PDA

View Full Version : Car question!

WX7P
10-12-2014, 09:09 AM
I just bought a 1992 Chevy 1500 Suburban 4x4 here in the Tri-Cities.

It has a 350 motor with 210,000 miles. It was a company vehicle for an aviation company and then owned by a long haul trucker. This trucker's house was immaculate; every tool and machine was spotless in his garage. Everything on the truck works, tires good, no clear coat issues, rust or body damage, so I felt the negotiated price of $1100 was worth the risk.

Naturally, the check engine light went on after driving it for 200 miles. I turned the truck off and the engine light went off. The truck runs great, so it's nothing obvious. I drove the truck some more (another 50 miles) and the light came on again. Same drill, I turned off the truck, restarted it, and the light went out.

I did a little google-fu, but there was nothing directly on point online. There's no performance issues at all. The exhaust DOES smell a little rich on startup, but that goes away as the car gets warmer.

There's many comments online about o2 sensors, ignition module replacement etc, but with the exception of the o2 sensors the online people had performance issues I don't have.

The truck isn't throwing any codes on my reader. I'm completely stumped. I don't want to start replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

Again, the truck runs fine and gets about 18 mpg.

Any ideas?

PA5COR
10-12-2014, 09:20 AM
If the engine light comes on the on board computer should save the fault that causes the computer to put the check engine light on in the first place.

Check engine lights only go on if an sensor notes a impotant ( environmental) deviation is found from the embedded data in the computer.
Might be as simple as a bad contact from a sensor but it can also mean something expensive broke.

Since the light goes out and only after some time comes up again, there is not really anything broken, the light would go on immediately, more loose contact or something like it.

Call the former owner an option and ask if he had that?

K7SGJ
10-12-2014, 09:25 AM
The O2 sensor is about the most common thing I've come across. As I'm sure you know, it could be anything simple from an air filter to most anything major. It might be worth the bux to take it to a shop you trust, where they can put it on a diagnostic computer, look t all the systems, and query the on board computer to see what's triggering the light. Last time I had to do that, it was about $60, and well worth it. It turned out to be a sensor in the exhaust system, and I had the exact same symptom you have. Damn near anything you have to put on a vehicle these days is at least a $100 anyway, so I think the diagnostic charge is money well spent. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

w2amr
10-12-2014, 09:27 AM
I just bought a 1992 Chevy 1500 Suburban 4x4 here in the Tri-Cities.

It has a 350 motor with 210,000 miles. It was a company vehicle for an aviation company and then owned by a long haul trucker. This trucker's house was immaculate; every tool and machine was spotless in his garage. Everything on the truck works, tires good, no clear coat issues, rust or body damage, so I felt the negotiated price of $1100 was worth the risk.

Naturally, the check engine light went on after driving it for 200 miles. I turned the truck off and the engine light went off. The truck runs great, so it's nothing obvious. I drove the truck some more (another 50 miles) and the light came on again. Same drill, I turned off the truck, restarted it, and the light went out.

I did a little google-fu, but there was nothing directly on point online. There's no performance issues at all. The exhaust DOES smell a little rich on startup, but that goes away as the car gets warmer.

There's many comments online about o2 sensors, ignition module replacement etc, but with the exception of the o2 sensors the online people had performance issues I don't have.

The truck isn't throwing any codes on my reader. I'm completely stumped. I don't want to start replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

Again, the truck runs fine and gets about 18 mpg.

Any ideas?
OBD-2 system Jan? Carb or fuel injection?

ad4mg
10-12-2014, 10:26 AM
OBD-2 system Jan? Carb or fuel injection?

That one should be OBD-1, George. Trouble codes can be coaxed from an OBD-1 system without a scanning tool. The SES (check engine) light will flash the trouble code(s) by jumping a couple of terminals in the ALCL (assembly line connection link) under the dash.

Detailed instructions here (including the codes): Checking trouble codes for OBD-I (1988-1995 trucks) (http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660)

WØTKX
10-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Yup on the OBD-1. And if the truck has been sitting for a while without a fill-up, undo the gas cap and equalize the pressure.

Sometimes it's a simple as that. The 350 is one of the best V8's ever made.

So what color is it, and you gonna put leopard seat covers and big rims on it? :stickpoke: :lol:

K7SGJ
10-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Yup on the OBD-1. And if the truck has been sitting for a while without a fill-up, undo the gas cap and equalize the pressure.

Sometimes it's a simple as that. The 350 is one of the best V8's ever made.

So what color is it, and you gonna put leopard seat covers and big rims on it? :stickpoke: :lol:

The dice, don't forget the fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, and the knuckle buster on the steering wheel.

NQ6U
10-12-2014, 11:37 AM
And a little tiny chain steering wheel.

By the way, my little Ford Ranger pickup is a '95 but, according to the manual, it has OBD ll. This makes it somewhat of an aberration as far as I can tell.

