PDA

View Full Version : I wish I would have had a camera

KØWVM
10-17-2014, 04:26 AM
The family and I were in Italy for a couple of weeks and one day we were in Rome waiting to participate in a guided tour. I came across a building along a street with a door that appeared to have the largest knob I have ever seen a door have. Have to had been at least 6 inches in diameter and it was on a rather large and heavy wooden door.

When I went to grab for my camera, I realized my wife had the other and I had left mine back in the hotel room. (V-8 palm to the head moment) Asked her if she was cool with me getting her camera to capture what I saw, I got a "Ever heard something so stupid, it gives you Forest Whitaker eye" look.

Oh well, I will never forget to bring a camera on a tour again.

K7SGJ
10-17-2014, 08:56 AM
I've heard about those big Italian knobs. Ooooops. Can I say that here?

PA5COR
10-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Saw a few in France on our holliday trips going into the inner city where the houses are 800 - 1100 years old, many with original wooden doors and big knobs.

Easy to open the door with hands full of shopping bags ;)

W7XF
10-17-2014, 02:44 PM
He said KNOB :rofl:

WØTKX
10-17-2014, 03:06 PM
http://www.cairney.com/assets/images/bigKnob.jpg

XE1/N5AL
10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
A big knob, from Rome? Wasn't that a scene in "Life of Brian"?

WØTKX
10-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Bigguth Dickuth.

NQ6U
10-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Bigguth Dickuth.

Don't forget his wife, Incontinentia. Incontinentia Buttocks.

KØWVM
10-17-2014, 04:36 PM
He said KNOB :rofl:

Make that... "the largest knob." :-)

KØWVM
10-17-2014, 04:38 PM
http://www.cairney.com/assets/images/bigKnob.jpg

That's not a knob, that's a rod! HAAAAAAA!

GO BIG RODS!

NA4BH
10-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Ooooops. Can I say that here?

NO

K7SGJ
10-17-2014, 10:51 PM
NO

Well, shit. Let me take that back.

.sbonk nailatI gib

Happy?

n0iu
10-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Our choice of photographic equipment has morphed over the years. Originally of course, I took a good ol' Nikon SLR camera that used something they used to call "film" that you would have to take some place to get "developed" after you got back from your trip. The pictures were OK, but if you wanted to share them, you had to lug around the whole album.

The next step was to get a D-SLR (Nikon of course). The pictures were very good, but I still had to shlep the body, lenses, flash, battery charger, SD cards and all that assorted crap around. And once in a while someone would ask, "Where did you take this picture?" and sometimes we just did not know exactly where.

So the next step would solve two problems. Since the pictures were just for our own posterity and not for any critical use, I bought a small Nikon "point and shoot" with a GPS built in. Plus it would also do video. Compared to the D-SLR, the pictures weren't nearly as good, but they were adequate. But the really cool thing is that when you use the Picasa3® program (which is of course made by Google®), it takes the GPS data and then plugs it into Google® earth and pinpoints the exact (or pretty close to exact) spot where the picture was taken!

The problem was that I still had to haul around a separate camera, albeit a much smaller one than the D-SLR. Plus there were still all of the accoutrements like the spare batteries, SD cards and such.

So finally on our last trip to Quebec (eh!) and New England a couple of weeks ago to go "leafing", we just took our iPhones. This solved yet another problem since my wife would always ask me, "Why didn't you take a picture of that?" Well now she had her own camera!

Problems solved!

K7SGJ
10-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Our choice of photographic equipment has morphed over the years. Originally of course, I took a good ol' Nikon SLR camera that used something they used to call "film" that you would have to take some place to get "developed" after you got back from your trip. The pictures were OK, but if you wanted to share them, you had to lug around the whole album.

The next step was to get a D-SLR (Nikon of course). The pictures were very good, but I still had to shlep the body, lenses, flash, battery charger, SD cards and all that assorted crap around. And once in a while someone would ask, "Where did you take this picture?" and sometimes we just did not know exactly where.

So the next step would solve two problems. Since the pictures were just for our own posterity and not for any critical use, I bought a small Nikon "point and shoot" with a GPS built in. Plus it would also do video. Compared to the D-SLR, the pictures weren't nearly as good, but they were adequate. But the really cool thing is that when you use the Picasa3® program (which is of course made by Google®), it takes the GPS data and then plugs it into Google® earth and pinpoints the exact (or pretty close to exact) spot where the picture was taken!

The problem was that I still had to haul around a separate camera, albeit a much smaller one than the D-SLR. Plus there were still all of the accoutrements like the spare batteries, SD cards and such.

So finally on our last trip to Quebec (eh!) and New England a couple of weeks ago to go "leafing", we just took our iPhones. This solved yet another problem since my wife would always ask me, "Why didn't you take a picture of that?" Well now she had her own camera!

Problems solved!

Taking a boat-load of pictures of cuties on the beach solved that problem for me. She never asks anymore.

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Taking a boat-load of pictures of cuties on the beach solved that problem for me. She never asks anymore.

They have beaches in Arizona? Who gnu?

K7SGJ
10-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Yeah, but it's a dry beach.

XE1/N5AL
10-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Any beaches near that big dam that J. Edgar built?

NQ6U
10-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Yeah, but that's in Nevada.