PDA

View Full Version : Comet Close Approach to Mars, NASA Spacecraft Looking

N2NH
10-14-2014, 06:36 AM
Discovered last year, comet Sliding Spring (??) will make a very close approach to Mars on Oct 19th.

A comet will give Mars a historically close shave next weekend, and NASA aims to be ready for the dramatic cosmic event.

The space agency has already trained a number of its science assets on Comet Siding Spring (http://www.space.com/20417-collision-course-a-comet-heads-for-mars.html), which will zoom within 87,000 miles (139,500 kilometers) of Mars on Oct. 19 - about one-third the distance between Earth and the moon. And NASA's fleet of Red Planet orbiters and rovers will be watching on the big day, studying the comet and its influence on Mars' atmosphere.

Ought to be interesting to see if the orbiters and rovers there will be able to catch a glimpse of it.

As Comet Nears Mars, NASA Gears Up for Epic Encounter (http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/as_comet_nears_mars_nasa_gears/35535335)

K7SGJ
10-14-2014, 07:28 AM
I'll tell ya, shit like this just blows my mind. I can't even begin to imagine what the capabilities will be 20 years from now.

kb2vxa
10-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Unless Mars passes through the tail 87,000 miles is just a bit too far to affect the atmosphere. Now if it were the New Haven Comet those little green men better known on Earth as greenies would be protesting the Diesel smoke and raising a fuss over CO2 and global warming.

NQ6U
10-14-2014, 09:47 AM
I looked around a bit and can't find info on whether or not this comet will be visible from earth.

On Edit: It may be visible with binoculars from the US in late October through early November (after it passes by Mars). People in the southern hemisphere will have a better view.

K7SGJ
10-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Unless Mars passes through the tail 87,000 miles is just a bit too far to affect the atmosphere. Now if it were the New Haven Comet those little green men better known on Earth as greenies would be protesting the Diesel smoke and raising a fuss over CO2 and global warming.

No big deal. We have a metric shit-ton of Slim Whitman music available.

NQ6U
10-14-2014, 10:49 AM
We had a total lunar eclipse last week and now a comet. Obviously, it's a sign that the gods are angry with us. Time to throw a virgin into the Island Volcano—assuming we can find one.

K7SGJ
10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
We had a total lunar eclipse last week and now a comet. Obviously, it's a sign that the gods are angry with us. Time to throw a virgin into the Island Volcano—assuming we can find one.

Probably in a 2nd or 3rd grade classrooms at an all girl schools, but they don't allow lecherous old men anywhere near the place. Sorry.

kb2vxa
10-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Who said it has to be female?