PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Sweetners Linked to Obesity and Diabetes Upsurge

N2NH
09-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Hmmm... seems there was a certain member here NH who said this awhile back. Smart guy. that NH

Artificial sweeteners may contribute to soaring levels of diabetes, according to a controversial study that suggests the additives could exacerbate the problem they are meant to tackle.

Researchers in Israel found that artificial sweeteners used in diet drinks and other foods can disrupt healthy microbes that live in the gut, leading to higher blood sugar levels – an early sign of diabetes.
Sweeteners such as saccharin, aspartame and sucralose are widespread in western diets and are often used to cut calories or prevent tooth decay. The additives are so common that scientists behind the latest study called for a reassessment of the “massive usage” of the chemicals.
“Our findings suggest that non-caloric artificial sweeteners may have directly contributed to enhancing the exact epidemic that they themselves were intended to fight,” the authors write in the journal Nature (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature13793).

They're now moving the goal posts. Anyone who eventually tries to sue will not be able to because now they can say there was a study done on this and you didn't heed their advice.

Funny, the Hippies back in the early-mid 70s were warning about this. Wonder why it's taken 40 years for the evidence they had to turn up in the main$tream pre$$/re$earch?$?

Artificial sweeteners may promote diabetes, claim scientists (http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/17/artificial-sweeteners-diabetes-saccharin-blood-sugar)

K7SGJ
09-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... seems there was a certain member here NH who said this awhile back. Smart guy. that NH

They're now moving the goal posts. Anyone who eventually tries to sue will not be able to because now they can say there was a study done on this and you didn't heed their advice.

Funny, the Hippies back in the early-mid 70s were warning about this. Wonder why it's taken 40 years for the evidence they had to turn up in the main$tream pre$$/re$earch?$?

Artificial sweeteners may promote diabetes, claim scientists (http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/17/artificial-sweeteners-diabetes-saccharin-blood-sugar)

Why has it taken over 40 years? I think he short answer is "greedy bastids".

NA4BH
09-18-2014, 11:37 PM
I miss cyclomates, Pommac

http://monthlyrootbeer.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/xx041113-pommac.jpg

Holy crap that was good stuff.

n2ize
09-19-2014, 05:24 AM
Cyclamates are still in use in Europe. They didn't ban them in Europe because they found the supposed link between cyclamates and cancer to be insignificant. Cyclamates were the only artificial sweetener I could stand. All the others leave a sickly aftertaste that I can't stand. Saccharine, aspartame, stevia, etc. i never touch them or anything that contains them.

N2NH
09-19-2014, 06:48 AM
:snicker:

PA5COR
09-19-2014, 07:04 AM
never used the stuff, I don't drink fizzy drinks water, milk and coffee will do thank you, with some cane sugar in the coffee ( little bit)

N8YX
09-19-2014, 07:19 AM
never used the stuff, I don't drink fizzy drinks water, milk and coffee will do thank you, with some cane sugar in the coffee ( little bit)
Same here with the addition of strong stouts, porters and the like. Told 'DSG the other night at dinner that I cannot remember the last time I had a glass of soda (probably 15 years) and that I had no desire to ever drink another one.

We use cane sugar, molasses or honey to sweeten anything we eat, and if we buy from the store anything artificially sweetened never makes it into the cart.

Does make you wonder what else they're going to turn up regarding "improved" foodstuffs.

N2NH
09-19-2014, 07:36 AM
A lot of cough syrups have aspartame too. Gum, yogurt and Alka-Seltzer have it too.

It's in a lot of stuff these days.

PA5COR
09-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Which I also avoid like the plague, and opt for the normal sugar based kind.

WØTKX
09-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Still have an occasional Coke or Dr. Pepper. Not very often. Can't handle too much of it.
Root beer if I have a fast food combo, but I don't do that much either.

Never liked the taste of the fake stuff. Real dark brown sugar FTW.

N8XE
09-19-2014, 09:25 AM
My wife and I have cut back on our soda usage. We rarely use anything artificial in the sweetener department. I used to use Sweet and Low all the time but now I just drink my coffee black.

Jason N8XE

kd6nig
09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
One thing I have noticed about artificials is that they make stuff entirely WAY too sweet. That is why I don't like them much. I don't mind a little sweet, but I'm not really into really sweet stuff.

The artificial ones seem to just make it overpowering in everything I've tasted with it.

KC2UGV
09-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I wonder if it's more due to people eating more due to getting a "Free pass" because they used artificial sweetener. A lot like how some people walk 1/4 mile, and then feel they can eat 5 donuts.

NQ6U
09-19-2014, 02:07 PM
I wonder if it's more due to people eating more due to getting a "Free pass" because they used artificial sweetener. A lot like how some people walk 1/4 mile, and then feel they can eat 5 donuts.

Obesity is directly correlated with exposure to electromagnetic fields. Here's proof: next time at you're at a hamfest, count the number of slim people in the crowd.

I rest my case.

n2ize
09-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Very likely a possibility. Like they say no pain no gain.

n2ize
09-19-2014, 03:17 PM
Obesity is directly correlated with exposure to electromagnetic fields. Here's proof: next time at you're at a hamfest, count the number of slim people in the crowd.

I rest my case.

No argument here. :)

kd6nig
09-19-2014, 04:14 PM

I rest my case.

I think its more of the fact they sit in front of that magic radio box all day.

Source: Security guards, who also do a lot of sitting, as well as truck drivers.

N2NH
09-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Something I didn't know...

Aspartame can also be in some prescription and over-the-counter medications. The FDA requires that these medications include a statement that they contain phenylalanine.

Time to take a look. I'm sure I've seen that in at least one of my meds and didn't know that it was Aspartame.

LINK: Foods with Aspartame. (http://www.ehow.com/list_7316633_list-foods-containing-aspartame.html)

kb2vxa
09-20-2014, 10:04 PM
You forgot to mention the electromagnetic fields created on Field Day warp time-space creating the illusion of hams thinking they're young, slim, and haven't acquired that rotten fish smell.

N8XE
09-22-2014, 09:15 AM
You forgot to mention the electromagnetic fields created on Field Day warp time-space creating the illusion of hams thinking they're young, slim, and haven't acquired that rotten fish smell.

Wait, I thought it was the beer goggles!! (I really don't like how Frank is looking at me lately... <shudder>) All this time it was the RF.

Man I need a new hobby.. :D

Jason N8XE

kb2vxa
09-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Beer goggles, gay goggles, I have better things to do on Field Day... like the hilariously funny stuff that goes down on the slap happy 80M overnight.

"All this time it was the RF."
Yep, ever since the 60s it's been the RF at ha ha ha HAAAA RRRRaceway Park! For those who didn't listen to WABC the intro to the commercial was taken directly from the beginning of Wipeout.