PDA

View Full Version : new mic

kk4fpx
10-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Hello guys and gals. I have acquired a Yaesu FT-450 recently and really like it. I've always wanted a desk mic so I ordered a Yaesu MD-100 a8x mic for it altho Giga parts had it listed for a FT-450 the paper work that came with it doesn't list the Ft-450 for it so I'm not sure how the switches on the bottom should be set. Anyone have any experience with it ?

NQ6U
10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Those are filter switches that can be used to tailor the mic's response to your voice. The best thing to do would be to have a QSO with a ham who's opinion you trust and play around with the switches to determine which settings make you sound best. Or you could just set the Main Filter Switch (the one on the far left, viewing with the mic held upside down) to the "Bypass" position and not worry about the filters at all.

kk4fpx
10-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Thanks. I didn't know if they all worked on the FT-450AT or not. the paper work that came with it said they wouldn't work on some radios.

NQ6U
10-15-2014, 04:26 PM
They may not, not all radios supply the power needed to run the active filters through the mic jack and I don't know if the FT-450 does or not. If not, it's no big deal--that's why Yaesu included the "Bypass" option.

WØTKX
10-15-2014, 04:30 PM
I have the MD-100 as well, it's a great mic. The audio switches on the bottom will work with any radio that supplies power, providing the radio will support the 100 Hz to 5 kHz full audio passband. It's a really good sounding mic in that position for ragchewing, and the "screaming DX" settings really do give a strong emphasis to the higher frequencies. I've found that turning down the mic gain on the radio a little when using it in that fashion is a good idea.

The collar switch might not change memory channels or tune frequencies if the radio does not support it. I currently use it on my FT-847, but I've used it with the FT-897 and FT-847 rigs, all features supported. You flip/swap the cable on the base of the mic depending on the connecter to the radio; round or square.

Have also used it in my Flex 3000, and it works well. Don't recall if the up/down switch worked, didn't care.

I use Heil dual element mic on the Flex all the time now instead.

kk4fpx
10-15-2014, 04:58 PM
I think all functions work. I'm just going to fool around with it to find the best settings. I qso'ed with the Canary Islands while ago got bad audio report with filter on and low cut switch on 2 switched to THRU and got better report.

WØTKX
10-15-2014, 05:19 PM
If that radio has a monitor function, you can listen to your voice with headphones, it will help. Better, another receiver with headphones, probably without an antenna, set to wide RX. A friend with a Flex or similar can make a recording and play it back for you.

You can also listen to yourself with one of the many on line receivers. The echo effect due to the time delay can be confusing, and since you are limited to 10 meters picking one will be subject to propagation. http://www.globaltuners.com/

kk4fpx
10-20-2014, 07:13 PM
The high emphasis switch, so far seems to be the best setting.

WØTKX
10-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Not surprising, especially on SSB.

I turn it off on FM. Good job. :clap: