PDA

View Full Version : New old toy

kb2crk
10-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Pretty much a nostalgia piece for the shack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281441186943?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tested it this morning and it still works.
The SBE Trinidad was my first CB and what got me interested in radio to start with.

kd6nig
10-06-2014, 03:30 PM
23 channel. Nice. Almost looks like the one my friends' Dad had in his garage.

He'd turn it on with the radio when he was working outside. Had an antenna on a pole outside.

Except for me and my friends in High School who used them as a party line, I doubt he heard much other stuff. We were always on 21, and he had it on that or 17. I never saw him use it, but it did work, as my friend called me on it once when I was about to pull into his driveway.

My parents had the Radio Shack "base" 40 channel version with the only display on it being the channel number and a LED bargraph for "signal." They had it in the kitchen, then my Dad discovered the thing only worked more than a mile at night, so he uninstalled his mobile and it. I wound up with it in my bedroom, the mobile went into a box somewhere. When I left home I left it behind, who knows where it wound up.

I got my Ham ticket 2 weeks after graduating (well, I successfully tested) and had "hardcopy" by the time I left for tech school. When I got my first 2m mobile, the seldom used CB in the car left it and never came back. And that was it.

I'm guessing my parents yardsaled all that stuff. I think I gave away or sold for cheap my stuff as well.

WØTKX
10-06-2014, 07:00 PM
I had one of these, just AM of course. Decent tho, fit in my Opel Manta.

http://radiopics.com/CB_Radio/USA%20CB/2-Mobile/SBE/Photos/SBE_Brute.jpg

N8YX
10-06-2014, 08:48 PM
SBE, eh?

On my project pile is a non working, beat to shit LCB-8. That right there is a rare radio. Its guts are going in a stripped SB104 chassis. Main tuning knob (off an SB102) will be the channel switch. It'll look just like a 104 except for the lettering, dual meters and channel/clock readout when powered up. Everything red, of course.

WØTKX
10-06-2014, 08:56 PM
SBE intrigued me as a kid, because I thought I could afford one.
I ended up with a Heathkit as my first SSB rig.

N8YX
10-06-2014, 09:02 PM
They used a 7.8MHz IF in the "S" series (SSB) and were a pretty good competitor to Cobra's and Uniden's high end offerings.

I always thought I wanted a Tram D201A or Golden Eagle MkIVA as a kid. Then I grew up and got CPI and Stoner stuff.

WØTKX
10-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Didn't do much CB till about 10 years after I got my ham ticket. Nobody to talk to.

I do have a Johnson 352 SSB rig now, and it's damn decent, when I bother to use it.

Kind of fun to run it through the tuner to ladder line and the big dipole. :lol:

K7SGJ
10-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Didn't do much CB till about 10 years after I got my ham ticket. Nobody to talk to.

I do have a Johnson 352 SSB rig now, and it's damn decent, when I bother to use it.

Kind of fun to run it through the tuner to ladder line and the big dipole. :lol:

I always liked the Johnson line of that era. Most all of them that crossed my bench were from cockpit error. Usually audio outs or rf PA. The layout was nice, and easy to work on. They all sounded good, too. It was a shame they went away.

kb2crk
10-07-2014, 01:13 AM
My father had a brute in his 60 Studebaker lark wagon. Had a formula d in the boat and other cars. The Trinidad was his base that got handed down. My first ssh ham rig was a hw101.

w2amr
10-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Pretty much a nostalgia piece for the shack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281441186943?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tested it this morning and it still works.
The SBE Trinidad was my first CB and what got me interested in radio to start with.
Nice find. I had a sidbander II mobile rig way back when.

kb2crk
10-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Nice find. I had a sidbander II mobile rig way back when.
I just got one of those off of ebay for 20 bucks. I am going to pull the Motorola Mocat out of the van and put the SBE in....

kb2vxa
10-16-2014, 07:16 AM
My OM had one of those in his car back in the daze, SSB was limited to 16 and there wasn't much activity. It sounded FB on SSB but yellowy on AM, I hope for your sake it was just that one rig.