PDA

View Full Version : Meet Stella the solar powerd car range 500 miles.

PA5COR
09-24-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2767806/Meet-Stella-solar-powered-car-drives-500-miles-SINGLE-charge-warns-traffic-lights-change.html

The lightweight, wedge-shaped electric car charges itself with solar cells It was built at Eindhoven University of Technology in Holland
It travels 500 miles (800km) on a single charge at speeds of 80mph (130km/h)
This distance is increased if the sun is shining thanks to panels on the roof
Car also features a tablet that shows driver when traffic lights will change
And Stella's steering wheel expands if you drive too fast
Stella is a prototype, but recently drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
A solar-powered family car has completed a drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco fuelled entirely by sunshine - a journey covering almost 385 miles (619km).
Called Stella, the vehicle can travel up to 500 miles (800 km) on a single charge, clocking speeds of up to 80mph (130 km).

The prototype four-seater has solar cells on its roof to provide power while driving, and it boasts a tablet that tracks traffic lights.

The vehicle was created by a group called Solar Tam Eindhoven, based at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands.
Stella's recent journey took it up California's scenic Pacific Coast Highway into the centre of L.A.

The 1.5-kilowatt array of solar panels on top of the car, which cost about £2,600 ($4,260) to produce, supply power to the car's lithium ion battery.
At the back of the car, the panels can be lifted up to reveal a boot, and according toTakePart (http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/09/22/take-ride-solar-powered-electric-car-goes-500-miles-charge), other novelties include a steering wheel that expands when a user drives too fast, and contracts when they drive too slow.
It weighs 855lbs (390kg) and is 15ft (4.6 metres) long, while the body of the vehicle is made of carbon fibre. Its aerodynamic shape also helps to increase its driving range.
But the car is less than 4ft (1.2 metres) tall, so getting in is a bit of a squeeze.
Stella can even communicate with other cars; during an example, it relayed traffic information to a Tesla Model S nearby.
And this extends to traffic lights as well - a tablet screen in the car will tell the driver how long until a light up ahead turns red or green.

NQ6U
09-24-2014, 03:47 PM
If your gonna insist on doing copypasta posts, you really ought to learn how to adjust font attributes.

And, btw, if the thing can go five hundred miles between charges, the solar cells weren't really necessary for a trip between LA and San Francisco since that's only about four hundred miles.

N2CHX
09-24-2014, 03:55 PM
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13113&stc=1

KJ3N
09-24-2014, 04:33 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2767806/Meet-Stella-solar-powered-car-drives-500-miles-SINGLE-charge-warns-traffic-lights-change.html

The lightweight, wedge-shaped electric car charges itself with solar cells It was built at Eindhoven University of Technology in Holland
It travels 500 miles (800km) on a single charge at speeds of 80mph (130km/h)
This distance is increased if the sun is shining thanks to panels on the roof
Car also features a tablet that shows driver when traffic lights will change
And Stella's steering wheel expands if you drive too fast
Stella is a prototype, but recently drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
A solar-powered family car has completed a drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco fuelled entirely by sunshine - a journey covering almost 385 miles (619km).
Called Stella, the vehicle can travel up to 500 miles (800 km) on a single charge, clocking speeds of up to 80mph (130 km).

The prototype four-seater has solar cells on its roof to provide power while driving, and it boasts a tablet that tracks traffic lights.

The vehicle was created by a group called Solar Tam Eindhoven, based at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands.
Stella's recent journey took it up California's scenic Pacific Coast Highway into the centre of L.A.

The 1.5-kilowatt array of solar panels on top of the car, which cost about £2,600 ($4,260) to produce, supply power to the car's lithium ion battery.
At the back of the car, the panels can be lifted up to reveal a boot, and according toTakePart (http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/09/22/take-ride-solar-powered-electric-car-goes-500-miles-charge), other novelties include a steering wheel that expands when a user drives too fast, and contracts when they drive too slow.
It weighs 855lbs (390kg) and is 15ft (4.6 metres) long, while the body of the vehicle is made of carbon fibre. Its aerodynamic shape also helps to increase its driving range.
But the car is less than 4ft (1.2 metres) tall, so getting in is a bit of a squeeze.
Stella can even communicate with other cars; during an example, it relayed traffic information to a Tesla Model S nearby.
And this extends to traffic lights as well - a tablet screen in the car will tell the driver how long until a light up ahead turns red or green.

