine. This change reflects not only the desire of many contesters aroundthe world, but also of a large majority of members of the CQ World Wide DX Contest Committee."

N7YA
10-22-2014, 12:41 AM

At least until he figures out how to pride correctly.

Geez Louise! The guy wears his base and liner like a 7th grade girl...someone please instruct the PM how to correctly apply makeup.

WØTKX
10-22-2014, 01:53 AM
Gary Numan and the Tubeway Army? (http://youtu.be/102NNwdI9i0) :shock:

http://youtu.be/102NNwdI9i0

N7YA
10-22-2014, 02:05 AM
Putin would have him arrested for being gay...then go and pose bareback on a horse with a big, long rifle in his hands.

(btw...Gary Numan...not gay)