PDA

View Full Version : VOX + Soundcard Modes = Accidental 599 Contact

koØm
10-02-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm monitoring the receiver, looking at the waterfall trying to figure out exactly what mode these stations were operating; sounds like a four tones flute. I've got a copy of the "Digital Rosetta Stone" comparing the signals to the ones on the paper, no match.

I'm using HRD ver. 5x and DM780 and I am running thru all the soundcard modes looking for a match.

I did a left click on a MACRO and, the transmitter took off....in RTTY somewhere around 14.076 MHz. At the end of the transmission, on the waterfall, a station answered my call; I acknowledged his call, gave him a signal report, logged my only RTTY contact and I then went CB "10-7 on transmit and 10-8 on receive". I deactivated the VOX also; still have not decoded the flute signals

The MACRO's are screwed up and, although I edit them, it doesn't "stick" when I save the changes, they always revert back to the default settings.

KC2UGV
10-02-2014, 04:54 PM
The flute sounds were likely JT65-HF

W5BRM
10-02-2014, 04:54 PM
JT65. Sounds like a demented icecream truck...lol nice someone came back to you in rtty in the jt65/9 segment. If you wanna decode the jt65, get a program WSJT-x by K1JT. its an intersting mode. I use it almost exclusively on 40m evenings and overnight. none of the other programs like fldigi or HRD support jt65 or jt9

koØm
10-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Duh, I didn't make the connection until the flute started playing out of my PC Speakers

I have had JT65-HF version 1.0.9.3 installed for about a week but it's not liking my sound card config (dedicated card for digital modes, other handles computer sounds). I select the dedicated card for input and output but, input shows on waterfall but output refuses to go where directed to sound card interface, pipes its way to the main output speakers. DM-780 works like it should so, I know that the interface is OK.

Gonna try the WSJT-x program and see if my install works better.

W5BRM
10-02-2014, 05:36 PM
I been having a ball with it.

http://www.hrdlog.net/ViewLogbook.aspx?user=N2NKW

Gonna try to get back on tonight but i gotta look at my coax. Might have broken the center conductor when I was working on the dipole. the mfj259c shows the swr fluctuating like the coax is broken inside. Just need to figure out where its busted so I can figure out how to fix it.

koØm
10-02-2014, 06:55 PM
JT65. Sounds like a demented icecream truck...lol nice someone came back to you in rtty in the jt65/9 segment. If you wanna decode the jt65, get a program WSJT-x by K1JT. its an intersting mode. I use it almost exclusively on 40m evenings and overnight. none of the other programs like fldigi or HRD support jt65 or jt9

I "got it going on", WSJT-x works better for me than the other program; took a little dialing in to get the CAT to work with the radio but, like they used to say in the old days, "I'm in like Flynn"

K7SGJ
10-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I "got it going on", WSJT-x works better for me than the other program; took a little dialing in to get the CAT to work with the radio but, like they used to say in the old days, "I'm in like Flynn"

Errol would be proud.