See how much easier that is to read? Next time, how about just a link, OK?

n2ize
09-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Only one problem. If you drive at night your range will be diminished. Also, if you live way up in the northern latitudes forget about driving it in the winter. Might be good in Florida and the Southwest during the summertime.

KG4CGC
09-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Only one problem. If you drive at night your range will be diminished. Also, if you live way up in the northern latitudes forget about driving it in the winter. Might be good in Florida and the Southwest during the summertime.

Yeah. A good car for up North would be one powered by the reaction of cold.

n2ize
09-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Cold fusion !! :snicker:

n2ize
09-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Interesting, it appears the US Army is planning (in 2012) to employ solar power (i.e. solar microgrids) for at least some of its energy needs. I wonder if this is in regular usage now.

http://www.army.mil/article/73190/Solar_power_to_energize_Detroit_Arsenal/

N2NH
09-24-2014, 08:55 PM
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13113&stc=1

So that's what that does! One of the few buttons I've never used. I just adjust the font and size the way it looks most legible. Thanks. I do learn something new every day. At this rate, I'll be an auto mechanic in another 40 years. ;)

N2NH
09-24-2014, 08:56 PM

My first wife could make that an all-season affair. Seriously. The temperature in the room seemed to drop ten or more degrees when she walked in.

K7SGJ
09-24-2014, 09:22 PM
My first wife could make that an all-season affair. Seriously. The temperature in the room seemed to drop ten or more degrees when she walked in.

Keeps the beer cold........

PA5COR
09-25-2014, 12:42 AM
I don't see the problem driving at night, LED lights all around would add max 40 - 50 watt extra to the propultion use of power, the internal battery can get you through the night.
In real life, how many trips do you make driving an all nighter?

And yes in my youthfull urge to post I forgot to check the font sorry about that...

n2ize
09-25-2014, 01:28 AM
I don't see the problem driving at night, LED lights all around would add max 40 - 50 watt extra to the propultion use of power, the internal battery can get you through the night.

Lots of roads in the US don't have any lights at all so you're not going to get any charging from streetlights while you are driving at night. None of the highways round here have lights and the only road illumination comes from your headlights. And even if there were streetlights are not going to give you much of a boost... think watts/m^2 . In the winter days are very short up north here and often your car is going to be covered with snow, not to mention lots of cloudy snowy days. And in the far northern latitudes where you get perpetual night during certain winter months your not going to get any charging at all. Unless the car also has a provision for plugging in and charging off 120 VAC. I think solar power is a great idea but I think it does have it's limitations. A car like this would be better suited to southern latitudes or summer months. And it does make a lot more sense than the thorium powered car.

PA5COR
09-25-2014, 03:35 AM
Electric cars with combined own solar cells on board and regaining power by breaking on the electric motor using it as alternator will make the distance the car can run on the internal battery viable for daily use, with the steps forward in battery weight and power per pound.

Cars can be charged here on 230 volt or 400 volt 32 amp power source, from green sources like wind turbines.
Having your own solar system with storage battery and charge system at home is another option.
a range of 500 miles would be enough for 99% of the travelling most people do with cars, fast charge stations running 400 volt 32 or even 63 Amps would give you a fast charge.

Living on or above the arctic circle electric cars might be less suitable, but most people live below that circle ;)
Certainly when the prices of solar cells and batteries keep going down and solar cell efficiency end battery capacity per pound keeps going up, the concept becomes more available and cheaper and running costs will push fossile fuel cars out of existence.
In the mean time a dual propulsion concept with a small fossile fuel engine with electric as concept.

N2NH
09-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Keeps the beer cold........