KG4NEL
10-12-2014, 12:48 PM
That one should be OBD-1, George. Trouble codes can be coaxed from an OBD-1 system without a scanning tool. The SES (check engine) light will flash the trouble code(s) by jumping a couple of terminals in the ALCL (assembly line connection link) under the dash.

Detailed instructions here (including the codes): Checking trouble codes for OBD-I (1988-1995 trucks) (http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660)

Maybe it's because my CW skills are lacking, but I tried doing that with my '94 Ford and it was an exercise in frustration...was that five quick blips or four :D

KG4NEL
10-12-2014, 12:48 PM
The dice, don't forget the fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, and the knuckle buster on the steering wheel.

I miss my fuzzy dice :(

kb2vxa
10-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Wa ron wichoo main? U fogoh da dingle balls aroun da winshel an da humpy ting dah make da rer en dance!

K7SGJ
10-12-2014, 01:34 PM

By the way, my little Ford Ranger pickup is a '95 but, according to the manual, it has OBD ll. This makes it somewhat of an aberration as far as I can tell.

I always told ALL '95 Ford Ranger PUs were aberrations. Who Gnu?

NQ6U
10-12-2014, 01:41 PM
I always told ALL '95 Ford Ranger PUs owners were aberrations. Who Gnu?

Fixed that for you.

K7SGJ
10-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Fixed that for you.

That was always a given.

WØTKX
10-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Maybe it's because my CW skills are lacking, but I tried doing that with my '94 Ford and it was an exercise in frustration...was that five quick blips or four :D

Last few times I dealt with that I made a little movie with a camera that could, or a smartphone.
You can play back a bunch of times, or dump it to a PC and play it slowly.

w2amr
10-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Detailed instructions here (including the codes): Checking trouble codes for OBD-I (1988-1995 trucks) (http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660) That might be worth a try.

w2amr
10-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Detailed instructions here (including the codes): Checking trouble codes for OBD-I (1988-1995 trucks) (http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/273660) If I remember right , you can do a key on engine running routine with the Ford OBD-1. I'm not sure about GM though.

KG4NEL
10-12-2014, 06:39 PM
If I remember right , you can do a key on engine running routine with the Ford OBD-1. I'm not sure about GM though.

On Fords, at least, there's both an engine on and off test, accessible by shorting pins on the Molex connector that the Ford tool would plug into.

Last few times I dealt with that I made a little movie with a camera that could, or a smartphone.
You can play back a bunch of times, or dump it to a PC and play it slowly.

That's not a bad idea. Will try.

kd6nig
10-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Not sure if it would apply in your case, but Chevys (especially with CA emissions) will throw the check engine light if your gas cap is loose or cracked as well and the "fuel pressure" isn't correct because of it.

I had this problem with a Trailblazer off and on. They even checked the cap but couldn't find anything wrong. I finally just paid the $20 for a new cap. Must have been a leak I couldn't see, because it solved the problem.

W3WN
10-13-2014, 12:37 PM

A Ford Ranger? You have to ask?

WX7P
10-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all your input!

Turns out I was overthinking this problem from the jump.

It WAS the gas cap. The problem is now gone.

w2amr
10-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all your input!

Turns out I was overthinking this problem from the jump.

It WAS the gas cap. The problem is now gone.Good job.:agree:

kd6nig
10-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Glad you got it taken care of. :)

K7SGJ
10-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Son of a bitch. I have no idea why that didn't occur to me. My wife used to have that problem all the time because she'd never put the gas cap on right or tight enough. Good show. You deserve to go treat yourself to a new radio or table saw or something. Or both. How about a radio arm saw?

WX7P
10-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Here's a pic of the beastie:

Which brings to mind a question. The radio had been removed. I didn't really notice at first because I rarely listen to broadcast radio when I'm driving.

Of course, that was the first thing Sarah noticed, no radio.

I'd like to find an old Kenwood RZ-1 receiver.

Anyone got one lying around out there? It would be this one:

WØTKX
10-15-2014, 11:35 AM
It's "gone" but here is a ref for ya...

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold130.html

Buy it Now on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-RZ-1-Scanner-Reciever-/121456347599?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Receivers&hash=item1c475cc9cf

WX7P
10-15-2014, 11:45 AM
It's "gone" but here is a ref for ya...

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold130.html

Buy it Now on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-RZ-1-Scanner-Reciever-/121456347599?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Receivers&hash=item1c475cc9cf

That one looks pretty clean. The other one at twice the price is beat!

I'm not going to go any higher than Universal Radio, but I'll probably bid on the one you posted.

Thanks for the links!

W7XF
10-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Janet....what happened to the new Hyundai??

WX7P
10-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Janet....what happened to the new Hyundai??

Still have it.

We just needed a big vehicle for hauling stuff around.

We were doing this before: