PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Egg Cream Soda

N2NH
09-17-2014, 12:21 PM
But there's no egg or cream in it.

Chocolate Egg Cream (Brooklyn Egg Cream)
1 Serving

¼cup plus 2 tablespoons (3 ozs) of cold milk

¾cup (6 ozs) of plain cold Seltzer

*3 ozs (1½ ozs) Fox's U-bet Chocolate Syrup (more if preferred - to taste)

Pour the milk into an egg cream glass (tall 12ozs) and add Seltzer until the froth comes up to the top of the glass. Pour syrup to the center of the glass and gently push a spoon into the center of the glass. Stir gently without taking the fizz out of the seltzer. Serve immediately.

*There really is no substitute for Fox's U-bet syrup in this instance. The Vanilla Egg Cream Soda is the same but substitute Fox's U-bet Vanilla Syrup in the same amount instead of the chocolate flavored syrup.

K7SGJ
09-17-2014, 01:59 PM
I tried the recipe, but the Alka Seltzer made it taste real salty. Or maybe it was because I used a tin can instead of the egg cream glass.

kb2vxa
09-17-2014, 08:26 PM
The only Fox here is channel 5, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

KG4CGC
09-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Soda Stream.

W7XF
09-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Baking Soda.

n6hcm
09-18-2014, 01:57 AM
no baking soda. sodastream works just fine. i've been enjoying these again ...

n2ize
09-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Fox's U-BET is not as good as it was in the old days. At least that is what a lot of old timers tell me. I guess the lab boys were ordered to change the recipe to cut manufacturing costs. When I worked for a brief time in General Foods in their R&D dept. I quickly learned that most of our food is not developed by grandma's in kitchens, or by chefs. It's developed in modern industrial labs by chemists under the guidance of bean counters.

K7SGJ
09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Fox's U-BET is not as good as it was in the old days. At least that is what a lot of old timers tell me. I guess the lab boys were ordered to change the recipe to cut manufacturing costs. When I worked for a brief time in General Foods in their R&D dept. I quickly learned that most of our food is not developed by grandma's in kitchens, or by chefs. It's developed in modern industrial labs by chemists under the guidance of bean counters.

What happened? Did they run out of test monkeys? :stickpoke:

NQ6U
09-19-2014, 09:36 AM

Yeah—John finally quit.

n2ize
09-19-2014, 07:48 PM

No, the monkeys were the bosses.

kb2vxa
09-19-2014, 10:29 PM
You heard of the corporate monkey tree, those at the top looking down see smiling faces while at the bottom looking up see assholes.

N2NH
09-20-2014, 09:06 AM
You heard of the corporate monkey tree, those at the top looking down see smiling faces while at the bottom looking up see assholes.

That's the nice thing about the Internet. It tends to even the playing field so it doesn't really matter where you stand; it always looks like you're looking up.