Shrinkage too. YMMV.

NQ6U
09-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Goddamn, John, I think we were both married to the same woman (at different times, of course).

n2ize
09-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Thorium.

P.S. One of the biggest problems with solar energy is that solar panels are highly inefficient. They output about 20% of the energy that is put in. Not that it's a big deal when it comes to energy from the sun but, it takes a large surface area to produce a small amount of energy. They also have to be replaced periodically. To produce a suitable amount of energy from a man made light source, say a street lamp, would not provide much of a yield.

K7SGJ
09-26-2014, 08:14 AM
Thorium.

P.S. One of the biggest problems with solar energy is that solar panels are highly inefficient. They output about 20% of the energy that is put in. Not that it's a big deal when it comes to energy from the sun but, it takes a large surface area to produce a small amount of energy. They also have to be replaced periodically. To produce a suitable amount of energy from a man made light source, say a street lamp, would not provide much of a yield.

It sure helps calm down crazy people. Oh.........wait.........that's Thorazine....... Never mind.

N2NH
09-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Goddamn, John, I think we were both married to the same woman (at different times, of course).

I wouldn't be surprised. Hubby #2 became deceased. They never caught the guy and he left her a sizable fortune. #3 looks like the saddest guy on the Internet (even worse than I was). I've seen puppies that look that sad but never a full grown man.

If Global Warming ever gets going, she might beat jumping in a freezer... NAW.

PA5COR
09-26-2014, 09:07 AM
You are running behind, the latest solar cells get over 35% efficiency, prices fell so they now are on par or cheaper as the normal way of making electricity.

Thorium is no solution, exists only on paper in theoretical thoughts, before someone makes a decent design we're 10 years down the road, buiding one is another 10 years so that is out.
And as nuclear energy proved there is no safe reactor.

We do have off the plank wind turbines proven to work, solar cells both became much cheaper by mass production, and the other green energy delivering systems all valid and safe working.
Ebergy storage systems are in place in larger solar ebergy plants molten salt, where applicable use the overcapacity to pump water into a higher reservoir and use that stored power at night to get a 24/7 energy supply.
Solar cells will also give energy at the place it is needed, no transport losses of 7% to transport electricity over large distances.
Seems your energy providers already got the message, more as 50% of all new power plants to generate electricity in the last year in the USA comes from green sources.

Thorium.

WØTKX
09-26-2014, 09:26 AM
http://www.felicianotypefoundry.com/cms/sites/default/files/image/Stella/Stella_Primeira%20Linha.jpg

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/02/02/which-solar-panels-most-efficient/

:stirpot:

K7SGJ
09-26-2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.felicianotypefoundry.com/cms/sites/default/files/image/Stella/Stella_Primeira%20Linha.jpg

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/02/02/which-solar-panels-most-efficient/

:stirpot:

Thank you. I had to go out and buy a 70 inch TV so I could see all of that.

NQ6U
09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7a1TxVV4Bg

n2ize
09-27-2014, 06:34 PM
You are running behind, the latest solar cells get over 35% efficiency, prices fell so they now are on par or cheaper as the normal way of making electricity.

35% still is small and when trying to convert LED street lights to energy at night is not going to deliver very much. It still bouild down to watts/cm^2. A car has only a limited amount of cm^2.

Thorium is no solution, exists only on paper in theoretical thoughts, before someone makes a decent design we're 10 years down the road, buiding one is another 10 years so that is out.

10 years ?? You are being conservative. as it stands the technology doesn;t exists and probably won't for far longer than 10 years. You missed my sarcasm. The throium car is basically bullshoot.

And as nuclear energy proved there is no safe reactor.

Has a gen 3 or 4 reactor caused any problems ? None that I know of and even those resulting from old gen plants is minimal. Nuclear energy + renewable energy is the way things are going to have to go if we expect to get the world off its addiction to fossil fuels.

We do have off the plank wind turbines proven to work, solar cells both became much cheaper by mass production, and the other green energy delivering systems all valid and safe working.

