NQ6U
10-10-2014, 12:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDG_WBIQgc

VE7DCW
10-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Bushtit...... ? no ... no, you are correct,it's a hawk for sure..... :yes:

K7SGJ
10-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Great find. Thanks for the post. Maybe we can design some RC hawks to knock down the cops drones, too.

We have a lot of Red Tail Hawks and Peregrine Falcons out here, and watching them hunt is really cool. About a year ago, a Red Tail snatched a good sized rabbit out of the back yard, and flew it up to the top of a telephone pole where he dispatched the rabbit A hell of a task, at best. They usually hunt in groups of three, and the other two hung around watching on some other poles while the one with the rabbit struggled from one pole to another. Probably trying to haul it home. It was really something to watch, and amazed me at the lifting power of their wings.

WØTKX
10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
I've been thinking about getting a quadcopter for a while now.

Hawks or no hawks. :yes:

K7SGJ
10-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I've been thinking about getting a quadcopter for a while now.

Hawks or no hawks. :yes:

I have a small helo with a camera on it that uses micro SD cards. I use it to check the roof for issues. Unfortunately, it isn't nearly as stable a platform as the quads. Yeah, I would like to have one, too. It would be a lot of fun out here in the high desert.

W3WN
10-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Great find. Thanks for the post. Maybe we can design some RC hawks to knock down the cops drones, too.

We have a lot of Red Tail Hawks and Peregrine Falcons out here, and watching them hunt is really cool. About a year ago, a Red Tail snatched a good sized rabbit out of the back yard, and flew it up to the top of a telephone pole where he dispatched the rabbit A hell of a task, at best. They usually hunt in groups of three, and the other two hung around watching on some other poles while the one with the rabbit struggled from one pole to another. Probably trying to haul it home. It was really something to watch, and amazed me at the lifting power of their wings.There's a small family of hawks (I think Red Tails, but I'm no expert) that have been in the area for a few years.

A couple of years ago, they got one of the ducks out of Saw Mill Run.

W2NAP
10-10-2014, 03:19 PM
see lot of hawks around here.

KK4AMI
10-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a small helo with a camera on it that uses micro SD cards. I use it to check the roof for issues. Unfortunately, it isn't nearly as stable a platform as the quads. Yeah, I would like to have one, too. It would be a lot of fun out here in the high desert.

You are a genius!!! A quadcopter to check for issues on the roof and blow leaves out of the gutter! I can get that by the wife :snicker:

W5BRM
10-10-2014, 05:41 PM
dont forget to mention the gopro camera

kb2vxa
10-10-2014, 07:24 PM
That's a strange looking bird, I wonder what it tastes like. <grab chomp crunch> AAAKKK!!! CHEAP CHINESE PLASTIC! <patooie> $(%#&!!!

n2ize
10-12-2014, 11:33 PM
Good thing it was a quadcopter and not a 450 or larger single rotor helicopter in which case you would have had shredded hawk. Heck, those things can chop a mans head off as happened with the guy that was struck in NYC a few years ago. I fly a 250-300 and that thing is pretty scary when it comes close.

kb2vxa
10-13-2014, 09:59 AM
You reminded me of the totally inexperienced VP of the company trying to fly his brand new RC helicopter in the parking lot while I was sitting in my car on lunch break. Blocked in and unable to move it out of the way all I could do was sit there trying to force food past the lump in my throat praying he didn't crash it into my car. Oh as expected he did crash it, thankfully only into the wall of the building next door.

K7SGJ
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Years ago, I took my first RC plane up to this huge parking lot to fly it for the first time. I got the engine sparked up, ran up the engine, started a roll that lasted about 4 inches. It went straight up, did an outside loop (unintended), and at full throttle plus gravity, smashed in to a 6 foot brick wall. They was nothing, and I mean nothing, left that was usable. I would have loved to have had a high speed camera so I could have played it back in slo-mo, and watched the plane compress into nothingness. I could have gotten the same effect by staying home, loading a couple of pounds of C4 in/on the plane, and setting it off. That was a very expensive lesson.

n2ize
10-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Most of the time when I fly my 250-300 size copter I never crash. It's usually hard landings I.e "aborted flights" causing minor nuisance damage like broken blades, bent shafts, broken linkages etc. The nasty thing about a copter hitting someone is that the blades are the first things that make contact. The overall "chopping power" of even a medium sized electric or gas copter is incredibly scary. I always try and maintain a safe distance between me and any spectators. This way the odds are greater I'm will hit the ground before it hits me or anyone else.

kd6nig
10-14-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm wondering if someone flew it near a nest. Birds like that don't care-they will defend it to the end. Quadcopter or other predator.

n2ize
10-19-2014, 02:53 AM
I'm wondering if someone flew it near a nest. Birds like that don't care-they will defend it to the end. Quadcopter or other predator.

+1 could be,

K0RGR
10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Birds can be very territorial. We have regular wars involving our resident bluejays. A big skunk wandered into the yard one day, and the bluejays dive-bombed it for quite a while until it left. Other birds disappear when the jays are out. There are some big birds that the jays avoid, though - owls, hawks, crows and there are eagles in the neighborhood.

n2ize
10-20-2014, 05:10 PM
You reminded me of the totally inexperienced VP of the company trying to fly his brand new RC helicopter in the parking lot while I was sitting in my car on lunch break. Blocked in and unable to move it out of the way all I could do was sit there trying to force food past the lump in my throat praying he didn't crash it into my car. Oh as expected he did crash it, thankfully only into the wall of the building next door.

When we see somebody like that come out to the field to fly we often take bets on how many seconds his copter will last. Usually in the range of 5 seconds or less. They usually have some nice expensive equipment all nice and new and shiny... like a knight in shining armour armed with a cause and a mission. They often shun help or insist on going it on their own shunning most of the advice we give them about starting off slow and avoiding costly mistakes. They seldom get more than 6-12 inches off the ground before the lose control and it suddenly tilts, and skitters and breaks apart with pieces flying everywhere. They pick up the pieces and leave. Rarely do they ever show up again.

KG4CGC
10-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Speaking of eagles, I just saw a real eagle last Wednesday. Right here. 3 miles from my house.

NQ6U
10-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Speaking of eagles, I just saw a real eagle last Wednesday. Right here. 3 miles from my house.

Bald eagle?

K7SGJ
10-20-2014, 11:30 PM

Three miles? Man, you've got some good eyesight. You might even say eagle-eye.

NQ6U
10-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Three miles? Man, you've got some good eyesight. You might even say eagle-eye.

Or, he could be Natty Bumppo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natty_Bumppo#Fictional_biography).

n2ize
10-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Are you sure it wasn't Antonin Scalia flying through the sky in search of prey ? :lol:

KG4NEL
10-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Bald eagle?

One of these.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/AMC_Eagle_wagon_burgundy_ext-r.jpg