PDA

View Full Version : Why don't I ever have any good ideas like THIS

W5BRM
09-27-2014, 10:50 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11126300/Ohio-mans-potato-salad-dream-comes-true-after-55000-raised-on-Kickstarter.html

Zack Brown had jokingly sought $10 on Kickstarter – a website which allows people to raise funds for projects – in July to buy potato salad ingredients, but his mission drew global attention and earned tens of thousands of dollars.

Wonder if I should kickstart a campaign to get some new shoes or something....lol

NQ6U
09-27-2014, 10:53 PM
I tried it, but everybody wanted me to sent them ten bucks instead.

W5BRM
09-27-2014, 10:58 PM
I tried it, but everybody wanted me to sent them ten bucks instead.

LOL same here.... hey did you see this story? (nothing like derailing my own threadlllol)

http://www.newser.com/story/196442/35k-pounds-of-raw-chicken-found-rotting-in-truck.html

Thats a lot of chicken. Glad the kickstarter guy didnt try to ransom stuff like this guy did...lol

NQ6U
09-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Oh, man, I just imagine what a mess that must be and some poor schmuck is going to have to muck that trailer out, too.

NQ6U
09-27-2014, 11:12 PM
And I've probably been in that truck stop.

W5BRM
09-28-2014, 08:41 AM
And I've probably been in that truck stop.

Think I was there once like 15y ago. Been long LONG time since i been in Montana. Think that trailer is due for a complete rebuild or its totaled. Hard to tell. The frame might be ok but the interior would be GONE all the way to the skin. No way to salvage that if it been sitting a month or more. Certanly aren't going to make it able to haul foods again without rebuilding from scratch...lol

NQ6U
09-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Think I was there once like 15y ago. Been long LONG time since i been in Montana. Think that trailer is due for a complete rebuild or its totaled. Hard to tell. The frame might be ok but the interior would be GONE all the way to the skin. No way to salvage that if it been sitting a month or more. Certanly aren't going to make it able to haul foods again without rebuilding from scratch...lol

Yeah, that's for sure. All the wood and insulation would have to be replaced. Unless it's a pretty new trailer, it probably wouldn't be worth the expense.

n2ize
09-28-2014, 03:25 PM
I prefer electric starters to kickstarters.

NQ6U
09-28-2014, 03:33 PM

What's that have to do with a trailer full of rotten chicken?

W5BRM
09-28-2014, 04:47 PM
We had one of our drivers drop a dry van at a chocolate plant a number of years ago. Some guys weren't paying attention and they loaded 42k lbs worth of chocolate bars on it. They then put it in their drop yard for 4 days in the middle of July. On the 5th day, one of our drivers went to pick it up and saw this brown puddle leaking out it. They opened it up and there was chocolate and wrappers ALL over the inside of that trailer. They notified us and we ended up taking it to a tanker wash facility and they took a steam blaster to it. Took them about 2 days to get it totally clean. A week later it was back in service. It cost that shipper about $7k to get that taken care of. To this day, that shipper always physically comes out and verifies that the trailer is a reefer before allowing it to be dropped...lol they learned their lesson good I think

NQ6U
09-28-2014, 05:30 PM
I can't think of any stories quite like that from my driving career; most of my crazy driving tales are more along the lines of the time I picked up a load of crated Honda motorcycles in Seattle, bound for Romeoville, IL. When I got to the consignee, I was told "Oh, no, that wasn't supposed to come here, it was supposed to go to our facility in Virginia." So, after the requisite phone calls to dispatch, off I go to the east coast, only, guess what happens when I get there? Yep, exactly: "Oh, no, that wasn't supposed to come here, it was supposed to go to our facility in Illinois"!

It finally did end up back in Romeoville. No skin off my nose, I got paid for the miles. In fact, I thought it was pretty funny.

W7XF
09-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Did you get a free sample, Your HolyShitness?

KG4NEL
09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
We had one of our drivers drop a dry van at a chocolate plant a number of years ago. Some guys weren't paying attention and they loaded 42k lbs worth of chocolate bars on it. They then put it in their drop yard for 4 days in the middle of July. On the 5th day, one of our drivers went to pick it up and saw this brown puddle leaking out it. They opened it up and there was chocolate and wrappers ALL over the inside of that trailer. They notified us and we ended up taking it to a tanker wash facility and they took a steam blaster to it. Took them about 2 days to get it totally clean. A week later it was back in service. It cost that shipper about $7k to get that taken care of. To this day, that shipper always physically comes out and verifies that the trailer is a reefer before allowing it to be dropped...lol they learned their lesson good I think

Melts in your trailer, not in your hand?

W5BRM
09-29-2014, 10:52 AM
The BEST trip I ever had. When I first started driving back in the early 90's I picked up a load of pet food in Richmond Va. Had to take it to Terminal Island, Los Angeles. Some 2500 miles 1 way. I get the load out there and back into the dock. The loaders unload the product. I walk back out to the truck and the loaders tell me not to go anywhere. I go back inside and see the dock guys walking around each pallet and putting stickers on them. Then they start putting them back on my truck. I was like "WTF?" The shipping foreman comes out and says I'm taking it back to Virginia. I went back to the truck to let dispatch know something was up. I get the load information that sends me right back where I came from just as I get into the truck.

I asked dispatch what was going on. They said that the pet food came from offshore via Terminal Island but wasn't properly tagged for import before shipping to the Virginia DC. It required the proper import stickers on each pallet from the point of import into the US. They told me just go back to Virginia. I was on TI for about 2 hours and then headed right back where I came from...lol 5k+ miles coast to coast in 8 days. I don't get stuff like that anymore but that was one trip I really didn't any problem doing...lol

NQ6U
09-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Good miles are good miles. That's exactly how I looked at the motorcycle thing—almost twice the miles I expected to get paid for that load.

Seattle, WA to Romeoville, IL:
2,070 miles

Romeoville, IL to Virgina Beach, VA:
916 miles

Virginia Beach, VA to Romeoville, IL:
916 miles

Total:
3902 miles

Not many loads give you that kind of mileage!

K7SGJ
09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
What a load, eh?

NA4BH
09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
After sitting and driving all those miles did you need a flat bed to lay on to straighten your back?

kd6nig
09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
This seems to happen quite a lot. I'm a security supervisor for a distribution center and have been for others over 11 or so years.

I can't believe the number of loads at one place that came in from back East...then we were sending the product right back a week or so later.

You'd think with computers nowadays there would be a lot better planning, but thats just me thinking I suppose!

w6tmi
09-30-2014, 02:21 PM

I dont cotton to that there new teck nall a gee!

KG4CGC
09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
<snip>

You'd think with computers nowadays there would be a lot better planning, but that's just me thinking I suppose!

People have to enter that in, even today. Automated accounting, inventory, delivery tracking still requires human input. I think it's because as always, they discover something that they decide doesn't work in the real world after implementing the system.

It's OK though. That's good for jobs.
42,000. Hmmm. I think that's some kind of number.

NQ6U
09-30-2014, 10:09 PM
After sitting and driving all those miles did you need a flat bed to lay on to straighten your back?

Nope, I par-tayed. I grossed almost $1300 hauling those suckers around.

K7SGJ
09-30-2014, 10:56 PM
I drove some hookers home. I didn't make a dime from hauling those suckers.

NA4BH
09-30-2014, 11:12 PM
I drove some hookers home. I didn't make a dime from hauling those suckers.

Did you bend them over before you drove them home?

KK4AMI
10-01-2014, 06:22 AM
Did you bend them over before you drove them home?

I hear that he took them "Around the World". That should have added up to some mileage!

K7SGJ
10-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I hear that he took them "Around the World". That should have added up to some mileage!

No joke. I only had some loose change on me, and ended up in the hole, so to speak.