Yes, i agree. and this part is good and I hope it continues to advance.

Ebergy storage systems are in place in larger solar ebergy plants molten salt, where applicable use the overcapacity to pump water into a higher reservoir and use that stored power at night to get a 24/7 energy supply.

It takes a large amount of energy to melt salt. As it stands the grid is still a lousy source for energy storage.

Solar cells will also give energy at the place it is needed, no transport losses of 7% to transport electricity over large distances.

Assuming that every point of use can have a solar source in close proximity. Unfortunately this is not the case and long range transmission and storage are barriers that are still to be dealt with.

Seems your energy providers already got the message, more as 50% of all new power plants to generate electricity in the last year in the USA comes from green sources.

I don;t know our source but assuming it's correct then BRAVO !! I am all for the use of renewable energy.

N2NH
09-27-2014, 10:15 PM
With a name like "Stella" all I can think of is a Robot Maid built along the lines of Raquel Welch... and I promise to change her oil regularly. :)

PA5COR
09-28-2014, 03:16 AM
Highest energy efficiency s now over 40% tendency rising.
Depending on the use of that car 500 miles will do for most people in their daily use to travel, longer rides needs fast recharging points.

Thorium or pebble reactors if really safe can add to a extra source of grid energy, question is the safe part and the way we put away the used thorium.

As long 3rd and 4th generation nuke plants still are build on fault lines? yes still dangers there.
Still no solution for the Co2 generated by the massive concrete needed to build them, the extraction of ore and working that up till fuel and their transport and after use the safe disposal for 100.000 years needed, and the costly disposal of the old powerplant once it is running out of use.
All that time the population in a wide area around that plant is at risk, no insurance if things get wrong, no money paid out in damages and still health risks, how safe you build them.

The USA has large area's with lots of sun and "free" energy from the sun, no problem there as the Spanish solar energy plant proves working with super heated melted salt.
It is not the only way to store overcapacity and reuse in time of need of solar energy.

Put solar cells on houses, car garages, public buildings, office blocks and other existing buildings every where, energy is produced at local level as Germany etc does, you do know Germany has about the solar energy from the sun as Alaska? still the Germans produce 50% of the daily use from green sources, up to 100% in the weekends? most locally produced saving the 7% distribution losses.
Less need for centralized power plants as well.

35% still is small and when trying to convert LED street lights to energy at night is not going to deliver very much. It still bouild down to watts/cm^2. A car has only a limited amount of cm^2.

10 years ?? You are being conservative. as it stands the technology doesn;t exists and probably won't for far longer than 10 years. You missed my sarcasm. The throium car is basically bullshoot.

Has a gen 3 or 4 reactor caused any problems ? None that I know of and even those resulting from old gen plants is minimal. Nuclear energy + renewable energy is the way things are going to have to go if we expect to get the world off its addiction to fossil fuels.

Yes, i agree. and this part is good and I hope it continues to advance.

It takes a large amount of energy to melt salt. As it stands the grid is still a lousy source for energy storage.

Assuming that every point of use can have a solar source in close proximity. Unfortunately this is not the case and long range transmission and storage are barriers that are still to be dealt with.

I don;t know our source but assuming it's correct then BRAVO !! I am all for the use of renewable energy.

K0RGR
09-28-2014, 11:32 AM
The problem in this country is that every new energy source comes equipped with an army of protesters.

Recently, the three new solar plants in the California desert have come under fire due to alleged hazards to pilots flying into the area. The ecologically deluded are protesting that the solar plants are incinerating birds in midair -

PA5COR
09-28-2014, 01:03 PM
The odd bird might get a bit crispy if it flies into the beam of a solar energy plant as in Spain that bundles all solar energy to a tower to heat up salt.
The standard solar cells won't do that.
If the ecologists took the time to see how many birds get killed from the coal or gas fed plants by noxious fumes, cadmium, arsenic, etc they might be surprised that solar plant has less dead birds per kilowatt hour as the fossil fuel driven plants.

Oh well...

n2ize
10-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Cesium !!!!